The Student Room Group

Intellectual elitism is what Uni should be about - not a means to educate everyone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
But are you saying people shouldn't go to unversity (which is consistant with my point) or that they shouldn't be allowed to go to university?

I think they should have to pay the full, unregulated market rate. While one could argue that this is not the same as disallowing attendance, the outcome would be largely the same and would probably be viewed as such.

(Although I think in such a world there would be as strong an argument for banning most degree courses as for banning, say, payday lenders)
Unpopular though this suggestion might be among the general public, I think that the only real justification for the government subsidising university education is that it has some social utility. Otherwise, what on Earth are taxpayers funding it for?
Original post by RayApparently
Only STEM? You don't think people should study:

Politics
Economics
History
Law

and the many other subjects that aren't STEM but whose students shape the world?

This. A lot of Graduate jobs in the business sector actually prefer students who have studied Business Management and Marketing. Everyone can't take STEM, if everyone did, STEM wouldn't be anything special and then people would be complaining about how there are too many people taking STEM subjects.
Original post by Rlove95
This. A lot of Graduate jobs in the business sector actually prefer students who have studied Business Management and Marketing. Everyone can't take STEM, if everyone did, STEM wouldn't be anything special and then people would be complaining about how there are too many people taking STEM subjects.

Exactly.
Original post by jessybclements
So you've got a first and completed that degree then have you ZeniB?

when did I ever say that? I was just commenting how in the past university was a priviledge for those intelligent enough to go and who were passionate about their subject. Nowadays it's just another stage in people's life and if people don't go when they reach 18 then everyone wonders why. It's annoying.
I must say I absolutely adore academical snobbery on TSR. Perfect mirror of our society today.

What to do when there are too many smart kids and not enough places on "prestigeous" universities? Universities other than RG should not exist?

Although I cannot agree with everything this man wrote, he made some very good points.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118747/ivy-league-schools-are-overrated-send-your-kids-elsewhere

With excellent conclusion.
"I used to think that we needed to create a world where every child had an equal chance to get to the Ivy League. I’ve come to see that what we really need is to create one where you don’t have to go to the Ivy League, or any private college, to get a first-rate education."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending