The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why should the NHS pay for IVF?

I mean its common sense that the best time to have kids is in your 20s or early 30s besides most of the time the reason they left it too late is to have a career so can't they save up and pay for it themselves?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't think they did pay for it... shows how much I know. Tbh I only know the legal ramifications of it in relation to who the child's parents are. Woo the HFEA 2008 :tongue:

Also I'm undecided on whether they should pay for it, especially as I thought they did, but saying that, people get breast enlargements on the NHS so maybe helping families have children is a better use of that money.
Reply 2
They have decided to pay for three rounds of IVF.

t's because the welfare state is designed to help women, therefore the NHS needs to prioritise health care for women above any other issues.

NHS spending on women far surpasses men although there is a huge discrepancy in mortality age.

National insurance is essentially a man tax.
Original post by rayofkryptonite
I mean its common sense that the best time to have kids is in your 20s or early 30s besides most of the time the reason they left it too late is to have a career so can't they save up and pay for it themselves?

Except that isn't the reason most of the time.
Original post by Fireking
They have decided to pay for three rounds of IVF.

t's because the welfare state is designed to help women, therefore the NHS needs to prioritise health care for women above any other issues.

NHS spending on women far surpasses men although there is a huge discrepancy in mortality age.

National insurance is essentially a man tax.

This post seemed to get progressively more one sided lol. Can you provide sources for that? I'd be interested to read about it.
Reply 5
They shouldn't.
Reply 6
NHS = Emergency stuff only

Everything else should be private - that should solve the stupid money troubles...
Original post by spanker

Everything else should be private - that should solve the stupid money troubles...

Do you see any problem with this? :lol:
Original post by spanker

I don't think that would be a good idea... What if you can't afford to pay when you have a problem which isn't deemed an emergency
Because we need to sustain the white race.
The argument for it is that infertility has major psychosocial ramifications for a couple. If those can be prevented by state-funded IVF then the potential cost of treating depression and any number of related problems is averted.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Do you see any problem with this? :lol:

Original post by tania<3
I don't think that would be a good idea... What if you can't afford to pay when you have a problem which isn't deemed an emergency

Ok maybe I just jumped into it a bit too quick without thinking.

What I mean is why put cosmetic and IVF on NHS when there more important things like others who may need life altering operations (transplants).

Cosmetic operations - Yeah fine if you have been burned like all over and its going to help with that, but boob jobs and crap like that, no.
Original post by spanker
Ok maybe I just jumped into it a bit too quick without thinking.

What I mean is why put cosmetic and IVF on NHS when there more important things like others who may need life altering operations (transplants).

Cosmetic operations - Yeah fine if you have been burned like all over and its going to help with that, but boob jobs and crap like that, no.

The type of cosmetic surgery you're thinking of isn't available on the NHS. The link below says so.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cosmetic-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx
The type of cosmetic surgery you're thinking of isn't available on the NHS. The link below says so.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cosmetic-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I guess I should just stop replying.
Original post by spanker
I guess I should just stop replying.

I didn't mean that to be an insult. I understood your point, I just said cosmetic surgery isn't available on the NHS. Surely that's a good thing to you? :dontknow:
I didn't mean that to be an insult. I understood your point, I just said cosmetic surgery isn't available on the NHS. Surely that's a good thing to you? :dontknow:

I didn't take it as an insult don't worry - I don't get insulted very easily, if ever.

I just thought I should stop replying when I am clearly wrong in what I am posting. :K:
I don't see why when I have to pay £50-100 pound a month into the NHS each month (I got £20 million tops all inclusive insurance for a month round Europe for £25... including Winter Sports and it had a £25 excess) yet still have to pay for a Prescription to cure my hay-fever, that people should be given treatment like that on the NHS.

It should work one of two ways, 1) All in, ie, I get my pills for free as I actually pay NI, or 2) Emergency Only, everything else private, if you ain't dying you need your card basically.

Preferably 3) Stop stealing my NI from me, let me pay them my £25 a month for my insurance, and I can go and get my pills under that, but thats not going to happen realistically unfortunately.
Original post by spanker
I didn't take it as an insult don't worry - I don't get insulted very easily, if ever.

I just thought I should stop replying when I am clearly wrong in what I am posting. :K:

did someone just admit they were wrong on TSR? has anyone alerted the press?
Reply 18
For me it's not too bad because I have both private medical and dental. I just don;t want to pay for the NHS anymore!
Reply 19
They shouldn't, not while other more essential services like adult dental care is kept private. Why should adults with severe dental problems they can't afford to fix suffer while infertile people get thousands spent on conception? It makes absolutely no sense. If you're already alive and suffering you're left to rot but let's spend loads breeding infertile people. Got logic.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending