The Student Room Group

IB English A Extended Essay

I'm thinking of doing my EE on 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry and my teacher said it would be best if I get two texts to compare them but I don't know any other book I could use to compare it with.
Any ideas of similar books I could use?
If not, any ideas on a topic or a research question I could use for this book?

My other alternatives was going to be 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern or anything Paulo Coelho but I really want to stick with 'The Giver.'
Hello!
I can't really comment on the books yet because I haven't read them but I'll try to read them and get back to you soon! (hopefully tomorrow or the day after, if not next week)

You have to come up with your own research question in the end though:P -> IB Originality
Pick a topic which you like to analyse, and are most excited about. Which aspect of the novel captivated you? Was it the characterization/metaphors/setting/narrative style? Read through your text and find points to use for whichever topic you are focusing on and see if you can make it work(:

Moreover, if you're sticking with The Giver and keeping the option of two texts open, you have to decide on the topic first because the texts will have to have a common comparison topic. Try and look for other interesting novels with similar topics as yours and read/speedread through them first.

All the best for now! Read your text, brainstorm and work hard.
I'll be back soon.
Hello again! I've done a preliminary reading on The Giver and done some research online.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about your research question, assuming you have a title already.

I'll try to read The Night Circus as soon as I can.

All the best!

PS: The Giver's film adaptation is coming out this year. Cool.
Reply 3
Original post by hipsterrapunzel
Hello again! I've done a preliminary reading on The Giver and done some research online.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about your research question, assuming you have a title already.

I'll try to read The Night Circus as soon as I can.

All the best!

PS: The Giver's film adaptation is coming out this year. Cool.

Hey! Thanks so much for the effort, i've already handed in a couple of proposals and i'm going to have a meeting with the supervisors soon.

PS. I recently found out about the movie! I'm so excited for it.
Then, get your EE checked before handing it in: it really can make a difference -- Try these. They are IB tutors and examiners, and will make sure you EE does well. They improved my essay by 5 points (I missed some aspects of the criteria, but they caught it in time!)
Reply 5
I was going to do "The Giver" but my teacher said it would be too easy/overdone! I'd suggest switching books? But if you were to compare, I'd choose '1985,' 'A Clockwork Orange,''Animal Farm,' and 'Brave New World', also "Handmaid's Tale' is really goo! Good luck!

For more advice check out my IB blog

ibinib.blogspot.ca
I tend to agree with MimiUNI, The Giver will be seen as "too easy" by the IBO. It is a good book and a classic, but not likely to be considered the sort of thing worthy of a major assignment at DP. Somewhat depends on your aims and research question, but you'd better check anyway with your supervisor or teacher first.
Reply 7
Original post by MimiUNI
I was going to do "The Giver" but my teacher said it would be too easy/overdone! I'd suggest switching books? But if you were to compare, I'd choose '1985,' 'A Clockwork Orange,''Animal Farm,' and 'Brave New World', also "Handmaid's Tale' is really goo! Good luck!

For more advice check out my IB blog

ibinib.blogspot.ca

Yeah that's what I realised too. Especially with the producing of the movie the exclusive factor for the book is gone. I'm going to just stick with the Night Circus!

Thanks, i'll definitely check out your blog :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Shadesofgrey
I tend to agree with MimiUNI, The Giver will be seen as "too easy" by the IBO. It is a good book and a classic, but not likely to be considered the sort of thing worthy of a major assignment at DP. Somewhat depends on your aims and research question, but you'd better check anyway with your supervisor or teacher first.

Have you read the book "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern? How's this book for IBO?
Hi, sorry to get back so late-- but not too late, hopefully :smile:

The virtue of this book is that it is recent and therefore will not have been studied to death already. So that is the positive side.

The negative side is that it may be a limited in terms of complexity and what the IBO calls "literary value" -- however, much depends on your topic of investigation -- and more to the point, your thesis.

What will it be for this work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending