The Student Room Group

Question about C4 binomial expansion?

I know how to do these types of questions, however I always make some kind of silly mistake. I have my exam tomorrow and I just wanted to ask whether any of you know if there is any way of checking whether my answer is correct. For example can I put in a value for x or something like that. I have attached an example of a question so u know what I'm talking about. maths.JPG
Original post by lorobolorolo
I know how to do these types of questions, however I always make some kind of silly mistake. I have my exam tomorrow and I just wanted to ask whether any of you know if there is any way of checking whether my answer is correct. For example can I put in a value for x or something like that. I have attached an example of a question so u know what I'm talking about. maths.JPG

The short answer is no

Using a value might occasionally work but not generally -just take care :s-smilie:
Original post by TenOfThem
The short answer is no

Using a value might occasionally work but not generally -just take care :s-smilie:

Ahh that's really annoying, but thanks for letting me know
Original post by lorobolorolo

You can sometimes check whether your solution is possible - for instance, if the original function was an odd/even function of x, your answer should have no even powers/odd powers of x. Substituting x=0 is a very quick check (which is by no means guaranteed). In rare cases, it might be easier to find the series of the differentiated/integrated function, then integrate/differentiate the resulting power series. (Remember that if you ever integrate, you need to find the value of the constant term, by substituting.)

Quick Reply

Latest