The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Commuting to Nottingham

Hi, I am currently in year 13 and was wondering if it is worth commuting 1hr 30 every day to Nottingham. Nottingham has my specific course which I want to do. ( I do have backup plan but would much prefer doing this course!!)
Has anyone else done this and how was it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am currently in year 13 and was wondering if it is worth commuting 1hr 30 every day to Nottingham. Nottingham has my specific course which I want to do. ( I do have backup plan but would much prefer doing this course!!)

If its round trip its a lot of commuting but just about managable but still quite difficult (and not something that will be fun as a student).

If its each way this is far too long imo. Can you rent somewhere local to the uni, this is what most students do.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
too far to commute and traffic can be awful.
Original post by mnot
If its round trip its a lot of commuting but just about managable but still quite difficult (and not something that will be fun as a student).

If its each way this is far too long imo. Can you rent somewhere local to the uni, this is what most students do.

1hr 30 each way 😬. I’m just stuck as I don’t really want to sacrifice my course and then later regret it but I’m not sure.
Cant move out tho
Original post by ReadingMum
too far to commute and traffic can be awful.

True thanks- just stuck with getting away from the course, I don’t want to regret not putting the effort in?
Original post by Thestudent107SWC
1hr 30 each way 😬. I’m just stuck as I don’t really want to sacrifice my course and then later regret it but I’m not sure.
Cant move out tho

Far too long. 3 hours a day will be miserable & seriously impact your studies.

same im from leicester and the commute is around an hour ish like 20-30mins by train and 10 mins tram and 20 mins to get to the station idk if its worth it but im going to apply and then do the journey if i get an offer and see if its worth it :smile:
Original post by dsfdmkvkfmm
same im from leicester and the commute is around an hour ish like 20-30mins by train and 10 mins tram and 20 mins to get to the station idk if its worth it but im going to apply and then do the journey if i get an offer and see if its worth it :smile:

Good idea. The problem is I’m not absolutely certain on my course which makes the choice even more difficult. Idk what to do. I don’t know if it’s manageable for me personally. I’m scared I don’t want to regret choosing notts and only bing able to manage it for like a month and then regret it completely
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Thestudent107SWC
Good idea. The problem is I’m not absolutely certain on my course which makes the choice even more difficult. Idk what to do. I don’t know if it’s manageable for me personally. I’m scared I don’t want to regret choosing notts and only bing able to manage it for like a month and then regret it completely

yeah you might wanna try the journey and see if its worth it
Original post by username4933106

Hi,

I am a current student at the University of Nottingham.

My personal advice would be to attend all the open days, offer holder days or information events that you can. Try and ask prospective students from your specific course what the hours look like.
You could try doing the journey and see if it would be possible to do work etc on the commute. If it works that you could get some work done then that could mean when you get home in the evening you are done for the day.

I would say just to have a think about if you are motivated enough to get up early enough to make it to a 9am and to do work whenever you can to make it work out for you.

I will say however that as someone that hated public transport in the past, I have found Nottingham super easy and quick to get around, get to the station etc.

any questions let me know,
Emily :smile:
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hi,

I am a current student at the University of Nottingham.

My personal advice would be to attend all the open days, offer holder days or information events that you can. Try and ask prospective students from your specific course what the hours look like.
You could try doing the journey and see if it would be possible to do work etc on the commute. If it works that you could get some work done then that could mean when you get home in the evening you are done for the day.

I would say just to have a think about if you are motivated enough to get up early enough to make it to a 9am and to do work whenever you can to make it work out for you.

I will say however that as someone that hated public transport in the past, I have found Nottingham super easy and quick to get around, get to the station etc.

any questions let me know,
Emily :smile:

hi,
what is the earliest lesson/lecture you could have?

I could hardly be bothered to commute 20 mins on the bus. In all honesty living that far is a pain in the ass. Can you not get a maintenance loan and try to live nearer. Although I know accommodation is far from cheap
Reply 12

Hey, personally i would advise not to as you will be 1hr 30min each day coming back and forth to university instead why not get a accommodation, plus i actually know someone that use todo that and they were so fed up at the end

I would agree with the others in saying its a bit far! Living away from home adds to your uni experience though so I wouldn't definitely rule that out!
Original post by dsfdmkvkfmm
hi,
what is the earliest lesson/lecture you could have?

The earliest you could start is 9am :smile:

Hi! I agree with the other replies - this is far too long a journey each day to be feasible. Bear in mind the latest you can finish is 6pm, so you would be getting back quite late as well, have dinner and not have much time afterwards to do any work. What course is it? It may be worth contacting the Head of your course, and seeing if there is an option to study remotely if you still really want to do this course. With how things are at the moment, a lot of my lectures are online, with a few things in person (that are also recorded), especially during this pandemic. My course is very practical as I study chemistry so need to be in the lab a lot of the time, but if your course isn't a practical course you may be able to study remotely. It's an option if you really have your heart set on this course and uni. But I would advise looking at unis that are closer to you if you really want to have the full uni experience of attending things in person and making new friends, going onto campus, etc.

Its been a while to this post. I commute 1hr 10 ish (1hr30 on a bad ish day) to UoN. Im in my second year and its going okay. I used to do the train before which was a bit longer as i lived quite far from the train station. But its doable, u just gotta make the most of that time, as it will be spent regardless. But if u absolutely hate it then you can live in accom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending