The Student Room Group

A levels V Degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
No I mean their degrees are MUCH more difficult than a levels. You'd bloody hope so lol
They did say that the degrees aren't 'conceptually' difficult but theres a hugeeee workload and stress is really high because of how rigorous clinic is.
e.g Now you can't retake a year for medicine or dentistry because it costs too much for the taxpayer, the GMC and GDC have added a new law that means that students whos behavior is inappropriate whilst in university can be rejected entry into the GDC or GMC.
I think medicine/dentistry/vetmed are the most stressful degrees, not academically, but because of all the other things that come along with it.

you might want to correct your original post then, since you said anybody who find a levels easier is doing a crap degree.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This probably varies from degree to degree and university to university, which I think is the conclusion these threads usually end up coming to.

I can tell you that I just graduated from Cambridge with a law degree, and that A levels were not even on the same planet in terms of the difficulty, quantity, or any other measure you care to apply.

Agree with you there, I'm still at Alevel but my cousins is also doing Law in cambridge in her last year now , and said that its way harder than A levels by the long shot, but then again it might be due to the fact you go to a really good and academic university.
Original post by haseebi82
Agree with you there, I'm still at Alevel but my cousins is also doing Law in cambridge in her last year now , and said that its way harder than A levels by the long shot, but then again it might be due to the fact you go to a really good and academic university.

Certain courses should be hard wherever you go, such as Law, Medicine, Mathematics etc. If at an institution these degrees are easy they will have taught you little of use and will thus probably have less value than the paper the certificate is printed on.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Certain courses should be hard wherever you go, such as Law, Medicine, Mathematics etc. If at an institution these degrees are easy they will have taught you little of use and will thus probably have less value than the paper the certificate is printed on.

Medicine/dentistry is incomparable to law and mathematics.
Law and mathematics degrees do not have to adhere to a certain high standard unlike medicine/dentistry. Which is why medicine and dentistry is AAA at every uni whereas you can get into law/maths at some unis with pretty low a level grades.
Medicine and dentistry are governed by the GMC and GDC and the government sets the student numbers, this is why the standard is soo high.
Incomparable to law and mathematics.
Original post by haseebi82
Well, according to both my cousins one studies Dentistry in his first year and the other she studies Medicine going into her third year, Both say it way more harder than a levels, because you could simply learn the exam techniques and pass , where as the Degree requires way more knowledge and understanding and it can be very hard to predict whats on the exams. I think it foolish to say one degree is less 'adhere' than another, especially the ones you mentioned because, not everyone who does medicine would be able to cope with Law and vice vera , it all depends on the passion you have for a subject, Both my cousins are reading your post and think your really narrow minded in what your saying.

When did I say that degrees weren't harder than a levels? wtf are you talking
about?

Im saying that ALL medical/dental degrees have to live up to a similar, very high standard, and the students at every medical/dental school are on a similar level.
The same cannot be said for maths or law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alevelzzz
When did I say that degrees weren't harder than a levels? wtf are you talking
about?

Before you edited your first post in the thread you implied it through a typo :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Before you edited your first post in the thread you implied it through a typo :tongue:

**** yea, I read it again after commenting back to you haha
It is not the Uni or course it's self it's what you make of it for example if you don't put in the work you won't get get grades you want from Uni. For example, havering college have an amazing social work programme but because it's not a Uni it's not respected yet people say that's it's amazing

Nightworld1066
But it's also about making use of it and applying knowledge into work place

Nightworld1066
Reply 69
Prob depends on the course what did u study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree on that too :smile: places like grenwich are amazing for nhs degrees and psychology but are totally **** for techmology

Nightworld1066
Original post by iloveteddy14
I agree on that too :smile: places like grenwich are amazing for nhs degrees and psychology but are totally **** for techmology

Nightworld1066

If you compare the NHS degrees there they are horrible in contrast to more superior places like KCL for example. The standard and expectation are different, I did Access to Pharmacy, so seen the lot with lesser unis. They have a lower expectation and teaching is bad.
Yeah but a degree in nursing, ot is black and white

Nightworld1066
Reply 73
The jump between GCSE and A-Levels is much greater than the jump between the latter and University.

I think A-Levels are marginally tougher than University, actually.
A-Levels highly encourage rote memorization and exam technique. It's why private school students always score straight A's since the quality of teaching practically drills that stuff into them. To a certain extent, you could theoretically get just about anyone into Oxbridge if you threw enough money at them.

Uni is far more laid back in terms of your studies and time management with a lot more emphasis on the real academic self-education. The content is objectively harder, but it's a far cry from the sheer packed insanity that was doing something like Further Maths + Physics + Chemistry at A-Level.

As someone who went from getting CDD at A-Level to straight Firsts at my first year of uni, I enjoy it a lot more for the same reasons I'd imagine someone who preferred the breakneck pace of A-Levels to be hating it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending