The Student Room Group

2024 Westminster 16+ Entry

Hi! Before you start reading, my word choices/spelling and grammar skills may drive you crazy, i suddenly started writing this at 3AM in the morning, typing on the computer half-asIeep thx!:smile:)I'm an international student preparing for the westminster school entrance exams coming up in November! I just wanted to see where I am and where other applicants are at(if it is comfortable for you to share) and im also looking for advices based on the entrance exam and interviews. I want to know if the exams only cover igcse knowledge?(kinda confused cause some people say its only up until igcse syllabus and some say its nearly a-level knowledge?)
To start with... my grades on my report card aren't so good(many people say that entrance exams are more important, so i am not too worried about this). The igcse subjects I take are: math, add maths, seperate science/three sciences, eng lang&lit, spanish, econ, PE. My choices for a-levels are: biology, chemistry, maths and probably econ or physics yes, i do suck at both physics and econ but its the only choice) I do many extra-curriculars, (i don't know which one i should mention in my interview could you please help me choose) starting from sports, I do swimming(my strongest sports; been to many comps and won numerous medals), fencing, golf, tennis, gymnastics, and figure skating. Instrumental-wise I play the flute, currently enrolled in the school orchestra and local youth orchestra(played solos in charity concerts, played for 7 years). Ok, here comes the academic chapter.. firstly the cca's im enrolled in: biology club, chemistry club, first aid club, physics club, school orchestra, debate club, MUN(yeah been to many conferences), cross stitch( if youre asking me how i participate in so many clubs, some of these cca's take place at lunch not only after school:smile: Current biology subject ambassador, transition ambassador, and house captain in school. I recently took the UKMT and got a gold certificate and i think thats it...:frown:( not much..I kinda regret not participating in any academic competitions, but its too late:wink: haha..
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cookie777
Hi! Before you start reading, my word choices/spelling and grammar skills may drive you crazy, i suddenly started writing this at 3AM in the morning, typing on the computer half-asIeep thx!:smile:)I'm an international student preparing for the westminster school entrance exams coming up in November! I just wanted to see where I am and where other applicants are at(if it is comfortable for you to share) and im also looking for advices based on the entrance exam and interviews. I want to know if the exams only cover igcse knowledge?(kinda confused cause some people say its only up until igcse syllabus and some say its nearly a-level knowledge?)
To start with... my grades on my report card aren't so good(many people say that entrance exams are more important, so i am not too worried about this). The igcse subjects I take are: math, add maths, seperate science/three sciences, eng lang&lit, spanish, econ, PE. My choices for a-levels are: biology, chemistry, maths and probably econ or physics yes, i do suck at both physics and econ but its the only choice) I do many extra-curriculars, (i don't know which one i should mention in my interview could you please help me choose) starting from sports, I do swimming(my strongest sports; been to many comps and won numerous medals), fencing, golf, tennis, gymnastics, and figure skating. Instrumental-wise I play the flute, currently enrolled in the school orchestra and local youth orchestra(played solos in charity concerts, played for 7 years). Ok, here comes the academic chapter.. firstly the cca's im enrolled in: biology club, chemistry club, first aid club, physics club, school orchestra, debate club, MUN(yeah been to many conferences), cross stitch( if youre asking me how i participate in so many clubs, some of these cca's take place at lunch not only after school:smile: Current biology subject ambassador, transition ambassador, and house captain in school. I recently took the UKMT and got a gold certificate and i think thats it...:frown:( not much..I kinda regret not participating in any academic competitions, but its too late:wink: haha..

Well igcse knowledge is nearly A level, theyre not gonna expect u to know stuff that is entirely A level or beyond (e.g. theyre not gonna ask u to use MO in ur chemsitry exam, talk about Krebs in biology, do any non trival calculus in maths or talk about photoelectric effect in physics) however u should expect that it will probably be akin to the hardest igcse questions and maybe slightly further. Honestly tho I really dont think its much to stress about, if ur good at the subjects u wanna do then youll get a place, then u have the interviews, idk how theyll work for international applications, but you have stuff to talk about (I assume ur at the highest grade in ur country for flute), uve done a lot of clubs and just show ur interest in the subject. If ur international student are u applying for just boarding schools, because if ur actually moving to england, there are a lot of schools which I think have much better teaching than westminster, winchester, eton those kinda schools - like I know that my school and the girls school right next to us absolutely have better teaching, at least in the subjects I do (bio, chem, physics and maths), and especially in chemistry.
Reply 2
Has anyone else fully applied for entry 2024?
Reply 3
Your extracurriculars don’t matter so much if your grades and exam/interviews aren’t great, sorry. Also they favour girls over boys, and for the most part, state educated for secondary over private, as, for example, I would have had to work 2x as hard to achieve a 9 in maths vs a private school kid, as they have had all the support they need and more on tap.
Original post by leila2008
Has anyone else fully applied for entry 2024?

