The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lack of integration may be the surface explanation for this type of terrorism, but the explanation for religious extremism, as the name suggests, is and always will be religion. There are enough excuses for extremists as it is, without the need to exacerbate the problem with delusions of gods and martyrs.
the terrorism was due 2 the governments foreign policy, i have no view on that.More Integration will make britain a better place,but its hard to do.
Reply 62
Bismarck
You must have a rather low opinion of Britian if you think being born there and having a British accent is all that it takes to be British. These people were for the most part uneducated, lived in ghettos, and more or less unemployable. How many of them went to, let alone finished a university? How many lived in areas that weren't predominantly Muslim?

And you have a rather high opinion of Britain if you think the hallmark of being British is a university education. Besides, you're wrong (again) anyway. Let's look at the profiles:

Mohammad Sidique Khan received his secondary education at South Leeds High School, formerly the Matthew Murray High School, and went on to study at Leeds Metropolitan University.

Shehzad Tanweer (the son of a fish and chip shop owning parents - how integrated do you want?) attended Wortley High School, and then attended Leeds Metropolitan University.

Hasib Hussain received his primary education at Ingram Road Primary School, Holbeck and in 1998, he began his secondary education at South Leeds High School — formerly the Matthew Murray High School. Despite a good attendance record he was withdrawn by teachers from all his GCSE exams before leaving school on 20 July 2003. He held a GNVQ in business studies. He was a member of the Holbeck Hornets football team and the local cricket team.

Seems to me that none of these were what you might call uneducated with the possble exception of Germaine Lindsay was born in Jamaica and moved to the UK when he was 5 months old later converting to Islam at age 15. A carpet-fitter, he had previously lived in Huddersfield in West Yorkshire before moving to Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.

So we have here 2 of 4 attending university. These are not uneducated or unintegrated people. Indeed, were I to pick four Brits entirely at random off the street I would certainly find that these four muslim youths were comparably integrated into society and possibly better educated than my random sample.
You cant force someone to integrate, muslims don't seem to want to integrate, it's not going to happen,it's a total fantasy.
Reply 64
Yeah, and if they can't integrate they shouldn't be here. Because it creates divides and then we get a 7/7.
Reply 65
Zebedee
Yeah, and if they can't integrate they shouldn't be here. Because it creates divides and then we get a 7/7.

What do you want them to do? Invite you round for a curry or something?
To the original post, I have always looked at “Integration” in view as a good thing. However skimming through these posts I think my personal understating/ interpretation of integration seems to differ slightly.

Aethiest, Muslim, Christian, Bhuddist, Black, Brown, White etc….. Everyone has there own choice to their walks of life.

I think “Integration” has more to do with having a “Mutual Understanding and Respect” towards these and one another, of all cultures, religions/ walks of life, allowing us to live/ grow up together in relative harmony

Ridiculous, Pathetic, Narrow minded comments do nothing but show a lack of understanding, these types of comments simply incite and, at the roots create the viscous cycle of haterige and amounts of bigotry we see on all sides which plainly the country/ world does not need!
2 the guy that says muslims speak hindi,he is mistaken,muslims mainly speak urdu or arabic.Indians most of whom are hindu speak hindi.
Reply 68
Howard
What do you want them to do? Invite you round for a curry or something?

No, its a good argument for ceasing immigration. If the ones we have can't integrate then why get anymore?

If the boats sinking, what do you do? first you fix the leak, then you tend to the flooding. Bailing out the water is pointless if the leak is bigger than you can cope with because you will eventually sink.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5290338.stm

I'm actually pleasently surprised, she seems to be issuing harsh words :O to the muslimc community on the issue of faith schools. very surprising.
Reply 69
Integration? Bloody load of nationalist nonsense. I really thought we'd advanced beyond that when we stopped giving children the cane for speaking Celtic languages in schools.

When someone is born or naturalised into this country, they have as much right as anybody to follow which ever culture they damn well please. Indeed, I consider it part of my human liberties to be able to wake up on any given day and adopt whichever manner of living I fancy.

I couldn't care less whether commonality is 'good for the nation' or whatever other nonsense is being used to justify this rhetoric, I simply reject it entirely.
Reply 70
I don't think any of us can rigidly cling to whatever political ideal we hail from. Libertine North, the liberty to do what you want is something you obviously hold dear, but it must also have limits.

For example, you believe that people should be able to live in whatever way they like. What if this includes setting up special faith schools that unintentionally act as honey pots for islamic extremism and terror?

Its all well and good to have this ideal, but you can't have it 100% life is about compromise. What about.... my liberty to have a nuclear bomb... i don't have that. its not allowed. The law restrict my liberty but i'm glad in that case because i don't think individual should have the right to own weapons of mass destruction.

Similarly when immigration results in a totally fragemented society, whats more important - to cling to the libertarian ideal and let people do whatever they want. or have a safe, productive and unified society. Surely there has to be a compromise somewhere.
Reply 71
Zebedee
No, its a good argument for ceasing immigration. If the ones we have can't integrate then why get anymore?

If the boats sinking, what do you do? first you fix the leak, then you tend to the flooding. Bailing out the water is pointless if the leak is bigger than you can cope with because you will eventually sink.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5290338.stm

I'm actually pleasently surprised, she seems to be issuing harsh words :O to the muslimc community on the issue of faith schools. very surprising.

What an interesting use of a nautical analogy.
Reply 72
Indeed....

Heres another one:

If your driving a bus with 20 seats and at every stop 5 people get on. Then after the 4th stop there will be 20 people on the bus. Whats the best course of action, stop picking people up from the bus stops or try and fit more seats on the bus?

If you try and put more seats on the bus it will get more and more crowded. Your bus may earmy more money per mile travelled but as the number of people on the bus increases the bus starts to get strained... if it keeps going on like this the people at the back of the bus may die from asphyxiation. Too many people on the bus!

But rhe sellfish driver wants more money, so he keep picking people up. "Everyone hop aboard!" Soon the people that got on at the first stop wish they had never got on..

and then one day when just one too many people get on the bus, the bus explodes. body parts fly everywhere. what a messy sight:frown:

In the end the bus company made a loss, the bus was making more money per mile, but what with a exploded bus to repair they just couldn't afford it. They realised that their bus driver, "Mr unsustainable" was a greedy idiot. everyone would have been much better off if he had kept it at 20 people.

lol!
If they really want a stable and unified country then they should not have allowed mass-immigration in the first place, the first thing they should do now is end it.
I think these extremist muslims, are so as they have misinterprated islam.
Im a born muslim (not v.gd muslim), I get along fine with my non-muslim friends...and i like their 'culture' although i've noticed its not all the same not all my friends think...lets get pissed every weekend, although there are some, more like lets go shopping, cinema, talk (about boys and other stuff) eating :smile: (fooooodd)...but i have issues with my family so i don't really get to do stuff with my friends.
I thought intergration is about getting along with people...no matter their religion, where they were born, skin colour etc.
and i think its strange that some muslims go out saying how they hate the uk/boming the uk...yet they are happy live here, and take all privlages...of freedom of speech etc
hellohello12
This thread reminded me of an interview the BBC did with a Muslim youth from Oldham. Despite being a third generation immigrant, he was quite adament that his nationality was Pakistani, despite being born in this country and holding a UK passport!

They tried to interview his mother...only to find out that she couldn't speak english.

An extreme example of the lack of integration in this country I know, but worrying...

I think family background is an important factor...im ashamed to say my dad is one of those non intergrating muslims, the other day i got a 'lecture' of him, about how i'll never be really accepted here, i can never change the colour of my skin, or the fact i wasn't born in this country, so i should just 'get along' with them when i must like in school or work.

So im confused...he's right i can't change who i am, but does that mean people won't really accept me here as an equal although they might pretend to.
Reply 76
Legilimens
I have yet to see a road sign written in Hindi, which incidentally, isn't the language most Muslims use. You mean Urdu, or Arabic? Havent seen any road signs with those languages, either, now i come to think of it. Ignorant statements galore, aren't we?

Go to Brick Lane.
Reply 77
Howard
Why is integration such a big thing anyway? What's so good about it? It doesn't worry me if muslims want to live in isolated pockets throughout the country one bit. On the contrary.

Unfortunately that self-enforced isolation never lasts forever...

Without integration the present population will eventually have to alter their culture and way of life - often drastically. Not to mention the secterian and racial tensions that a lack of integration builds up.
Reply 78
Howard
Is that the reason they choose to segregate themselves though? Could it simply be that they simply prefer not to integrate themselves. It's hardly uncommon - Brits in Spain don't integrate with the Spaniards not because they are unfairly excluded but simply because they prefer their own communities. What's wrong with that?

For the Spanish - plenty... I would hate to see my seaside overrun with fish and chip shops and high rise low quality condos - not to mention the Club 18-30 openning up down the road...
Reply 79
The Green Manalishi
What is YOUR culture? Does Britain have a national dress btw?

Why does it need a national dress.

I simply dont understand this contention that the UK has no culture. Clearly it does - it is whatever the current combination of peoples, morals, etc etc are. Just because someone is not inclined or able to engage in the time ocnsuming process of listing every aspect of the mosaic is not to say that there is no such thing as British culture.

Also, Britain is someone's country once they're born there. If someone's a muslim, and is born in Britain then it's their country too - Yvonne Ridley for example.

That's not really relevant to whether people who have brought in a foreign culture, language and the like should be coaxed into intergrating with mainstream life in the country of their birth.

Latest

Trending

Trending