The Student Room Group

Do you live at home while attending uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by veralucia91
I will be commuting and I have heard so many bad things about it, but your post was great to give me confidence! Thank you! =D

there are good and bad about both, but you just have to try to focus on the positives. if you commute for a year or so and its really getting you down, you could always move out in your later years :smile: when everyones all partied out, youll just be getting started haha. as long as you make the effort with people and throw yourself out there youll be fine, itll be hard at first, it is for everyone, but you just have to stick it out, be yourself and take it as an opportunity to meet new people :smile: good luck!
Original post by Chocolatesoup
there are good and bad about both, but you just have to try to focus on the positives. if you commute for a year or so and its really getting you down, you could always move out in your later years :smile: when everyones all partied out, youll just be getting started haha. as long as you make the effort with people and throw yourself out there youll be fine, itll be hard at first, it is for everyone, but you just have to stick it out, be yourself and take it as an opportunity to meet new people :smile: good luck!

Yeah I think you are right!! :biggrin: Thanks! :biggrin: I will make the best I can to be involved in as much as I can! Even though I am working at the same time because I am independent I really want to make the most of my experience at uni! Thank you very much again :biggrin:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Would you say that people who live at home really, very much significantly, miss out on the whole uni experience in your opinion?

I wouldn't say that I miss out on a lot actually, and definitely not anything that exciting, maybe you miss a couple of freshers events but you'd be surprised by how many people live at home and are in the same boat. I didn't think there would be any, but half my class lives out. It just seemed to me that the huge difference came at exam season where everyone lived in the library and I actually went home at night, which isnt a bad thing. It meant I got proper sleep, proper meals, and I actually did my work calmly.
Original post by vicky8761
I wouldn't say that I miss out on a lot actually, and definitely not anything that exciting, maybe you miss a couple of freshers events but you'd be surprised by how many people live at home and are in the same boat. I didn't think there would be any, but half my class lives out. It just seemed to me that the huge difference came at exam season where everyone lived in the library and I actually went home at night, which isnt a bad thing. It meant I got proper sleep, proper meals, and I actually did my work calmly.

I guess it varies by uni almost everyone I knew lived in halls then rented or went in to second year halls after the first year
Original post by veralucia91
Yeah I think you are right!! :biggrin: Thanks! :biggrin: I will make the best I can to be involved in as much as I can! Even though I am working at the same time because I am independent I really want to make the most of my experience at uni! Thank you very much again :biggrin:

I work too, but it can be alright to balance it all as long as youre organised :biggrin: if you need any help or need a chat feel free to message me. just remember everyone else feels the same way as you inside even if on the outside they look like they arent worried or nervous at all!
Original post by Chocolatesoup
I work too, but it can be alright to balance it all as long as youre organised :biggrin: if you need any help or need a chat feel free to message me. just remember everyone else feels the same way as you inside even if on the outside they look like they arent worried or nervous at all!

Yeah you are right! Thank you! I know that the first few weeks will be crazy with a lot to take in, but I am confident that everything will be fine, I will try to go to as many things I can to make the most of it :biggrin: Thank you very much again ^^
Yes I live at home and commute to uni
The accommodation i looked into cost nearly £5000, and left me with £4 from my loan and grant. I didn't see the point in spending that amount of money when I can travel to uni within 15 minutes on a metro. Most of my friends are commuting as well, i only know 2 people who have decided to live in halls. I'll be attending most events at freshers and don't feel like i'll be missing out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending