The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bismarck
It's called a fact. Average Pakistanis and Bengalis in Britain make far below the national average.

So in summary then you do not agree with me that muslims should be allowed to live segregated lives (to one extreme or another) if that's what they want and should instead be forced to integrate for their own good. What would be the methods and means of this compulsary integration that you would recommend?
I think if they want integration it has to be for everyone, not just Muslims. There are plenty of communities of segregate themselves.
D00
Throw away THEIR culture? What about our culture - the British culture? Our country is getting fulled up with mosques, our signs are being written in a secondary language (hindi or whatever the hell they speak)..

What is YOUR culture? Does Britain have a national dress btw?

Also, Britain is someone's country once they're born there. If someone's a muslim, and is born in Britain then it's their country too - Yvonne Ridley for example.

Howard
Why is integration such a big thing anyway? What's so good about it? It doesn't worry me if muslims want to live in isolated pockets throughout the country one bit. On the contrary.

I've never understood this and i agree with you quite a bit. For example, i don't mix very much with the hamadurua's (buddhist monks) here although if one came to me i would be civil and cordial. There's nothing stopping you from being perfectly normal, even if you don't agree with someone or their beliefs. It's not always an all-out war!

Also, this idea about dress, why is it such a bit deal? If you wanna wear pastor robes and i a thowb, does it absolutely have to make a difference in the way we interact? :smile: I'm agreeing with you btw.

And this idea about them hating Britain - i dunno why some of them are like that, and well it's rather weird.
Reply 43
Howard
Why is integration such a big thing anyway? What's so good about it? It doesn't worry me if muslims want to live in isolated pockets throughout the country one bit. On the contrary.

Exactly I don't get the big deal either.
Reply 44
Howard
So in summary then you do not agree with me that muslims should be allowed to live segregated lives (to one extreme or another) if that's what they want and should instead be forced to integrate for their own good. What would be the methods and means of this compulsary integration that you would recommend?

Integration should be strongly encouraged, as the price of a lack of it are French-type riots and 7/7. If people from a certain part of the world refuse to integrate, immigration from those areas should be severely restricted. Some degree of national cohesion is necessary for national security.
Reply 45
Bismarck
Integration should be strongly encouraged, as the price of a lack of it are French-type riots and 7/7. If people from a certain part of the world refuse to integrate, immigration from those areas should be severely restricted. Some degree of national cohesion is necessary for national security.

How are they to integrate? And do they not already do so? Muslim children go to state schools don't they? State universities? Jobs are open to Muslim candidates are they not? What are you looking for here exactly - marriages between Muslims and native Brits?

Do London's Jews integrate? DTF! They all live in places like Golders Green and mix amongst themselves. So if it's good for London's Jews why not Bradford's Muslims.

And have you ever stopped to ask yourself whether the host nation actually wants the level of integration you are prescribing. Do predominantly white middle class secular neighbourhoods want or need these "dirt poor" (I think that was your choice of words) and highly volatile, non English speaking Bangladeshis living next door? Do the people of the quant Hertfordhire village of Preston need, want, or desire, a transplant of Pakistani families from the Lancashire town of Preston?

I think this is a case of "what a wonderful world this would be so long as its not in my back yard"
D00
Throw away THEIR culture? What about our culture - the British culture? Our country is getting fulled up with mosques, our signs are being written in a secondary language (hindi or whatever the hell they speak)..

Sorry, but that statement is just pure ignorant. If they don't like our culture and they dont want to intergrate into OUR society - then why are they here? They're using this country.

1) you are a ****ing hypocrite. As it you who is ignorant. You dont know that the faith of a person doesnt dictate what language one speaks.

2) Secondly, there are british born muslims; where the hell are they meant to go?

3) They are using in as much as you do, and have the same rights as you. Therefore, they have the right to make a decision if they want to, or not want to integrate into "society". Taking Margeret Thatcher's perspective, i believe there is NO society.
Reply 47
Bismarck
:rolleyes: I live in a neighborhood that's almost 50% immigrant, and in a city that's 40% immigrant. I also went to an undergrad university that was about 60% immigrant.

So? Is it compulsary for everybody to want to live as you do?
Reply 48
Bismarck
If they lived next door, they wouldn't be dirt poor or highly volatile. Those characteristics are functions of them not integrating. There is no inherent reason why a Pakistani or a Bengali can't integrate as much into British society as a Saxon or a Norman.

Is it only white Anglo-Saxon/Norman society that needs to embrace integration with the muslim community of do other "micro-societies" need to be doing the same.

Do you think Britain's Jewish community ought also to be integrating with "dirt poor" Bangladeshis or is it just something that "white folks" need to do?
Reply 49
Bismarck
How many people prefer constant terrorist attacks to living near a Muslim?

Don't be ridiculous. How pathetic.
Reply 50
Bismarck
How many people prefer constant terrorist attacks to living near a Muslim?

I doubt any sane individual would. But I don't think you can really say even in the post 9/11 years that we have 'constant terrorist attacks.'
Every religious person is an unnecessary threat, not just Muslims. If Muslims must integrate, they all have to integrate. No more segregated schooling for any religion.
Reply 52
Bismarck
See above.

I have looked above and you are not answering my question.
Reply 53
Bismarck
Stop being intentionally obtuse. You know full well that a lack of integration is directly responsible for the terrorist attacks. The Muslims in the US are far better integrated, and only a handful would even consider attacking the US.

No I don't. WTF are you talking about? Did you not see the suicide tapes of the 7/7 bombers? Young muslim men, born and bred in the country, speaking in broad Yorkshire accents; the product of typical British education and backgrounds and well experienced an acustomed to British culture. These people were integrated. In fact at least one of them was a recent convert to Islam (as are two or three of the more recently arrested plotters) so lets have no more silliness here. When I see these young men I am not struck by how unintegrated they are.
Reply 54
Damn the 14 people rep rule! That post is rep worthy (as are many of Howard's when he isn't talking about religion).
what 14 people can't rep the same post? or the same person in one time period?
Reply 56
If you rep a person, you have to rep 14 more people before you can rep the same person again. Change in the rules.
Bismarck
Stop being such a relativist. All religions are not equally threatening. When's the last time you heard of a fundamentalist Buddhist or Jew killing someone for religious reasons in Britain?

You can't have it all ways. Buddhists may appear fluffy, until they are segregated and another Aum Shinrikyo comes along. There are some Jews so segregated they are born in Britain and live in Stamford Hill yet have Yiddish accents, easy pickings for one person with big ideas. All non-atheistic religions base themselves in unsubstantiated beliefs, and any religion can spawn fanatics who pose a threat if these people are pushed just a little further into other unsubstantiated ideas.
To me, the idea that someone of one religion can berate someone of another is laughable. Sometimes I actually laugh out loud. If you want proof of the lurking danger, then look at the 'Would you kill if God asked you to' thread. If I had my way everyone who answered 'yes' in that thread would be locked up, sectioned, away from society. All it would need is for one person to interpret a sign as being from God to kill people, and for their 'faith' to override rational thinking that it could be drugs or epilepsy or any other provable thing, and you'd have carnage. Religion = danger.
Reply 58
Bismarck
You must have a rather low opinion of Britian if you think being born there and having a British accent is all that it takes to be British. These people were for the most part uneducated, lived in ghettos, and more or less unemployable. How many of them went to, let alone finished a university? How many lived in areas that weren't predominantly Muslim?

One of them, Shahzad Tanweer, worked in a school FFS. I don't think employ uneducated people in schools.
Reply 59
I wonder what would happen if an American decided to live his American lifestyle in Saudi Arabia...?

Latest

Trending

Trending