The Student Room Group

Learning C3 & C4 side by side?

So in my school, for AS Maths (Edexcel) we had 6 lessons of Maths every weak. We learnt C1, C2 and S1 side by side, so 2 lessons of C1, 2 lessons of C2, and 2 lessons of S1 every weak. This wasn't really a problem, despite C2 building on our knowledge of C1 - we even completed the co-ordinate geometry chapter In C2 before the chapter in C1 (which made the C1 chapter seem very easy when we got to it, as we'd basically covered everything already).

The problem is, we go back to school next week and I'm worried they're going to have the same format for C3 and C4 - learning them side by side. And I've heard A2 is quite a step up from AS, so do you guys think it will work? Or is the knowledge of C3 really important before moving on to C4? Bearing in mind, all the maths teachers are new and have no experience teaching A2.

Do you think we should suggest to the teachers that we just do C3 and M1 side by side and then when C3 has been completed we move onto C4? Our school is usually very slow with the teaching too, which sucks.

Thanks in advanced!
Original post by Kill3er
So in my school, for AS Maths (Edexcel) we had 6 lessons of Maths every weak. We learnt C1, C2 and S1 side by side, so 2 lessons of C1, 2 lessons of C2, and 2 lessons of S1 every weak. This wasn't really a problem, despite C2 building on our knowledge of C1 - we even completed the co-ordinate geometry chapter In C2 before the chapter in C1 (which made the C1 chapter seem very easy when we got to it, as we'd basically covered everything already).

The problem is, we go back to school next week and I'm worried they're going to have the same format for C3 and C4 - learning them side by side. And I've heard A2 is quite a step up from AS, so do you guys think it will work? Or is the knowledge of C3 really important before moving on to C4? Bearing in mind, all the maths teachers are new and have no experience teaching A2.

Do you think we should suggest to the teachers that we just do C3 and M1 side by side and then when C3 has been completed we move onto C4? Our school is usually very slow with the teaching too, which sucks.

Thanks in advanced!

I teach C3 and C4 as a single unit moving between the two as appropriate

However, if you are saying that you have different teachers for the C3 and C4 then this will be difficult unless they have excellent communication
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
I teach C3 and C4 as a single unit moving between the two as appropriate

However, if you are saying that you have different teachers for the C3 and C4 then this will be difficult unless they have excellent communication

Yes, we have 3 teachers and they all teach one module each.
Original post by Kill3er
Yes, we have 3 teachers and they all teach one module each.

Not good, imo

However - as I said - with good communication it could work

There are a couple of sections in C4 that could be done at the start as they have no dependance on the C3 work

Then they can be matched well - in particular it can work well if you are doing the related differentiation (C3) and integration (C4) at the same time
Reply 4
Not good, imo

However - as I said - with good communication it could work

There are a couple of sections in C4 that could be done at the start as they have no dependance on the C3 work

Then they can be matched well - in particular it can work well if you are doing the related differentiation (C3) and integration (C4) at the same time

Thanks! I'll speak to them about it. Although, i'm probably going to be self teaching before lessons anyway so if they say no i can do it in whatever order i like at home :smile:

We usually work through in the order of these books
Original post by Kill3er

We usually work through in the order of these books

Not surprising if they are new
Reply 6
Not surprising if they are new

Not a good book?
Which books do you recommend for Edexcel Maths?

Thanks again.
Original post by Kill3er
Not a good book?
Which books do you recommend for Edexcel Maths?

Thanks again.

The books are fine - it was the "working through the chapters in order" that I was referring too
Reply 8
The books are fine - it was the "working through the chapters in order" that I was referring too

Ah, i see.
Anyway, thanks for all your help.
Appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest