The Student Room Group
1. Yes.
2. Not necessarily, they might want maths. But maybe. Computing and economics are more "sciencey" subjects... even though they're not so much really... so universities generally want other (related) things than just those subjects. But as I said they're not such heavy sciences really, you'd have to look around uni prospectuses for that. (Having said that, I just looked at Durham and Newcastle prospectuses, and neither said anything specific about maths. But you may find they prefer it or something - phone a few random unis up and ask.)
3. Isn't a degree more what they're looking for? :smile: I don't think any employer will care you did economics instead of German if you end up taking computer science at uni and therefore a computer-related career. The game at A-level is normally "pick what you enjoy because it's probably what you'll end up doing".
Reply 2
so i assume there are some fairly good unis that let you take computing and economics without maths?:confused:
Presumably. I'm guessing they'd prefer maths, but yeah, it says nothing about it. I'll check in a couple more prospectuses for you.
Cambridge want maths for both.
Newcastle don't require maths for economics or computer studies, but if you take economics and computer studies you need maths. :confused:
Imperial want maths for computing (and don't offer economics).
UCL want maths for both.
York say (for economics): "No particular GCSE or A-level subjects are required. However, it is unusual for an applicant without GCSE Mathematics (grade A) to be admitted." For computing, maths A-level (grade A) is required, and physics/chemistry (grade A) are preferred over computing.

And most of these say you need at least a B in English and maths GCSE. I think that settles it really. Maths is more or less required, at least to a good level at GCSE, and in most places as an A-level.

I also wouldn't say computing was necessary at A-level at all. Do physics or something if you want to go for an IT-based course. (Or both, I guess. :p:)
Reply 5
sam101
1) are english and french alright if i want to take law at uni?

Definitely.
2) could i also do computing or economics at uni with this combination?

You would need maths for the better universities. I'm sure you could find places which don't require maths though.
3) is this a respectable combination by employers?

Generally yes (though computing isn't as well respected as the others). Once you've got a degree it won't really matter much anyway. If I was you I'd drop computing for maths, but if you don't like maths then don't take it (though if you want to do computing or economics then you should really enjoy maths or at least be able to put up with doing it).
harr
Definitely.

You would need maths for the better universities. I'm sure you could find places which don't require maths though.

Generally yes (though computing isn't as well respected as the others). Once you've got a degree it won't really matter much anyway. If I was you I'd drop computing for maths, but if you don't like maths then don't take it (though if you want to do computing or economics then you should really enjoy maths or at least be able to put up with doing it).

:ditto: Sums it up really.
Looks good to me! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Rather than start a new thread (which is what i was just about to do :p:), can I just ask the question here instead of wasting space on the forum: what do you all think of this combo for AS: Russian, French, Eng Lang/Lit combined and Economics.

I'm planning on doing French and Russian at a top uni:biggrin:.
Reply 9
no1mohsin
Rather than start a new thread (which is what i was just about to do :p:), can I just ask the question here instead of wasting space on the forum: what do you all think of this combo for AS: Russian, French, Eng Lang/Lit combined and Economics.

I'm planning on doing French and Russian at a top uni:biggrin:.

I think they're really good. Firstly taking both French and Russian for AS puts you in a good position obviously since it's not like you're going to start one of your languages from scratch. And I know that unis like linguists to take English lit/lang with at least one language. Economics is a good contrasting subject which will again help with your essay writing ability. They seem fine to me:smile:

Latest