The Student Room Group

gcse specifications?

hey so im going into y11 in september and i was just wondering if ALL the content we need to know is detailed on the specification for each subject or if it just provides a brief overview? because i was looking over the specs and it feels like some important content i got taught isn't even on the spec so idk if i should revise it or not.

e.g. for aqa geo, we spent quite a lot of time on climate graphs and biomes (like deciduous forest and savannah..) but they're not mentioned in the specification at all, not even once
Reply 1
Original post by zziawoo
hey so im going into y11 in september and i was just wondering if ALL the content we need to know is detailed on the specification for each subject or if it just provides a brief overview? because i was looking over the specs and it feels like some important content i got taught isn't even on the spec so idk if i should revise it or not.

e.g. for aqa geo, we spent quite a lot of time on climate graphs and biomes (like deciduous forest and savannah..) but they're not mentioned in the specification at all, not even once

Yes the specifications cover everything you need to know. Ask your teacher why you covered that topic ...
Original post by zziawoo

Yes, the spec should cover all the content. Climate graphs might still be in the exam because they don't require any extra knowledge and can be interpreted without having learnt about them
Original post by zziawoo

All the content should be covered or at least mentioned in the spec - you can use it as a checklist of "sub-topics" you need to cover. For subjects like science and geography with lots of content, the spec should be a helpful guide.
Reply 4
Original post by zziawoo

Some specifications like edexcel igcse science specs, tell you exactly what you need to know with individual bullet points, im pretty sure that the CIE physics igcse didnt do that, and they only said general topics. If you have been taught something that isnt specifically on the spec, it might be a topic closely related to another, or one that often comes up and ur teacher is just preparing you
Original post by Ariichu
Some specifications like edexcel igcse science specs, tell you exactly what you need to know with individual bullet points, im pretty sure that the CIE physics igcse didnt do that, and they only said general topics. If you have been taught something that isnt specifically on the spec, it might be a topic closely related to another, or one that often comes up and ur teacher is just preparing you

i do aqa, do you know if their spec covers everything?
Reply 6
Original post by zziawoo

I had a quick look at their spec and I dont think they do. If you go and look at smth like the edexcel specs u can see that its all bullet point exactly what u need to know, edexcel does their specs in much longer paragraph form and arent as specific on the exacts of waht u need to learn
Original post by Ariichu
I had a quick look at their spec and I dont think they do. If you go and look at smth like the edexcel specs u can see that its all bullet point exactly what u need to know, edexcel does their specs in much longer paragraph form and arent as specific on the exacts of waht u need to learn

thanks so much! i'll just cover everything i got taught if aqa isn't rlly detailed in their spec, appreciate ur help
Original post by Ariichu

I disagree. I found that for my AQA subject the specs covered everything like Edexcel. The only exam board that I did that didn't cover everything was CIE and I don't think OP has any subjects with that exam board
sorry I just realised that biomes is under the term global ecosystems in the spec so it is mentioned haha
Original post by zziawoo

Yes it has to - that's what teachers use
Original post by Ariichu

You are wrong - specifications have to cover everything
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
You are wrong - specifications have to cover everything

Im saying this in the sense that if you look up bio edexcel igcse and go to a random topic like ecology, then go to the feeding relationships topic in that, they have bullet points that are very exact in what you need to learn (e.g. understand the names given to different trophic levels, including producers, primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and decomposers).

But some specs like the physics spec im doing, just says "photoelectric effect", with no other information on what you need to know about it. Some specifications are more specific with what you need to know, its not like theyre gonna ask u stuff that isnt on the spec all together, but for me it doesnt specify whether you just need to know how the photoelectric effect actually shows a particle theory of light, or also things like the circutry of how its set up with stopping potential and things like that circuitry, and if a specification is less specific then it might seem like teachers are teaching things that arent outright said on the spec
Original post by Ariichu
Im saying this in the sense that if you look up bio edexcel igcse and go to a random topic like ecology, then go to the feeding relationships topic in that, they have bullet points that are very exact in what you need to learn (e.g. understand the names given to different trophic levels, including producers, primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and decomposers).

But some specs like the physics spec im doing, just says "photoelectric effect", with no other information on what you need to know about it. Some specifications are more specific with what you need to know, its not like theyre gonna ask u stuff that isnt on the spec all together, but for me it doesnt specify whether you just need to know how the photoelectric effect actually shows a particle theory of light, or also things like the circutry of how its set up with stopping potential and things like that circuitry, and if a specification is less specific then it might seem like teachers are teaching things that arent outright said on the spec

Oh ok that’s true but it still mentions all the topics. CIE does not do this and it was really frustrating for me with geography as they only have like 4 vague bullet points per entire unit. So compared to CIE, AQA does cover everything (although maybe not in a lot of detail)

Quick Reply

Latest