The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

5th year Law applicant

I want to apply for law this year. I am currently in 5th year and sitting my Highers. Is it difficult for S5 applicants to be accepted into (scots) law at University of Glasgow? I was discussing it with some other people and they said since I would be competing with S6 applicants who already have their higher results and have more experience, it would be nearly impossible for me to even get a conditional offer.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I want to apply for law this year. I am currently in 5th year and sitting my Highers. Is it difficult for S5 applicants to be accepted into (scots) law at University of Glasgow? I was discussing it with some other people and they said since I would be competing with S6 applicants who already have their higher results and have more experience, it would be nearly impossible for me to even get a conditional offer.

Hi there,

So I'm a Scots Law student at the Uni. I'd definitely say the majority of people who study the course did the full 6 years - I'm not too sure if there are people that came directly from 5th year. That being said, if your predicted grades and LNAT score are good enough, why not apply? In terms of experience, I do not know many people who actually had work experience in a law firm, plus, there are many other ways of showing your interest for law, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

However, there may be things you'd wish to consider before starting a year younger. Presumably you would be 17 when starting, meaning you would not be able to go on nights out. A few people I know found it a much more isolating and limiting experience as they couldn't partake in experiences that their flatmates could. Also, the course work is ALOT meaning another year of studying would stand you in good stead to manage a higher workload - you don't want to feel at a disadvantage from the get go. However, this is completely dependent upon what university experience you wish to have. If you want to have the full first year party extravaganza - hold off. If you want to jump straight into a course you feel passionate about and are ready for 4 years of hard graft - go for it! The worst they can do is say no and you can always re-apply the next year!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending