The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry results - Long post, but I really need help!

I took AQA chemistry and got ABB in my AS exams and CCU in my A2 exams. The thing that changed between those years? My teacher. My AS teacher was great but our A2 teacher wasn't - this is basically a rant about everything he did that (in my opinion) is the reason I and almost all of our class did so badly, I need to know if I am right to blame him and see if there's anything I can do now.
1) He didn't even teach us the right stuff. He taught us OCR Salters even though he knew we were on a completely different exam board. I get some of it is the same, but not enough. (He did have all of the AQA resources from our old teacher, he just chose not to use them)
2) Our ISA was a complete mess. When he checked one of my readings on the burette he picked it up and tilted it and then told me I'd read it wrong, very few of us got the mark for reading a burette even though in AS we all got it. He also gave us equipment we had never used before and wouldn't tell us how to use it. He told us the topics we needed to revise 4 days before the written exam part, we were allowed them 7 days before but he forgot to tell us.
3) We NEVER did practicals. I had to learn how to do a redox titration from a book.
4) The PSA. I don't completely understand what this is, all I know is that we were supposed to do 6 experiments which were worth 12 marks in total. We never did any practicals so I really hope they weren't part of my overall grade.
5) When he heard about the complaints we put in, instead of adjusting his 'teaching' style he became a stroppy child and just sat at the front with the face on telling us to read from the book. Part of me also thinks he marked my ISA down because I complained, I really don't understand how I could have got 17 marks for it - I don't want to think that though, that's a big accusation.
I spent around 60% of my time on chemistry revision and we had to teach most of the course ourselves. I really stressed myself out over it as I didn't know any of the stuff in the practice papers because he hadn't taught it. This all meant I neglected my other A Levels and can't get into the uni I wanted. I'm not the only one like this, we're all angry at him and we all did a lot worse than we should have. The girl I sit with went from an A at AS to a C at A2. Is there anything I can do now or is it too late? Were the PSA's important? If you actually read this, thanks :smile:
I read it ...

... what do you want to know?

Read the breakdown of AQA exam mark calculation on the website.

Quick Reply

Latest