Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

is LSE better than Durham

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely LSE is better than Durham in terms of prestige.
(edited 11 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Durham is better than LSE for physics, and biology, and literature, and I could go on.

LSE is better for economics, finance, and I could go on again.

Neither one is better for medicine.

Point is, LSE is a social sciences institution. Durham is not. They both have their own individual strengths in specific departments and they both have different things to offer. It's apples and oranges unless you're talking specific subjects.
Reply 3
It doesn't hurt you. Both are excellent.

I got into Durham this year too, but I also got into Cambridge. If I had firmed Durham, my job prospects would not suddenly worsen to the point where I would not be able to get the same jobs as I would've if I had firmed Cam, just like going to Durham over LSE is not going to worsen your job prospects. At this calibre, no employer, embassy, government or whatever, is going to care that you went to Durham over LSE.

I *definitely* would not recommend reapplying next year because there is no guarantee you would even get another offer from Durham because it is competitive and there is definitely no guarantee of an offer from LSE, for which the competition is insane.

Relax. You're going to an excellent university.
Reply 4
LSE is more research intensive.

LSE is better funded and has superior finances.

LSE has superior reputation in both the UK and globally.

LSE has superior alumni despite being a younger university.

LSE alumni get superior jobs and pay.
LSE is better in terms of prestige
(edited 11 months ago)
Doesnt matter just go Durham and stop spamming the forum
Reply 7
Tier 1: Oxbridge

Tier 2a: LSE and Imperial
Tier 2b: UCL

Tier 3a: Edinburgh and KCL
Tier 3b: St Andrews, Durham, Bristol and Warwick
I'm going to Durham too for econ and although I didn't apply to LSE, I always had that thought of what if I did get apply to LSE, oxford etc. Then I just thought that I'm planning to do a masters anyway. LSE and Oxbridge are known to work you out like machines and limit social life. So I told myself I'll just enjoy my 4 years at Durham (doing a placement year), and apply to unis like LSE, Oxbridge for my masters where I don't have much care in balancing my social life
Original post by RoyalBeams

Depends on subjects. Warwick, for example, would definitely surpass Edinburgh and KCL in econ, business, finance etc
Durham and Warwick both rank higher than Edinburgh and KCL for politics. Warwick is just a generally good uni for social sciences including politics.
From what I've heard and seen from rankings, and if you're looking for employment in the UK then yes. Durham doesn't have as strong a reputation internationally compared to LSE purely because international ranks are based on research intensiveness and the majority of London unis surpass others on this basis. But Durham does have a good rep in the UK for both politics and philosophy.
Have you thought of doing further studies after gaining a bachelor's degree, such as a master's or PhD? Either way, you need to consider which uni you're most likely you'll get higher grades in as employers will be looking for firsts and/or 2:1s. LSE is known to be notorious for how they work their students, look up some youtube videos and you'll get a better idea. You can also google the stats on the percentage of students who got firsts/2:1s for each uni
You didn't mention what A-levels you are studying but consider that LSE only looks at your UCAS application and don't do stuff like interviews. You'll need very strong A-levels such as further maths and an extremely strong personal statement to even be considered.
I definitely wouldn't recommend reapplication as there's no guarantee you'll get the offers from the unis you've applied to this year, nevermind new unis. If you were to reapply, unis would also probably like to see in your personal statement what you have done during the gap year and they'll probably be looking for specifics as gap years are perfect opportunities to take on work experience but you may be seen less competitive than students that did not reapply.
Durham is still a strong uni but, same with every uni, it depends if you can graduate with the highest grades. Even if you went to LSE but you graduated with something lower than 2:2 then your application isn't gonna get a second glance
Original post by Carrotsroom
Depends on subjects. Warwick, for example, would definitely surpass Edinburgh and KCL in econ, business, finance etc

Well, I am talking in general.

If we start talking of "depending on subject" even Loughborough will beat Oxbridge in Sports Science.

Best to focus on general. Generally, Warwick is below Edinburgh and KCL.
Why don’t you ask the employers that you hope to work for instead of a bunch of 17 yr olds?
Durham clearly has the superior nightclub.

That is what really counts.
To become a diplomat, you need to join the civil service.

Civil service recruitment is merit based. They will not give a rat's arse about whether you attended Durham or LSE. It is all about how you perform when it comes to jumping through the hoops in the recruitment process.
Reply 17
Original post by RoyalBeams

Tell me you drink the London kool-aid without telling me.
Original post by Okorange
Tell me you drink the London kool-aid without telling me.

If that is what you call it.

It seems almost everyone in the UK and around the world is drinking the same thing, and that is what matters in regards to reputations, brands and respect.
Original post by username6135883
I really like the idea of being a diplomat- is the fact I’m not doing LSE/london ones going to hurt my chances over going to Durham?
Should I reapply next year?

You are overthinking this. Durham is a prestigious university in this country and certainly outranks LSE for some subjects and is higher than Oxford for some (have not looked at all subjects, only those relevant to our situation).

It in no way harms your chances of being a Diplomat. Go get the best degree you can; having a poor result will harm your chances, but not the fact that it is Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest