The Student Room Group

There will be no mercy for the Scots

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlbaGuBrath
"From a Scottish perspective, the arrangements of 1707 were somewhat unfair."
"The Act of Union did not establish an equal partnership"
"Direct rule from London and not Edinburgh" - TRG
You certainly wouldn't enter a marriage with those terms would you?
It's been an abusive marriage.

Oh just sod off. Scotland hasn't been abused by anyone and to say otherwise is an insult to those in the world who have endured genuine hardship.

Must be the woad paint you're drinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
Why not?

You can reject Scottish citizenship and still be a Scottish resident.

I don't wish to be a Scottish anything. That is my point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** off then. Do us and all your neighbours a favour!
If there is a Labour government elected in the UK in 2015 the outcome for Scots will be very different from a Tory win, as Labour will wish to govern Scotland again.

I think the Tories will not do Scotland any favours even if they vote no, which is the result I expect.
Original post by Jordooooom
**** off then. Do us and all your neighbours a favour!

I'm not going anywhere hard man. Why not go back to trolling England football fans on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably a stupid question and a good chance someone may need to redirect me to the appropriate thread, but should Scotland gain independence - will SNP disband?
Reply 186
Original post by Midlander

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are already really.

Or are you not a Scottish resident?

I suppose you go to the sheriffs court for jury duty, vote in Scotland only elections, use funny money a lot.

Buy a house and everything goes very Scottish...
I'm still waiting to hear the Yes campaign's plans to deal with the inevitable splitting of Shetlands, Orkney, and maybe even the western isles come a successful bid for independence, let alone parts of Mainland Scotland that will be majority pro British.
Original post by Quady
You are already really.

Or are you not a Scottish resident?

I suppose you go to the sheriffs court for jury duty, vote in Scotland only elections, use funny money a lot.

Buy a house and everything goes very Scottish...

I am a resident in Scotland. How does that make me a Scottish one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Got a question, what are the chances of Scotland being readmitted to the UK if they don't do well?
Original post by Jubz1
Got a question, what are the chances of Scotland being readmitted to the UK if they don't do well?

Depends what state RUK is in. If it's not doing great either I suspect it'd be more likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barnetlad
If there is a Labour government elected in the UK in 2015 the outcome for Scots will be very different from a Tory win, as Labour will wish to govern Scotland again.

I think the Tories will not do Scotland any favours even if they vote no, which is the result I expect.

Actually I think the Tories are far more inclined to devolve power than Labour so long as it doesn't incur a large cost.
Original post by Quady
Thats your thoughts on the agreement.

I asked what you'd have done instead.

Me personally? Well unfortunately it's not up to the people. It's up to the few elite who are power and money hungry to decide on the best interests of themselves. If I had been one of those I would of found ways around it. Probably by not attempting our own empire and shattering the country with debts in the first place. I would change things way back before Scotland was sold into the union.
Me personally? Well unfortunately it's not up to the people. It's up to the few elite who are power and money hungry to decide on the best interests of themselves. If I had been one of those I would of found ways around it. Probably by not attempting our own empire and shattering the country with debts in the first place. I would change things way back before Scotland was sold into the union.

Is being in union with England and Wales really that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194

Its quite idealistic to think you'd have had foresight nobody else had.

There's no guarantee that England would have not invaded Scotland if they ever became troublesome.
Original post by Quady
Its quite idealistic to think you'd have had foresight nobody else had.

Foresight? Common sense was all they needed. You don't need to see into the future to see that after being Enemies and fighting with a country for years and years that when we ask for help they are going to take full advantage of it. They didn't do it for our Benefit.
Foresight? Common sense was all they needed. You don't need to see into the future to see that after being Enemies and fighting with a country for years and years that when we ask for help they are going to take full advantage of it. They didn't do it for our Benefit.

Maybe some of the people on both sides of the border decided it made sense to put past grievances to one side and create a stronger nation than the sum of its parts. History shows that turned out to be the case and Scotland benefitted enormously from being a participant in the colonisation of a third of the world's land.

I know an ignorant bigot like yourself will always cling to the 1300s as a reason to distrust the English of today and even the 1700s but back then both parties saw sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198

I meant the financial collapse you say you'd have avoided.

But if you was to concentrate on the union itself, I'll ask again what you'd have done rather than sign the union agreement.
My husband and I are raising 3 kids (4 including my stepson). We have "disposable income". I have nothing to complain about.

But the thing is this - like many people in Scotland, I have a social conscience. I regularly donate to a local food bank (because I'm lucky enough to be able to). I regularly donate to UNICEF for the same reasons. But it doesn't end there - it REALLY BOTHERS ME that in a country which COULD be the 14th richest in the world that one out of every five children is hungry.

Why is this? Surely it must be because "the poor are with us always" and "there's just not enough to go round". Or maybe "they're lazy scroungers".

No, it's because THEY DON'T MATTER AS MUCH as weapons of mass destruction, as champagne lunches, as shaving ten minutes off a trip from Birmingham to London.

Yes, I could do more - I could give more of our household income to the food bank or to UNICEF. But what would that change? It would change NOTHING. All it would do is legitimise and support a political system which discards people with the wrong birth-line as worthless and second (or third) class.

I won't do this. Instead, what I intend to do is something that no other part of the British Empire has had the luxury of. I intend to cast a peaceful vote to make Scotland a better place for its citizens - a place where everyone is treated equally and fairly regardless of birth.

I might end up paying more tax because of this - that's fine - I'm happy paying more taxes to fund a system where doctors and nurses are paid a decent wage and where the NHS is protected. I might end up in a country with "less influence" than the UK. Well - if you think the UK's track record in Afghanistan and Iraq is something to be proud of, then we're always going to differ.

This is about all of Scotland and 20% of us are NOT fine. 20% of us have little to eat and often have to choose between that and heating. Maybe it's easier because you don't know this 20%. Perhaps you should. Perhaps you should take a walk through Sighthill or Leith or Easterhouse or Govan and see for yourself whether or not the last 300 years has made Scotland "better together".

I'm not "droning on" about independence because I will financially gain from it. I won't. I'm doing it because I believe in a Scotland which looks after its people - all of them - not just the ones in one square mile of the capital.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending