The Student Room Group

alevel or ib

I am doing my gcses this summer and so i also had to apply to a bunch of different schools for sixth form.however i am really stuck.
I applied to a school that does ib just so i ahd the option,but as the deadline for me to accept my conditional offer inches closer,i dont know what to do.
I do want to do vetinary medicine
so for alevels i would do maths biology,chemistry, and russian
and for ib i would do standard: maths,english literature,social and cultural anthropology.HIgher:biology,chemistry,russian
i know that mabye in my experience it would be better to do alevel as i know what i want to do and i really enjoy the sciences however i really want to study abroad and i know that doing ib makes you a better rounded person.
ive watched a few videos and i still do know at all.Ive asked my older sister who did alevels but then moved to europe and she and her fiance both reccomended that i do ib as you are better rounded and it is internationally recognised.
Honestly im not too sure how motivated i am as a student as ive always had doubts in my education although i am predicted and got 8s and 9s in my mocks.
for both alevels and ib i would go to a different school so theres also that.
Im really not sure if anyone would be happy to help that would be really great!
if i were to do ib i would go bexley grammar school which has an ib only 6th form and (if i get in) for alevels i would go to judd.
Original post by Mariashumilova
I am doing my gcses this summer and so i also had to apply to a bunch of different schools for sixth form.however i am really stuck.
I applied to a school that does ib just so i ahd the option,but as the deadline for me to accept my conditional offer inches closer,i dont know what to do.
and for ib i would do standard: maths,english literature,social and cultural anthropology.HIgher:biology,chemistry,russian
i know that mabye in my experience it would be better to do alevel as i know what i want to do and i really enjoy the sciences however i really want to study abroad and i know that doing ib makes you a better rounded person.
ive watched a few videos and i still do know at all.Ive asked my older sister who did alevels but then moved to europe and she and her fiance both reccomended that i do ib as you are better rounded and it is internationally recognised.
Honestly im not too sure how motivated i am as a student as ive always had doubts in my education although i am predicted and got 8s and 9s in my mocks.
if i were to do ib i would go bexley grammar school which has an ib only 6th form and (if i get in) for alevels i would go to judd.

It depends on how much work you want to do as well. IB covers more subjects so people find it harder to balance the work load. Are you ready for that? The jump from GCSEs to Alevels is massive and my friend who got straight 9s in her GCSE had the occasion E on her test during alevel - i don't know what it's like for IB but i can only imagine harder. I'm not saying this to put you off, but only to make it clear that just because you have very good grades in GCSE, doesn't mean that alevels are gonna be somewhat better to deal with.
Not only that but you can still study abroad without an IB, if you go to uni you can juts apply for a year abroad or smt. Many people don't do an IB and still study abroad. Is there a specific place you want to study at? Does it tell you that you need an IB? bc if not then doing alevel isn't a bad choice. If you know what you wanna do, then i would go for alevels, there will be plenty of chances for you to study abroad. Its up to you, go with ur gut. You've done the research so maybe something may be more favorable to you
Also it's crazy, Judd is literally just around the corner from me. Most of the students are known to be extremely smart and academic, another friend of mine goes there and the whole environment pressures her into doing more and more work. It sounds like a sixthform that does very well in their alevels and it has a good reputation as far as i'm aware. As for bexley, i have no idea.
Reply 2
Hii!
For context, I am currently taking IB and I am in a school where IB and A-levels are both offered so I have some friends who do a-leves.
I personally think it comes down to what type of person you are. If you have interests in many different areas and would like to study subjects like english even if you do not want to study it, IB would work very well for you. Taking other subjects that are not related to your interest also allow you to have a bit of a break between all the other subjects, and you have more subjects in a day so it is less repetitive aswell. But if you have a very niche interest and are very good at that but are weaker in other areas that do not have to do with your interests, then a-levels would be better.
I personally think ib can also prepare you better for university due to the extended essay and internal assessments, which makes you more able to write scientific papers. IB also has a higher workload which can be stressful but also very good preparation for uni. If you are a good organiser and can handle stress than I think IB would work well for you.
But if you just really want to focus on the subjects you would do at a-level and don't have a big interest or strength in English and cultural anthropology then a-level might be better.
Hope this helps!
Study Medicine in Malta! Malta is a part of the EU, and after completing your medical degree there, you can work in any European country. Malta is the best place to study medicine in Europe because the mode of instruction is English. Imagine studying medicine on a beautiful island with pleasant weather and abundant opportunities. Medical universities in Malta offer a three-year online program and three years of clinical training in the best hospitals in Europe, enhancing your clinical knowledge. Limited seats are available in Maltese medical universities, so earn your seat now and fulfill your dream of becoming a doctor. We turn your dream into reality.Contact Us Now for more information and secure your seat in MedDentAbroad! contact us +31648029409
Reply 4

i had the same problem - but ultimately i decided to go with a levels purely because i’m not the most confident in french, i get by through memorization and dread the subject, same with english lit - i’ve applied to tonbridge grammar school for ib though, which if i don’t get into judd i think i’d prefer over other sixth forms i’ve applied to.

ib is supposed to be equivalent to 4 and a half a levels, so it’s a bit more than you’d do at judd where it’s 4, but imo it depends on if you know what you want to do after sixth form, all my a levels are stem subjects and i want to study maths or natural sciences at uni - so taking history at ib for example (as much as i enjoy it) wouldn’t particularly benefit me yk - a levels allow you to specialize, and if you’re looking to keep your options more open, ib is the better choice!
Reply 5
Bexley is great. Imo the teachers are all good but the 6th form centre isn't as nice as some other schools like I know newer schools like chislehurst and sidcup have a niceee 6th form with their own canteen - not really needed though as you can leave school to eat. Physics at bexley have really good teachers.
Original post by Keirh
Bexley is great. Imo the teachers are all good but the 6th form centre isn't as nice as some other schools like I know newer schools like chislehurst and sidcup have a niceee 6th form with their own canteen - not really needed though as you can leave school to eat. Physics at bexley have really good teachers.

wdym by the sixth form isnt great
Reply 7
Original post by mp12345678
wdym by the sixth form isnt great
Ill be honest in comparison to some other schools I have seen the facilities arent as good, still really good sixth form for teachers and stuff just maybe not as good as some newer schools

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending