The Student Room Group

Really dont know wheather to go back to uni and do psychology

I am 27 now found out at uni i had mild dysprixa.

I hate my admin job, had 13 to 14 diffrent jobs.

looked into everything elese and this is the only thing i can find.

I did psychology before dropped out coursework low and wanted to earn money, and thought degree doesn't guarantee good job, regret not going back.

Whats stopping me going?
The cost i will lose over 30k of my own money
what if i fail or get the same job i have now
what relatives will say, who are all gradutes, and looking to get married

In an ideal world i would be a singer but cant sing or work for a touring band, but know thats like winning the lottery
Original post by sim2852
I am 27 now found out at uni i had mild dysprixa.

I hate my admin job, had 13 to 14 diffrent jobs.

looked into everything elese and this is the only thing i can find.

I did psychology before dropped out coursework low and wanted to earn money, and thought degree doesn't guarantee good job, regret not going back.

Whats stopping me going?
The cost i will lose over 30k of my own money
what if i fail or get the same job i have now
what relatives will say, who are all gradutes, and looking to get married

In an ideal world i would be a singer but cant sing or work for a touring band, but know thats like winning the lottery

You could alternatively study with OU whilst you work? It depends what sort of job you are aiming for, if you don't need a degree don't bother?
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
You could alternatively study with OU whilst you work? It depends what sort of job you are aiming for, if you don't need a degree don't bother?

I would like to get into clincal psychology, if I can't do that then reaserch...
I would never do open uni can't study at home, at uni would stay in libary
Original post by sim2852
I would like to get into clincal psychology, if I can't do that then reaserch...

You can get access to most university libraries though, although you cant take books out they will let you in and work there- and you can even use the wifi if the library have eduroam (a sort of universal wifi for universities) which you get access to as an OU student!

Realistically though, both clinical psychology and research are very difficult to get into if your not absolutely motivated and know what your doing, so it isn't realistic to not have a plan B or C once you've graduated.

A stipend for a PhD is going to be lower than most full-time jobs pay (for a PhD you get paid around 16K a year), although obviously it makes you more employable in the long run.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sim2852

Just a heads up. If you want to do clin psy then you will also have to do a masters degree, as well as a 3 year doctorate/phd.
It is also extremely selective; akin to that of studying medicine at undergrad level... so you will need to gain a large amount of clinical experience prior.
All in all, quite expensive and a long journey.
I support what the above posters write. If you want to go down either a clinical psychology or research psychology career path you will need to accrue relevant experience, and prepare for the possibility you may have to do something different. Your degree by itself is unlikely to be enough.

With a broad, non-vocational degree like psychology its more about what the individual does rather than the qualification itself. I graduated from psychology over 10 years ago, and my year has had a range of different careers. Out of 120 of us only 5 or 6 became clinical psychologists and only a couple into research (despite these being what most people were thinking about when we arrived). Far more went into teaching or HR, and quite a few got onto graduate schemes in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest