The Student Room Group

C in as level to A in a levels ??!!

I have a higher c in chemistry as level. I got 67 marks and the B was for 68 marks.
I got 67 after resisting in Oct nov 2023 and if I compare with may June 2023 threshold (which I first appeared in) this 67 would get me a mid b
So is it possible for me to convert this c into an A overall in a levels ????!!!!!!
Reply 1
I think it's defo possible particularly because chem grade boundaries tend to be pretty close together (for AQA at least not sure about other boards). Make sure you work out now what you found hard/scored badly on in tests throughout the year and then do your best to get a solid understanding of the as content as it makes learning the a2 content soo much easier. Really understanding why reactions/mechanisms etc happen is so important in chemistry because it means that if you forget it you can often work it out from you knowledge of what electrons are doing etc
Reply 2
Original post by ims_m
I think it's defo possible particularly because chem grade boundaries tend to be pretty close together (for AQA at least not sure about other boards). Make sure you work out now what you found hard/scored badly on in tests throughout the year and then do your best to get a solid understanding of the as content as it makes learning the a2 content soo much easier. Really understanding why reactions/mechanisms etc happen is so important in chemistry because it means that if you forget it you can often work it out from you knowledge of what electrons are doing etc

I only got bad marks in practical but the internet says it’s impossible I think my concept are strong but I’m so worried that I might be impossible
Reply 3
Original post by Aizza
I only got bad marks in practical but the internet says it’s impossible I think my concept are strong but I’m so worried that I might be impossible

The internet doesn't know anything about your circumstances - if you want to and are willing to work for it there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to up your grade. What I found useful for the practical side of things particularly (but it's useful for all of it) is practice questions - do one full question then look at the marl scheme to work out what they want in the answer that you haven't done. The more you do this the more familiar you get with what the mark scheme wants and you'll be able to add those things next time you answer the qs.
Reply 4
Original post by ims_m

The internet doesn't know anything about your circumstances - if you want to and are willing to work for it there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to up your grade. What I found useful for the practical side of things particularly (but it's useful for all of it) is practice questions - do one full question then look at the marl scheme to work out what they want in the answer that you haven't done. The more you do this the more familiar you get with what the mark scheme wants and you'll be able to add those things next time you answer the qs.

Thanks alottt
Original post by Aizza
I have a higher c in chemistry as level. I got 67 marks and the B was for 68 marks.
I got 67 after resisting in Oct nov 2023 and if I compare with may June 2023 threshold (which I first appeared in) this 67 would get me a mid b
So is it possible for me to convert this c into an A overall in a levels ????!!!!!!

Hi @Aizza ,

This is definitely possible, I was in the same situation as you and turned a C into an A. However, you will undoubtedly need to put in the effort because although A2 content builds upon AS level, there is a lot more depth to it and it does get harder in terms of content.

For all of my A-Level subjects I drilled, and did tons of past exam papers to get a better understanding of the format and types of questions I would be asked. Treat the specification points and past papers as your best friend! Every time I was going to begin my revision sessions I would always refer to the spec points as it told me exactly what I need to know for my exam. I treated it as a checklist, and went through it in order. The spec points are also especially useful as they list out key words and definitions you should know that could easily score you 1-3 marks on your exam.

I would make and refine any exiting notes by reading my textbook or online resources, then try the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl. Anything that I figured would be difficult for me to memorise, I would jot down as a flashcard to look back at (I did this a lot for biology). To further strengthen my knowledge, I attempted past paper questions for the topics I learnt that day (topical past papers).

Hope this helps, good luck!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by Aizza
Thanks alottt

No problem 🙂 I believe in you!!
Reply 7
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Original post by Aizza

Hi @Aizza ,

This is definitely possible, I was in the same situation as you and turned a C into an A. However, you will undoubtedly need to put in the effort because although A2 content builds upon AS level, there is a lot more depth to it and it does get harder in terms of content.

For all of my A-Level subjects I drilled, and did tons of past exam papers to get a better understanding of the format and types of questions I would be asked. Treat the specification points and past papers as your best friend! Every time I was going to begin my revision sessions I would always refer to the spec points as it told me exactly what I need to know for my exam. I treated it as a checklist, and went through it in order. The spec points are also especially useful as they list out key words and definitions you should know that could easily score you 1-3 marks on your exam.

I would make and refine any exiting notes by reading my textbook or online resources, then try the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl. Anything that I figured would be difficult for me to memorise, I would jot down as a flashcard to look back at (I did this a lot for biology). To further strengthen my knowledge, I attempted past paper questions for the topics I learnt that day (topical past papers).

Hope this helps, good luck!
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thank you so muchhh maybe I’ll give an update on my progress next month
Reply 8
Original post by Aizza

I have a follow up question if the threshold for overall A in complete a levels was 155 so 155-67=88
88/130 x 100 = 69.7%
This means I only need to score 88 marks or 69.7% in my a2 exams to get the overall A ?
But the internet says to get an A in a levels I NEED 80+% otherwise I’ll get a B or C

Quick Reply

Latest