The Student Room Group

Photoelectrics

Hey, can anyone please explain the difference between work function and energy band gap for semiconductors such as silicon? I understand that they both are significant as to the type of EM radiation that PV cells can absorb, but I don't understand why they have different values? Thanks so much
Original post by jaz_sull
Hey, can anyone please explain the difference between work function and energy band gap for semiconductors such as silicon? I understand that they both are significant as to the type of EM radiation that PV cells can absorb, but I don't understand why they have different values? Thanks so much

Heya, I'm going to put this in the physics forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=131
Hello and welcome to TSR.

Energy bands are the quantum energy levels allowed for electrons associated with any given atom. i.e. the shell distribution of electrons obeying the Pauli exclusion.

Thus energy absorption to promote an electron to a higher energy band can only be accomplished by photons of sufficient energy. (E=hv)
Photons are emitted when electrons drop energy bands and those photons are quantised to have a wavelength equivalent to the energy band-gap.

The definition of the work function is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from the highest filled level in the Fermi distribution at absolute zero such that it is STATIONARY at a point just outside the solid where no other field exists. i.e. to remove an electron from the surface of the material.

So far so good.

Extend the concept of energy bands to include a conduction band. i.e. electrons acquiring sufficient energy to be promoted out of the valence band so that they become free of the parent atom and able to drift within the lattice.

The band gap between the valence and conduction bands is markedly different for conductors, semiconductors and insulators and also temperature dependent.

Semiconductors have the property that some electrons will acquire enough thermal energy to enter the conduction band at room temperature. Thermal emission occurs.

The photoelectric effect is such that if the absorbed photon has greater energy than the work function then photoelectric emission will occur.
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik

Energy bands are the quantum energy levels allowed for electrons associated with any given atom. i.e. the shell distribution of electrons obeying the Pauli exclusion.

Thus energy absorption to promote an electron to a higher energy band can only be accomplished by photons of sufficient energy. (E=hv)
Photons are emitted when electrons drop energy bands and those photons are quantised to have a wavelength equivalent to the energy band-gap.

The definition of the work function is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from the highest filled level in the Fermi distribution at absolute zero such that it is STATIONARY at a point just outside the solid where no other field exists. i.e. to remove an electron from the surface of the material.

So far so good.

Extend the concept of energy bands to include a conduction band. i.e. electrons acquiring sufficient energy to be promoted out of the valence band so that they become free of the parent atom and able to drift within the lattice.

The band gap between the valence and conduction bands is markedly different for conductors, semiconductors and insulators and also temperature dependent.

Semiconductors have the property that some electrons will acquire enough thermal energy to enter the conduction band at room temperature. Thermal emission occurs.

The photoelectric effect is such that if the absorbed photon has greater energy than the work function then photoelectric emission will occur.

Would it be worth mentioning the equations for his favour?
Original post by Magistl
Feel free.
Reply 5

As Uberteknik stated how the photoelectric process works, here are the equations that explain the conditions mathematically:
Ey > work function + ev - If it obeys this inequality, a photocurrent will be detected.
Ey < work function + ev - If it obeys this inequality, no photocurrent will be dected.
Ev = work function + ev - This is the stopping potential, this potential is proportional to the frequency.

Ev = energy of photon
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, I'm going to put this in the physics forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Reply 7
Original post by Magistl

This has helped so much, thank you!
Reply 8
This has helped so much, thank you!

No worries.
Reply 9
Original post by uberteknik

So far so good.

Thanks, aha I feel as though all of this makes sense now!

Quick Reply

Latest