hi i have fully applied, with english geography economics and philosophy
Reply 5
Original post by zziawoo
hi i have fully applied, with english geography economics and philosophy

that’s cool, actually talking to people who are applying same year as me, I’ve 3/4 applied, with english, econ, history, & bio
that’s cool, actually talking to people who are applying same year as me, I’ve 3/4 applied, with english, econ, history, & bio

oh we have quite similar choices then :smile: how are you going about revising econ? i've never studied the subject before and the westminster website says there's not really much economics involved in the entrance exam but i'm a bit worried about the last essay question because it's usually something quite strange. i think the last one was 'should children be allowed to protest about issues such as climate change' or something like that and i was like woah i would have been so stuck on a question like that
Reply 7
Original post by zziawoo
oh we have quite similar choices then :smile: how are you going about revising econ? i've never studied the subject before and the westminster website says there's not really much economics involved in the entrance exam but i'm a bit worried about the last essay question because it's usually something quite strange. i think the last one was 'should children be allowed to protest about issues such as climate change' or something like that and i was like woah i would have been so stuck on a question like that

To be honest, I’m going to brush up on my essay writing, and hope that I get lucky with the question they give us lool, even if my actual points are relatively weak, my structure and logical chain will be there.

To be honest I’m stronger in the other 3 subjects, this will probably be my weakest exam, and with good reason, I haven’t taken it at gcse

Should we make a gc?? I’m so nervous for the exams and interviews
To be honest, I’m going to brush up on my essay writing, and hope that I get lucky with the question they give us lool, even if my actual points are relatively weak, my structure and logical chain will be there.

To be honest I’m stronger in the other 3 subjects, this will probably be my weakest exam, and with good reason, I haven’t taken it at gcse

yes a gc sounds great it'd be so nice to have an actual place for questions and stuff

yeah i don't study it at gcse either ahhh so are you just going to use the structure of an english essay?
Reply 9
Original post by Ariichu
Well igcse knowledge is nearly A level, theyre not gonna expect u to know stuff that is entirely A level or beyond (e.g. theyre not gonna ask u to use MO in ur chemsitry exam, talk about Krebs in biology, do any non trival calculus in maths or talk about photoelectric effect in physics) however u should expect that it will probably be akin to the hardest igcse questions and maybe slightly further. Honestly tho I really dont think its much to stress about, if ur good at the subjects u wanna do then youll get a place, then u have the interviews, idk how theyll work for international applications, but you have stuff to talk about (I assume ur at the highest grade in ur country for flute), uve done a lot of clubs and just show ur interest in the subject. If ur international student are u applying for just boarding schools, because if ur actually moving to england, there are a lot of schools which I think have much better teaching than westminster, winchester, eton those kinda schools - like I know that my school and the girls school right next to us absolutely have better teaching, at least in the subjects I do (bio, chem, physics and maths), and especially in chemistry.

Thanks for the advice! I might as just work my way through AS level just in case, and im also applying to 2 other different schools (wellington and sevenoaks) so just keeping my finger crossed!:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by cookie777
Thanks for the advice! I might as just work my way through AS level just in case, and im also applying to 2 other different schools (wellington and sevenoaks) so just keeping my finger crossed!:smile:

If u want some pretty good revision notes I wrote for bio, chem and physics, so that u can skim through the AS stuff and see what u could try working on, just send me a private message or smth (its been a while since someone at westminster told me what spec they do so it might be different, but general stuff should be the same especially for bio and chemistry)
Hi,
I am a girl, also planning to apply for Westminster 2024 entry. Could you possibly add me to any Westminster group chats? I can pm you my insta/number. Thanks :smile:
Original post by zziawoo
yes a gc sounds great it'd be so nice to have an actual place for questions and stuff

yeah i don't study it at gcse either ahhh so are you just going to use the structure of an english essay?

Hi! I'm also applying this year- if you make a gc can you please add me to it if you want? I can dm you my insta. Thankss
Original post by 11academic11
Hi,
I am a girl, also planning to apply for Westminster 2024 entry. Could you possibly add me to any Westminster group chats? I can pm you my insta/number. Thanks :smile:

Original post by Stephhhhhhhh
Hi! I'm also applying this year- if you make a gc can you please add me to it if you want? I can dm you my insta. Thankss

hiya we didn't actually end up making one haha
should we make one? I think it would be useful
Original post by zziawoo
Reply 15

yes we should make one, Hi i'm also applying and am going to the open day on Monday. Im going for maths further maths physics and econ. But a GC would be great or better yet a discord
I’m going to the open day too! My parents just told me a few hours ago that I’m applying for Westminster 16+ but my brother already goes so it’s not a super new idea. Does anybody have an idea what they’d be doing for the Spanish and music exams?
(edited 8 months ago)

hi i'm also applying for westminster 2024 entry. If you've made a gc, can you add me to the chat? I'm sooo nervous
Original post by Stephhhhhhhh

Original post by Sach_64
yes we should make one, Hi i'm also applying and am going to the open day on Monday. Im going for maths further maths physics and econ. But a GC would be great or better yet a discord

Original post by Cookiesandcréme
I’m going to the open day too! My parents just told me a few hours ago that I’m applying for Westminster 16+ but my brother already goes so it’s not a super new idea. Does anybody have an idea what they’d be doing for the Spanish and music exams?

I'll PM you all a link to the discord.
Original post by zziawoo

sorry there was an econ practice one but i didn't know if you would want to be added to that instead of a general one, but i think it's now just a gc so u can pm @bicompton to be added

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending