The Student Room Group

Hardest part of A level maths

What topics do you think students drop the most marks in or which ones do you find particularly hard in A level maths?
The ones they have no interest in. If you have an interest, you'll find it easy, even if you have to engineer that interest!
Oh and year 2 integration
Reply 2
Original post by aioheuiawe
The ones they have no interest in. If you have an interest, you'll find it easy, even if you have to engineer that interest!
Oh and year 2 integration

Yeah Integration and differentiation is a must but what other topics might throw you off? I've seen a couple for people complaining about vectors but the textbook questions are easy.
I didn't find differentiation hard at all, integration simply because we learnt it so quickly, at the same time as differentiation, and it is just a bit harder...

Other than that, not much tbh. Perhaps year 2 trig, because it's in integration a lot haha. Vectors are definitely easy.
Reply 4
I didn't find differentiation hard at all, integration simply because we learnt it so quickly, at the same time as differentiation, and it is just a bit harder...

Other than that, not much tbh. Perhaps year 2 trig, because it's in integration a lot haha. Vectors are definitely easy.

That's not too bad then. It's just cause we rushed through both as well which is why I need to revise them but I'll definitely look over year 2 trig as well.
I find with calculus, as I said, interest really helps. It'll allow you to properly understand it in a mathematical context, rather than an exam context. So when that really difficult question comes up, you have the edge.
Reply 6
I find with calculus, as I said, interest really helps. It'll allow you to properly understand it in a mathematical context, rather than an exam context. So when that really difficult question comes up, you have the edge.

What do you think I could do to propertly appreciate the mathematical content so that I have an edge during difficult exam questions. Right now the only reason I'm putting in so much effort is because its one of the modules on the software engineering degree I want to take at university.
I'm doing computer science, so somewhat similar =) I'd say the most important, at least for me, is linear algebra and probably calculus - for the maths modules.

To properly appreciate it, I'd say get interested out of school time. Before we'd first learnt calculus I'd heard about it so much I was really excited to finally find out what it actually was and how it worked. I've, since then, watched a few YouTube videos on it, explaining it in some nice alternative manners, without exams in mind, and there are some quite nice explanations.

I definitely recommend 3Blue1Brown's series on calculus, some really nice animations and explanations - without always referencing derivatives to be gradients of graphs. I find it slow at times, since it's split into manyyy videos, but if you pick the ones you want and have time they're super nice to watch.

Just things like that, doing maths problems outside of school, you'll come across a lot of knowledge that you otherwise wouldn't.
(edited 4 years ago)
have definitely found integration by substitution the most difficult so far, and year 2 trig took me a while to grasp.
Reply 9
I'm doing computer science, so somewhat similar =) I'd say the most important, at least for me, is linear algebra and probably calculus - for the maths modules.

To properly appreciate it, I'd say get interested out of school time. Before we'd first learnt calculus I'd heard about it so much I was really excited to finally find out what it actually was and how it worked. I've, since then, watched a few YouTube videos on it, explaining it in some nice alternative manners, without exams in mind, and there are some quite nice explanations.

I definitely recommend 3Blue1Brown's series on calculus, some really nice animations and explanations - without always referencing derivatives to be gradients of graphs. I find it slow at times, since it's split into manyyy videos, but if you pick the ones you want and have time they're super nice to watch.

Just things like that, doing maths problems outside of school, you'll come across a lot of knowledge that you otherwise wouldn't.

Thanks for the reference. I'll be sure to check out the series and hopefully revive my interest in calculus!
I found vectors kinda tricky
Statistics
Integration
Integrating parametric equations can be fiddly, or modelling differential equations
Reply 13
sus

Quick Reply

Latest