The Student Room Group

Would I qualify for contextual offers?

I’m unsure if I qualify for these contextual offers:

Living in a poor area:
I currently live in a flat, it’s my home address. We can’t receive mail as there’s no mail box. I’m using my step dads postal address for mail. I don’t live there. Do universities look at postal address or home address when making contextual offers? I don’t think I would qualify for a contextual offer if they consider the postal address. Although, where I live is quintile one.

Kinship:
I have been in kinship care while my grandma looked after me in my home country while my mum settled in England. My grandma was my legal guardian for almost 3 years. This was before secondary school started, though. I see some universities (like Queen Mary’s) that only consider contextual offers for students in care while they’re in secondary school - present day. Is this the same for all universities?
Original post by Cheekymeerkat
I’m unsure if I qualify for these contextual offers:

Living in a poor area:
I currently live in a flat, it’s my home address. We can’t receive mail as there’s no mail box. I’m using my step dads postal address for mail. I don’t live there. Do universities look at postal address or home address when making contextual offers? I don’t think I would qualify for a contextual offer if they consider the postal address. Although, where I live is quintile one.

Kinship:
I have been in kinship care while my grandma looked after me in my home country while my mum settled in England. My grandma was my legal guardian for almost 3 years. This was before secondary school started, though. I see some universities (like Queen Mary’s) that only consider contextual offers for students in care while they’re in secondary school - present day. Is this the same for all universities?

Universities have different rules with regards to contextual candidates. Given the unusual nature of your address and historical care arrangements, I recommend you contact any universities that you're considering applying to and ask what their stance would be and whether or not you'd qualify.
Reply 2
Most contextual criteria in regards to where an applicant lives is usually one of the following:

When the applicant lives in either quintile 1 and 2

Whether the applicant lives in an area that would be considered within the bottom 4 deciles of the Index of multiple deprivation (IMD)

Whether an applicant lives in an area with low progression onto higher education.

There are others such as attending a school that has an attainment 8 score below the national average etc

My advice would be to look at each universities contextual criteria individually and see whether you meet it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending