The Student Room Group

this girl in my class gets full marks all the time

I’m at this new sixth form and there’s this girl who is in my chemistry class - I sit next to her - and she gets like full marks in every paper.
People who already knew her said that all she does is just highlight her notes and watch YouTube videos and use Seneca but that can’t be true can it?
I’m also top of the class, not compared to her, but I have to put in SO much effort to get A*s in alevel chemistry.
I’ve heard her sister say to me that she gets up at 6am to study, which obviously shows that she works a lot harder than people think. The class thinks she’s just naturally gifted and doesn’t have to put much effort in.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at this new sixth form and there’s this girl who is in my chemistry class - I sit next to her - and she gets like full marks in every paper.
People who already knew her said that all she does is just highlight her notes and watch YouTube videos and use Seneca but that can’t be true can it?
I’m also top of the class, not compared to her, but I have to put in SO much effort to get A*s in alevel chemistry.
I’ve heard her sister say to me that she gets up at 6am to study, which obviously shows that she works a lot harder than people think. The class thinks she’s just naturally gifted and doesn’t have to put much effort in.

Some people are intellectually gifted (the top 2% in fact). The intellectually gifted are ahead of the rest to the point significant educational adjustments might actually be needed.

The girl's poor study habits might come back to bite her later, even if somehow she doesn't need to study much until 2nd or 3rd year of undergrad (some people are genuinely talented)
(edited 1 year ago)
She could spend hours every day endlessly studying, or she could be ‘naturally gifted’ and just
get it all straight away - at the end of the day - it doesn’t matter.

I had friends who I know for sure worked no harder than me and would get 90% every paper, whilst I worked my arse off to scrape a B. You just need to do what you have to do.

If it’s any consolation, I do chemistry at uni now, and it doesn’t matter how easy you found it at Sixth Form - if you don’t study, you will fail.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Max1357913
She could spend hours every day endlessly studying, or she could be ‘naturally gifted’ and just
get it all straight away - at the end of the day - it doesn’t matter.

I had friends who I know for sure worked no harder than me and would get 90% every paper, whilst I worked my arse off to scrape a B. You just need to do what you have to do.

If it’s any consolation, I do chemistry at uni now, and it doesn’t matter how easy you found it at Sixth Form - if you don’t study, you will fail.

Wrong, it matters.

Someone who is that intellectually gifted... as long as they actually keep up work... they could go quite far in the subject. Some people are so intelligent they cruise through university (yes, this happens)
Yeah, from experience alot of people lie about how much they revise - my advice would be to just focus on your own revision as you can't trust what people say. Otherwise you'll just get paranoid
Original post by justlearning1469
Wrong, it matters.

Someone who is that intellectually gifted... as long as they actually keep up work... they could go quite far in the subject. Some people are so intelligent they cruise through university (yes, this happens)

Yeah but that's such a waste of potential.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yeah but that's such a waste of potential.

It is.

But it's tough to keep a gifted student engaged. Some are so extreme even undergrad is easy for them, and whatever "enrichment" doesn't make a dent on their progress.

I'd advocate a lot more flexibility in pace of education, but it's not exactly the topic here.

My sister and friends are those ""naturally gifted"" people. Everyone has a different time where they are most efficient and focused and these smart people usually use that time purely to study. For my sis and friend, the time is at night, you'll never catch them waking up before 11 am unless they have a class in the morning. You need to find out what time are you the most focused in and how you can schedule your work so that during this focused time, you spend most your energy on studying. At the same time, just bc they get great grades doesn't mean much. Both, my friend and sister are the top in the class (always coming in the top 3) but they both suck at irl skills. Both cannot handle stressful situations and lack basic street sense and common sense. They have no idea when people are using them, no idea when they're getting taken advantage of, no idea how to get their work done (not academically but like irl wise yanno what I mean?), bad sense of judgement etc etc.

Me on the other hand, I'm no scholar, I'm as average as average can be, if not below average. I decided to "restart" life so to speak when I entered uni (cause I was done being disappointed at myself and others being disappointed in me and I'd been waiting for this opportunity for a long time) and actually ended up coming 1st for one of the sems (but then went a bit lower as time went on). I'm not first by any means anymore, but I'm above average and have better street skills, common sense and communication + management skills (in my opinion at least). Imo being first means nothing if you lack basic life skills. You should aim to be a well rounded indivudial, i.e., above average academically and have good, well rounded skills. In the long term, this is what employers look for. Your grades are just used as a cut-off to qualify for unis and interviews but your skills beyond academics actually land you the college or job.

Also, don't compare yourself harshly to others. Everyone has different skills and goals in life. Focus on what you're good at and what you wanna improve and I'm sure you'll achieve it. Make a realistic plan on how you'll achieve your goals and be organized, these are two important things which will always help you in life.
Reply 8

Maybe you could ask her what her revision techniques are? I don't think she's "naturally gifted" I think she works hard (unlike me) and tbh it's a bit sad that she's not getting recognised for her hard work in her class
Reply 9
If you get A*'s too, what's the point of this thread?
You're both getting to the same destination, just different journeys. Why do you want to know so much about her journey? To see if she sometimes struggles? Yes, I'm sure she does. Nobody is perfect!
Reply 10
If she's waking up 6am to study, she's already working much harder than the the average 6th former.

my best friend is exactly like that. She always got the highest marks in any subject - even out the year group and people just thought she was "naturally gifted". I cant speak for every smart kid out there but i knew her the most and i knew how her day went by and how she revised.
idk i feel bad when people say someone is naturally gifted - it makes it seem like they dont work hard at all but you clearly do when you get high or full marks. She could be lying or its just those methods work best for her. Recapping knowledge is good for retaining information anyway and for some subjects they do help me more than past papers.
If you get A*'s too, what's the point of this thread?
You're both getting to the same destination, just different journeys. Why do you want to know so much about her journey? To see if she sometimes struggles? Yes, I'm sure she does. Nobody is perfect!

I like this reply the best; I'd like the comment, but it seems that I've reached my limit of the day lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending