The Student Room Group

Are you a fan of Andy Murray?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I do support him, but I can't really say I'm a fan though. As has been said, he lacks the flair of players like Nadal, despite still playing quite well.
Reply 21
Original post by Autistic Merit
What's wrong with Laura Robson? She's not blonde, I know, but still..

I would.
I like him but he's starting to get a lot worse, which is a shame as I did enjoy watching him.
Original post by Huskaris
Yeah but... No one really cares, it isn't as big as say, an ashes win etc.

Is that a joke? Hahaha no one gives a **** about cricket
Well people are a fan of him because he broke the "77-year curse"... 2 years before he wouldn't be able to
I was hoping that Andy Murray would win the Wimbledon; however, he was knocked out in the quarter finals. :frown:

The good thing was, he won last year, and hopefully he'll do well next year as well :smile:
I'm not a fan either as he really isn't that likeable.

I was gutted for Henman all those years ago for never winning Wimbledon, you could see how desperately he wanted it.
I don't know why people dislike him, especially the last couple of years he's come more out of his shell. I don't think Queen's had too much to do with his elimination either, he plays the tournament every year and still usually does well as it helps him shift from clay to grass more comfortably. Yes Djokovic rested and won but Federer also played at Halle and won there so i don't think a pre wimbledon grass tournament is detrimental at all, he was just outplayed.
Reply 28
Original post by FalseNine
I don't know why people dislike him, especially the last couple of years he's come more out of his shell. I don't think Queen's had too much to do with his elimination either, he plays the tournament every year and still usually does well as it helps him shift from clay to grass more comfortably. Yes Djokovic rested and won but Federer also played at Halle and won there so i don't think a pre wimbledon grass tournament is detrimental at all, he was just outplayed.

Boring and ugly style of play is the reason why I dislike him.
Reply 29
I'm a Federer fan before I'm a Murray fan, but if Murray is playing anyone apart from Fed I'll support him.
I supported Murray through the wimbledon season this year. Shame he was knocked out in the quarter finals.
Think he's a lot better then our old representative Tim henman
To be honest, who else is there to support from a British perspective?
He's so boring.

Soooo boring.
I don't actively choose to support him but I think hes a decent guy albeit a little monotonous. Must admit his Wimbledon tears 2 years back got softened my stance on him.
I'm a fan of Andy Murray, I think he's a world class player and a superb athlete. Yes his style of play may be not as appealing as the great Roger Federer or as spectacular as the topspin that Nadal employs but Murray is extremely solid. He has exceptional movement, fitness, solid first serve and great off both wings; that backhand is truly something else.

What he does struggle with is when he is playing badly for the first set or set and a half, he cannot suddenly snap out of it or pick his game up which is key to be the best in the world. Look at Nadal for instance, if he goes a set or 2 down most people assume that he'll come back and for the most part he always does! That's the difference between Murray and the top 3, the top 3 can win on the best of stages even when playing bad.

At the end of the day Tennis is not about your personality its about how you play and your results and that seems to be going in the right direction despite this year's Wimbledon setback. The top 3 would not be nearly as likeable if they weren't exceptional players on the court- that's just a fact!
He's boring and not very likeable

This busts the myth that he is emotionless.
Reply 38
Original post by Roger1
Boring and ugly style of play is the reason why I dislike him.

Another glorified Fed fan. How is his play ugly and how is he boring? Better to be boring than as arrogant and so above yourself like Federer is, he's not eve the greatest of all time.
Reply 39
Original post by F1Fan
Another glorified Fed fan. How is his play ugly and how is he boring? Better to be boring than as arrogant and so above yourself like Federer is, he's not eve the greatest of all time.

Oh another sensitive Murray fan. I don't care if federer is greatest of all time or not and he has a god damn reason to be arrogant. Murray is a pusher with a strange forehand and bad temper who bores a lot of people. You wouldn't support Murray if you weren't British.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest