The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Uni Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
It's July what is the rush? There is over 2 months to go and everyone is guaranteed accomodation for Uni. There are so much empty student accomodation there is almost enough for everyone to have there own house.

The accomodation office has about 5 people in it sorting over 5000 accomodation places each requiring cross referencing with departments, results and the various personal details given.

For example for Ferens:

Did the applicant choose ferens? - Yes then put them in the Ferens pile.
what gender are they? - Rooms in all halls are specified boy or girl, Ferens doesn't allow girls on the ground floor.
What subject? - We can't have to many of any particular subject in one place otherwise it would be unbearible for students and staff
Are they a night person? - If the late nighter are next to the early bed times there will be complains gallore
Do they smoke? - If so then sorry Ferens is non-smoking as is 95% of the lawns complex. This doesnt mean you wont get a room don't panic!

Medical and mental health statements are concidered but not for placements they are passed to the pastoral team like myself to be prepared to help you if or when you need it.

I hope this helps you all accept why it takes so long for applications to be sorted and if you don't get your first choice then it is a fact that 10% drop out of university by christmas so you may get the oppotunity to move at some point.

Feel free to PM me with questions or responces.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Lexaris

what gender are they? - Rooms in all halls are specified boy or girl, Ferens doesn't allow girls on the ground floor.

Do any of the lawns complex allow girls on the ground floor ?? and why is this cant rapist climb stairs ?
Reply 382
Strangly enough it's not for that reason.

Most halls do however at Ferens we dont and this is for 2 reasons. The first is for security there is a thought (some may sexist opinion) that if some one was to try and breakin they would be more reluctant to continue if they find a guy in the room.

The second reason is that the curtains all though not transparent can be looked straight through if you stand right next to the window. This is more of a statement the reason is (sorry lads) that lads are thought to be more enclined to try and look through the window with a lady in the room then ladys are to if a lad was in the room.

Harsh but true.

However all of Ferens curtains are being replaced this August to match the new carpets and furnature so the second reason will probably become obsolete.
Lexaris
Strangly enough it's not for that reason.

Most halls do however at Ferens we dont and this is for 2 reasons. The first is for security there is a thought (some may sexist opinion) that if some one was to try and breakin they would be more reluctant to continue if they find a guy in the room.

The second reason is that the curtains all though not transparent can be looked straight through if you stand right next to the window. This is more of a statement the reason is (sorry lads) that lads are thought to be more enclined to try and look through the window with a lady in the room then ladys are to if a lad was in the room.

Harsh but true.

However all of Ferens curtains are being replaced this August to match the new carpets and furnature so the second reason will probably become obsolete.

That's pretty warped logic :curious:

Makes my blood boil! imo it's not that girls are less likely to look at a guy getting changed etc. it's just that if a girl was to look at a guy it probably wouldn't be deemed pervy and the guy wouldn't make a big issue of it whereas a guy looking at a girl would be deemed pervy and the girl would go nuts claiming to be emotionally scarred for all eternity. I mean most people going to uni are going to be over 18 it's not as if we've not seen a pair of tits before FFS.

:woo: The whole world's gone mad I tell you!
Reply 384
I recieved the online version of my confirmation, however I am unable to access it as i've lost the password. Therefore I asked for a hard copy of the confirmation through the post, this was just under 2 weeks ago and i've still got nothing =/
Reply 385
as260191
I recieved the online version of my confirmation, however I am unable to access it as i've lost the password. Therefore I asked for a hard copy of the confirmation through the post, this was just under 2 weeks ago and i've still got nothing =/

paperwork takes time.

Good tip = File all uni stuff together safely just in case.
Reply 386
Lexaris
It's July what is the rush? There is over 2 months to go and everyone is guaranteed accomodation for Uni. There are so much empty student accomodation there is almost enough for everyone to have there own house.

The accomodation office has about 5 people in it sorting over 5000 accomodation places each requiring cross referencing with departments, results and the various personal details given.

What's the rush?

I'm not going to be in the country from August until September 22nd; I may well not have any access to the internet let alone a phone being on an island in a remote part of Indonesia. This makes accepting the contract i'm offered impossible and presents a big problem.

If they only have 5 people sorting out 5000 applications, then why did they say it would only take 21 days to process the applications? That's the real issue. If I knew it would take longer then I probably would've made alternative plans.

It's very poor form.
Sabaidee
What's the rush?

I'm not going to be in the country from August until September 22nd; I may well not have any access to the internet let alone a phone being on an island in a remote part of Indonesia. This makes accepting the contract i'm offered impossible and presents a big problem.

If they only have 5 people sorting out 5000 applications, then why did they say it would only take 21 days to process the applications? That's the real issue. If I knew it would take longer then I probably would've made alternative plans.

It's very poor form.

It would be good if we had some idea of the timescale involved, are we talking by the end of the week or 2/3/4 weeks from now? I'm checking my e-mails like crazy everyday in anticipation.
Reply 388
Same...Thing is I know there's no point in emailing them because they are obviously incredibly busy, too busy to email any of us to say sorry for the wait, and i'd just get an automated response; "Sorry we are busy, please be patient etc"

bah
Reply 389
Sabaidee
What's the rush?

In your situation it is unlikely you would be living in any of the halls of residence and would be in a student house for the contract duration. Alot simpler to sort and they should get back to you sooner.
Reply 390
Also, sorry but whats it to them if you're going on holiday? Thats not their fault is it? Theyre not going to speed up your application jsut because you think you might not be here when they sort it. Everyone is treated the same.
. sav
Also, sorry but whats it to them if you're going on holiday? Thats not their fault is it? Theyre not going to speed up your application jsut because you think you might not be here when they sort it. Everyone is treated the same.

Do you have any idea the maximum amount of time my application should take? I applied on the 1st June. Do you think it will be another week 2/3/4? I know your not an accommodation officer I'm just trying to gauge the time length to expect. Thanks.
Reply 392
PrinceValiant
Do you have any idea the maximum amount of time my application should take? I applied on the 1st June. Do you think it will be another week 2/3/4? I know your not an accommodation officer I'm just trying to gauge the time length to expect. Thanks.

Hiya PV, unfortunately i'm not the best person to ask for this because i went through clearing so I literally decided my university, course and accomodation all within the space of an hour on results day.

however, I did apply and firmed Leeds Uni all those years ago, and I know that I gave my accomodation choices in and did not receive any contract or anything before results day..... But then I missed my grades and so I had to look elsewhere! Best decision i've ever made!
Reply 393
PrinceValiant

I don't work for the accomodation office however I'd guess 6 weeks would be the very latest. It's rare from my perspective for any student to get their contract much later than 1st september any year.
Reply 394
. sav

Sorry sweetheart, but maybe I didn't make myself clear;

I don't expect them too rush just because i'm going on holiday. That isn't the issue here.

The fact is it was clearly stated that they would get back to us no more than 21 days after lodging an application. If I knew it would've taken this long I would've readjusted my holiday plans accordingly. I'm not asking for 'special treatment', just some honesty.
Reply 395
Finally sorted out my contract details, and I've got a place in my first choice hall, Morgan for the win!
Sabaidee
Sorry sweetheart, but maybe I didn't make myself clear;

I don't expect them too rush just because i'm going on holiday. That isn't the issue here.

The fact is it was clearly stated that they would get back to us no more than 21 days after lodging an application. If I knew it would've taken this long I would've readjusted my holiday plans accordingly. I'm not asking for 'special treatment', just some honesty.

Have you got your accommodation yet? I've still not got mine. I don't want to e-mail them unless I'm the only one I know of who hasn't got theirs.
Reply 397
There are plenty of spaces yet only half of Ferens rooms have been assigned yet. So plenty of single rooms left.
Reply 398
Just got my accomodation today- i'm in a medium room in Ferens. Wow i'm pretty excited now!
Reply 399
Hate ferens, it gave me a headache when i went round it...

Thwaite is massive, went there during sabb elections to campaign, gave up after one floor.

Needler is depressing.

The lawns blocks are alright...

Quick Reply

Latest