The Student Room Group

PHYA4 June 11 2014 - Poll

Poll

How hard did you find the exam?

Thought I'd do one of these. If only to give me a bit more reassurance that I didn't just completely fail that exam.
Reply 1
Section B was fine. Section A was very difficult.

The problem was NOT ENOUGH FRICKIN' TIME. I had to guess a LOT of section A stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by GC3AT2
Section B was fine. Section A was very difficult.

The problem was NOT ENOUGH FRICKIN' TIME. I had to guess a LOT of section A stuff.

Agreed. Section B was average, but quite a few section A questions probably would have been 3-4 markers if in Section B which was a bit annoying, but perhaps that was always the case with every past paper. I rated it medium as the section A and B probably balanced out but i'm not sure.
It seems to be either one or the other - people either found A difficult and B okay or A okay and B difficult.

Personally I found A slightly harder but both pretty bad. And agree, nowhere near enough time, everyone else ran out too.

Dear AQA: my university place should not depend on what I, or other people, have to randomly circle at the end in lack of time!
Original post by spleenharvester
It seems to be either one or the other - people either found A difficult and B okay or A okay and B difficult.

Personally I found A slightly harder but both pretty bad. And agree, nowhere near enough time, everyone else ran out too.

Dear AQA: my university place should not depend on what I, or other people, have to randomly circle at the end in lack of time!

You've made AQA look like fools!
Original post by physicso
You've made AQA look like fools!

Not exactly, but you understand my point, no? Like other people alluded to in the PHYA4 thread, it would make far, far more sense for them to just extend exam time and raise grade boundaries to compensate.

Not a single one of my class finished in time. Same goes for lots of people in the other thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not exactly, but you understand my point, no? Like other people alluded to in the PHYA4 thread, it would make far, far more sense for them to just extend exam time and raise grade boundaries to compensate.

Not a single one of my class finished in time. Same goes for lots of people in the other thread.

i was taking the piss, but i do totally get your point. (i'm an *******).

Generally, i think the whole way of taking exams for science based subjects is bull****, i mean, we work for 2 years and there's some stupid paper that tests us on 1/5 of what we've learnt? So some gump could revise a certain topic the night before and do better than someone who has revised for 2 years?

It annoys me because i can't do anything about it.
Original post by physicso
i was taking the piss, but i do totally get your point. (i'm an *******).

Generally, i think the whole way of taking exams for science based subjects is bull****, i mean, we work for 2 years and there's some stupid paper that tests us on 1/5 of what we've learnt? So some gump could revise a certain topic the night before and do better than someone who has revised for 2 years?

It annoys me because i can't do anything about it.

Fair enough haha.

Yeah I agree, I mean if a certain proportion of each topic we learn made up part of the paper, and there was no multiple choice, it would be a much fairer test. Reminds me of OCR F215 from a few years back, which had 85% of the paper on ecosystems and populations - which constitutes about 15% of the spec.

People who were great at ecosystems and awful at everything else would have gotten A*s etc, and vice versa.
Reply 8
Found A super hard, B was average but I know a couple that I got wrong. Like someone already said, there just isn't enough time! The pressure was too much.

What are the grade boundaries likely to be?

I think I probably got between 50-55 out of 75. What grade do you think that is?

edit: I found past grade boundaries.

June 13: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2013.PDF
June 12: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2012.PDF

For these it was 51 and 53 for an A so that gives me some relief.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jipvh
Found A super hard, B was average but I know a couple that I got wrong. Like someone already said, there just isn't enough time! The pressure was too much.

What are the grade boundaries likely to be?

I think I probably got between 50-55 out of 75. What grade do you think that is?

Mean grade boundary for an A for every single paper that's come up so far is 51/75. I reckon this will be somewhat lower, probably 48/75 like June 2010.
Reply 10
Mean grade boundary for an A for every single paper that's come up so far is 51/75. I reckon this will be somewhat lower, probably 48/75 like June 2010.

I hope so. Most people on TSR are saying they found it very hard, but that may just be because people who thought they did well didn't have any reason to come and talk about it afterwards lol
I agree, Unit 4 was rushed for me. The exam should be two hours long.
Reply 12
I really want to do something about the timing issue, like writing a letter to AQA, but I feel as though they'll just throw it in the bin because I'm a student, we're all students, and we're always gonna bitch and whine about exams or something...

It's really irritating. Like others have said, we've been learning physics at A level for 2 years now, and we get an hour and 45 minutes to basically concentrate on section B and guess on most of section A.
How is that fair? I mean, a four year old could get full marks in section A just by guessing, but an A* candidate who runs out of time could get no marks because he had to rush and just guess stuff.

They need to increase exam time to about 2 hours at least, and increase grade boundaries slightly. Like I said in another thread: in real life, in science, when are we ever going to have to figure out about 40 answers in an hour and 45 minutes, with distractor answers to confuse us? It doesn't work like that.
Original post by GC3AT2

They need to increase exam time to about 2 hours at least, and increase grade boundaries slightly. Like I said in another thread: in real life, in science, when are we ever going to have to figure out about 40 answers in an hour and 45 minutes, with distractor answers to confuse us? It doesn't work like that.

I don't know, I felt that more time would have been appreciated, but I finished all the questions in the time, without any time to check either section A or B. Spent about 35 minutes on A and the rest on B. Don't think they need to increase the time, just to actually change the format of the exam.
Original post by GC3AT2
I really want to do something about the timing issue, like writing a letter to AQA, but I feel as though they'll just throw it in the bin because I'm a student, we're all students, and we're always gonna bitch and whine about exams or something...

It's really irritating. Like others have said, we've been learning physics at A level for 2 years now, and we get an hour and 45 minutes to basically concentrate on section B and guess on most of section A.
How is that fair? I mean, a four year old could get full marks in section A just by guessing, but an A* candidate who runs out of time could get no marks because he had to rush and just guess stuff.

I've personally been considering doing exactly this. They might not even be aware there's a problem because everyone doing the random circling makes it look like we had enough time.
Oh yeah, it's also worth noting OCR increased F214's time from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes because it was a bit restrictive. So if enough of us give them feedback maybe they might take it into consideration.

Might wait till after results day though. Otherwise they'll just think we're generally whining.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
This exam was a disaster for me, It was first real PHYA4 I've done and in the heat of the situation I messed up big on timing. Took about 1 hour on the multiple choice and then ended up leaving loads of gaps. And when I got the wrong amplitude for the tuning fork I knew I'd gone wrong with the time period which meant loads of time wasted making amends. Where I'm going to get motivation for the next week, No idea!?!?!?
Reply 17
does anybody have a mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending