The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Biology F214 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bastille7
Hi, I put 'chlorophyll A for PS2 and b for ps1' will I get any marks? (I know probably not but I was being stupid) and 'carotenoids' instead of naming one..

i was going to write carotenoids but i put beta carotene instead, i just searched it up and chlorophyll b and beta carotene are both accessory pigements but its actually called carotenoids, and beta carotene is what one of those pigments are called so i think your right and i am most prob: wrong http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/biology/pigpho.html
Glucose levels higher in test because the person had been fasting, so blood glucose levels fall. This stimulates secretion of glucagon, glycogenolysis/gluconeogenesis occur which raises blood glucose levels (higher than normal)
Original post by LauraElizabeth14
I wrote that too!

second this!
Original post by m'k
I wrote caretanoid not caratene! FML

I also wrote that! It could still get the mark as that is the general name given to them
Original post by 2102
Using this i only got 34 ish out of 60... I'm aiming for an A fml

last year that was just about an E. You had to get 33/60 just to get an E! I'm scewed :frown:
Original post by nikhil95
The answer for parasite one is..parasite lives with a mutualistic relation with the host, so if it uses hosts O2 the host cannot survive and both parasite and host die. Also parasite doesn't move around as much so 2 ATP from glycolysis is enough and plus they are facultative anaerobes

parasites aren't mutualistic. " Parasite*- Lives on/in host and harms it, whilst taking nutrition from host" - that is the official AS definition, so not mutualistic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Original post by flyhigh99
Why is it a contradiction? GP stands for glycerate-3-phosphate?

I also wrote GP :smile:
For enzyme I just said RUP will you get a mark? and I also writ just 'steroid' and diabetes. I really hope the grade boundaries go REALLY LOW like 20%E, 30%D, 40%C, 50%B, 60%A :s-smilie:
Original post by trish25
Erghh for the fruits and veg question, i wrote the correct answer down on the page, but then i started having doubts so i wrote my alternate answer on an extra sheet. Do you guys know which one they'll mark? :frown:

They mark your first answer on the page so you should be fine :smile:
Original post by CallumHall57
Glucose levels higher in test because the person had been fasting, so blood glucose levels fall. This stimulates secretion of glucagon, glycogenolysis/gluconeogenesis occur which raises blood glucose levels (higher than normal)

that's what I said too! well kinda, I said high levels of glucagon (which are essentially stored glucose) therefore broken down to release glucose. And I also said something about the person consuming too much glucose before fasting too.. Just in case I got it wrong
God help us all for F215 :cry2::cry2:
For why synapses are important, would we get a mark for saying it ensures only strong enough stimuli are passed along? Because I'm sure that was an answer off a past paper

In order for you to get an A* you need to get 90% in the exam
Reply 193
Wow...
I actually managed to do it!
It seems, accordingly to the mark scheme attached, I've managed to attain 54/60, which I assume could definitely be an A*?!

I knew I was aiming for it but I still managed to shock myself even though I came out with a straight face, literally... :lol:

To all that had been revising over the last month or so, thanks so much for being up for little any Q+A as that helped a lot!
I hope you've all aced it too - we've got F215 felt to haunt us so let's best that tenfold!

Have an amazing weekends, guys. :biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ché.
Wow...
I actually managed to do it!
It seems, accordingly to the mark scheme attached, I've managed to attain 54/60, which I assume could definitely be an A*?!

I knew I was aiming for it but I still managed to shock myself even though I came out with a straight face, literally... :lol:

To all that had been revising over the last month or so, thanks so much for being up for little any Q+A as that helped a lot!
I hope you've all aced it too - we've got F215 felt to haunt us so let's best that tenfold!

Have an amazing weekends, guys. :biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's definitely an A*. I'd say you'll probably get 100%UMS for that, well done man

Reply 195
Original post by xT4Z1N4TRx
For why synapses are important, would we get a mark for saying it ensures only strong enough stimuli are passed along? Because I'm sure that was an answer off a past paper

I'm sure it'll be on the mark scheme; I added that after my other three answers: acclimatisation, summation, cell signalling between neuronal communication and then that one to back the last point - in line with anyway...

I'm sure it's fine; believe that question came up in January 2013 so you know... Things definitely do repeat faster than we think I guess! :lol::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question on anaerobic reaction, why it doesn't use oxygen even though its available? I put something like doesn't need reduced Nad and on the verges of just needs atp (for energy)???
Reply 197
Original post by xT4Z1N4TRx
that's definitely an A*. I'd say you'll probably get 100%UMS for that, well done man

REALLY!?
I thought the full UMS boundary was mega strict due to the amount of A2 Biologists and the more "straight forward" recall based questions in comparison to F215.

Thanks mate, you've made my day actually...
I wasn't really aiming for that you know?
Ah... Buzzing and hopeful!
(Now, I need to some how ace Mathematics and F215 and Chemistry so I can freaking relax a little man! :frown:)

I hope you've done great...
How did you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by imconfused
For enzyme I just said RUP will you get a mark? and I also writ just 'steroid' and diabetes. I really hope the grade boundaries go REALLY LOW like 20%E, 30%D, 40%C, 50%B, 60%A :s-smilie:

it definitely won't be that low, i'd say minimum 73% for A
Original post by luka_m
it definitely won't be that low, i'd say minimum 73% for A

last year they raised grade E to 55% if they can increase it that much, they should be able to lower it as much. I know they wont be lowering it that much, it was just a wish :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending