The Student Room Group

will i die if i do these a-levels

hii!! hope everyone is well. i’m in a bit of a crisis for my a level choices. i want to sort of do two humanities subjects alongside a science and an epq, but i’m… well, i don’t want to die workload wise. i’d consider myself a diligent student, i study well in advance and keep on top of my work.

would taking a level history, english literature and biology be a bad combination? i really love biology and want to keep the psychology path open for me, and some science options as a just in case. i know both history and biology are insane in terms of content load, and while i’ve always coped taking many content heavy subjects at a time, i am worried it will be too much.

if not that combo, these are other combinations i’m considering alongside an epq:

eng lit, history, psych
eng lit, classical civ, biology

please let me know your thoughts!! thank you so much for reading, and take care today <3 :-)
All A level combinations are hard and so it will be challenging, but you can always switch if it’s too hard after a few weeks. Just do some research before and work out how you want to organise your notes and so on, and you’ll put yourself in the best position possible. I did French, English, history epq and I didn’t find it too much at all, even if it was hard.
Original post by widogastings
hii!! hope everyone is well. i’m in a bit of a crisis for my a level choices. i want to sort of do two humanities subjects alongside a science and an epq, but i’m… well, i don’t want to die workload wise. i’d consider myself a diligent student, i study well in advance and keep on top of my work.
would taking a level history, english literature and biology be a bad combination? i really love biology and want to keep the psychology path open for me, and some science options as a just in case. i know both history and biology are insane in terms of content load, and while i’ve always coped taking many content heavy subjects at a time, i am worried it will be too much.
if not that combo, these are other combinations i’m considering alongside an epq:
eng lit, history, psych
please let me know your thoughts!! thank you so much for reading, and take care today <3 :-)
I totally get your concerns about content load - currently in y13 doing history, politics, French and EPQ. Once you get into the swing of studying and revision, the content load isn't as scary or horrifying as it initially seems! As long as you enjoy your subjects and have the passion and determination to do well, you will be fine <3
Original post by erin11
I totally get your concerns about content load - currently in y13 doing history, politics, French and EPQ. Once you get into the swing of studying and revision, the content load isn't as scary or horrifying as it initially seems! As long as you enjoy your subjects and have the passion and determination to do well, you will be fine <3
thank you so much!!! this really did reassure me <33
thank you so much!!! this really did reassure me <33
happy to help <3
Reply 5
eng lit, history, psych
hi! i'm doing history and biology rn and i think that if you really enjoy history and you're good at it then definitely pick it but there's a massive jump from gcse history to a level history in terms of content and workload. For biology, while what you learn is pretty interesting, it's really application based and the mark schemes are way too specific but since you're thinking of doing psych i think it would be a good idea to do biology or another another science.
My brother did history with biology (plus English Lit and Religious Studies). He said the science subject was a good break from writing essays! It's definitely worth having a Plan B as he ended up switching from a history degree to Natural Science (Biology and Earth Science) and couldn't have done that without his Biology A'Level. Biology does involve a lot of content, but if you are good at remembering stuff like historical facts and figures, you'll be able to cope.
eng lit, history, psych

English lit student here - whilst it isn't too work-heavy, you need to be prepared to donate a lot of your time to the subject, whether that be reading the books or completing your cousework...
eng lit, history, psych

Doing a combination of arts, Humanities and sciences can be tough but worth it if you are truly interested in all of them

Quick Reply

Latest