The Student Room Group

University far away

It's still early for me as I am only a first year college student. However I want a complete fresh start to life I think, will I regret going to uni in like London (173 miles away) or should I stay local when I do apply?
173 miles isn’t very far? Depending on transport links it’s close enough for a day trip!
Some people travel to the other side of the world.

Have you visited London before? Did you enjoy the visit? Can you afford to live in London? Are you prepared for the daily commute?

Home or London aren’t your only options.

What do you want to study at university?
Original post by Anonymous #1
It's still early for me as I am only a first year college student. However I want a complete fresh start to life I think, will I regret going to uni in like London (173 miles away) or should I stay local when I do apply?

London is the best city in the world. 😀

Anon,

London is an exciting, cosmopolitan city, but it can also feel very big and lonely (if you are not from London and if you don't have friends or family there).

It might be an idea to think about whether you are a city person. Do you like the busyness, rush, and individualism that cities give or are you more about community, and seeing familiar faces, talking to people on the bus and in the street and having a more quiet pace of life?

Do you have family who live in or near London or friends who also plan to go to London, even if not the same university? It is useful to have people you know so that if everything does feel overwhelming or even if you feel a bit homesick ,there are people you can spend time with and reach out to.

In London, university campuses tend to be spread around the city, which may or may not suit you. It also useful to think about the cost: rent and transport (around London and also if you plan to go home frequently).

It might be an idea to put one or two universities down that are in London and a couple of universities which are closer to you. Definitely go to open days so you can get a feel for what it will be like to study there.

Finally, university will be a new start. Moving just depends on how many changes you want to make. In the first year of uni, you are getting used to university buildings, lecturers, students in your classes and your studies. If you choose to move away from home then you are also adjusting to living independently, food shopping, cooking, laundry, budgeting, new flatmates and living in a new city or town, so take time to think about how many changes you want to make.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

Although it may seem like a while away, it is a good idea to think about your University choices early on.
London is a lovely city, if you are looking for a change in lifestyle you could definitely try it out. Transportation to London is quite convenient so it should not be too difficult commuting home.

Applying locally would mean that you can keep in touch with friends and family, but equally, staying further away has its perks. I reckon it is good for gaining new skills and independence. It really depends on what you are looking for.

I would recommend attending some open days to get an idea of what you like. Perhaps go to several Universities and decide which you enjoy the most. This can really help to inform your decisions.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
If your worried about the distance why not look at places between London and your home town as well as London maybe places like 1-2 hours away you can justify staying in halls if it’s that length if commute but it also won’t be too hard to go home if you want to or need too.

Hi there,

With UCAS, you can apply to 5 universities so I'd recommend applying to a mixture. You don't have to make any huge choices now. The best that I would say is to do your research and try to attend open days wherever you can. London can be expensive so I'd recommend starting to plan how you may afford such an expensive move and putting some time into working out what you want to study through additional readings, watching lectures on youtube etc.

This is a really fun and exciting time so I hope that you enjoy designing your future!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,

It's good to start looking at universities early, and this way you can make time to try and visit all of the open days for the universities you are thinking of!

If you decide to stay local, you will be close to family and friends, however if you are looking for a fresh start it may be ideal to move further away. Moving away gives you independence and the opportunity to lean new life skills.

London is a great city, however university can be quite different to other cities as they are often not campus based. So I would recommend going to some open days in London to see if this is for you! London is also quite expensive so this is worth baring in mind, however you should get a little bit more student loan for studying in London (I'm not sure how much).

Transport to and from London is good so you should be able to get trains home when you want to come home so don't worry too much about this!
You could also look at universities near London if you wanted to be away from home but not quite in London. However, this is all personal preference!

I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending