The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 A2 Chemistry - 9 June 2014 Unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darthvader2013

Aw! :frown: most people will have, to be honest, it was a tough question!

Is it me or is this paper harder than past years'?
I'm just hoping the grade boundary will be lower this year :frown:
There was a question where you had to join lysine and alanine to form the dipeptide.
There was also a question to which the answer was 2,6-diaminohexanoic acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="darthvader2013;48069137"]

Aw! :frown: most people will have, to be honest, it was a tough question!

Is it me or is this paper harder than past years'?
I'm just hoping the grade boundary will be lower this year :frown:

I wouldnt say its got much much harder but more the fact the questions are more obscure. Also since they have asked new questions this yr i generally feel the boundaries will drop.

86-A* 77-A 70-B 61-C
[QUOTE="sheesh;48069222" A="A"]

I wouldnt say its got much much harder but more the fact the questions are more obscure. Also since they have asked new questions this yr i generally feel the boundaries will drop.

86-A* 77-A 70-B 61-C

To get an A* in chem , do I just need 540 UMS in total or do I need 270 UMS in my A2 modules ?
Reply 44
For the ppm one where you had to write the ppm eg 20-50 I only wrote the first number instead of the range. Will I get a mark still?
Original post by ai96
For the ppm one where you had to write the ppm eg 20-50 I only wrote the first number instead of the range. Will I get a mark still?

yeah definitely, the question said suggest a value so it's fine as long as it is in the range, alternatively stating the range has been ok in past papers too as opposed to the value
[QUOTE="darthvader2013;48069399"]
Original post by A sheesh

To get an A* in chem , do I just need 540 UMS in total or do I need 270 UMS in my A2 modules ?

from my understanding it is 270 in A2 and 480(80%)+ overall
[QUOTE="blissfully;48069556"]

from my understanding it is 270 in A2 and 480(80%)+ overall

Guess I might have to get an A* from sth else then.......
Anyways, thank you:smile:
Did the very ;ast bit have to be cyclic?? :L I put a diketone :/
i'm scared about results day :c
what do you think the grade boundaries will be like?
lower than last year or higher?
Does it matter where you put the groups on optical isomerism?
Reply 51
'quaternary ammonium (bromide) salt, nucl sub with CH3Br in excess (4)
use tollens, nothing with J, K silver mirror, J has 2 peaks K has 4 (5)'

whats this about peaks? did we have to deduce peaks in J and K? i dont remember doing that D:
For the electrophillic substitution, was it from benzene or chlorobenzene. How many lost marks for drawing it from benzene instead of chlorobenzene if it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't remember writing down the test for silver mirror.. was it the answer for the test for J and K? I think I wrote sodium carbonate instead
Original post by JackTheNerd
For the electrophillic substitution, was it from benzene or chlorobenzene. How many lost marks for drawing it from benzene instead of chlorobenzene if it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only one I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was also a question about the buffer and where you need to find the mass
for the quaternary ammonium salt one, could you also have put catonic surfactant?
For the amino acid question, wasn't the last one: Methanol in hot concentrated sulphuric acid and its forms an ester
Reply 58
Original post by kstarbuck
for the quaternary ammonium salt one, could you also have put catonic surfactant?

I put that :/ cause it had the halogen, at the time I thought it was right anyway..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrdw
I put that :/ cause it had the halogen, at the time I thought it was right anyway..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could both be right, they are kinda the same thing! I hope anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending