The Student Room Group

There will be no mercy for the Scots

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Rakas21
If that were true, why does the SNP want more immigration.

I am not saying there is an overt policy. There is a subtext that must be acknowledged. And neither is "controlled immigration" a call to lose their identity, so really your comment is irrelevant. Scottish identity is trying to replace the British identity that has been severely weakened and besmirched by the left.

There is a lot of unacknowledged angst and resentment in the British public. Things they don't want to see because they have put so much emotional investment into this diversity lie.

Not dissimilar to how the vast majority of supposed liberals (whether white or non-white) wouldn't dream of marrying someone from a different race. Deep down we still have natural human instincts that you cannot overcome.
Reply 301
Original post by Rakas21
If that were true, why does the SNP want more immigration.

In fact, what you acknowledge, is that the mass immigration that has happened in the UK is in fact an attack on our identities. Haha.
Original post by STBUR
In fact, what you acknowledge, is that the mass immigration that has happened in the UK is in fact an attack on our identities. Haha.

I've certainly not lost my identity through mass immigration.

What i make a point of is that Salmond wants even higher immigration than now (not suprising as a Euro-Federalist as recently as 2007).
Reply 303
Original post by Rakas21
I've certainly not lost my identity through mass immigration.

What i make a point of is that Salmond wants even higher immigration than now (not suprising as a Euro-Federalist as recently as 2007).

His immigration stance has nothing to do with the underlying psychological aspects that is driving this yearning for Scottish identity.
will we still be able to move into Scotland and live there without visas or anything though?
Original post by STBUR
His immigration stance has nothing to do with the underlying psychological aspects that is driving this yearning for Scottish identity.

True but if i recall your original point prompting my reply you seemed to be suggesting that an independent Scotland would be a purer, less immigrant filled nation. That's unlikely to be true.
Reply 306
Original post by Rakas21
True but if i recall your original point prompting my reply you seemed to be suggesting that an independent Scotland would be a purer, less immigrant filled nation. That's unlikely to be true.

No, that is not what I meant.

Although any country that has less diversity will be better off.
Original post by STBUR
No, that is not what I meant.

Proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by STBUR

I think this is an important point. Isn't the truth that Westminster politicians have taken diversity as a good in itself regardless of the results of it. When in actual fact, mass immigration has been a disaster for the United Kingdom. We now need to see UKIP immigration policy.

Multiculturalism has been a disaster for the United Kingdom. Little clusters of migrants have formed in certain areas, people have asked for incentives to integrate. No you don't get them, if you are lucky enough to come here you integrate. If you want to be surrounded by people from your own culture then stay in your own country.

On the OPs issue, if they'd have voted Yes I'd have wanted to make it as difficult as possible for them, give them the maximum amount of the debt and the minimum amount of money. But it's all irrelevant now.
Original post by Eboracum
I think this is an important point. Isn't the truth that Westminster politicians have taken diversity as a good in itself regardless of the results of it. When in actual fact, mass immigration has been a disaster for the United Kingdom. We now need to see UKIP immigration policy.

Multiculturalism has been a disaster for the United Kingdom. Little clusters of migrants have formed in certain areas, people have asked for incentives to integrate. No you don't get them, if you are lucky enough to come here you integrate. If you want to be surrounded by people from your own culture then stay in your own country.

On the OPs issue, if they'd have voted Yes I'd have wanted to make it as difficult as possible for them, give them the maximum amount of the debt and the minimum amount of money. But it's all irrelevant now.

Multi-culturalism has been ongoing in Britain for thousands of years-the only difference is that since the war these cultures are of those with different coloured skin. Where I come from in the West Midlands there has been substantial immigration from the sub continent since the 1960s and they are as integrated as anyone else. And the community has benefited enormously from them doing so.
Original post by Midlander
Multi-culturalism has been ongoing in Britain for thousands of years-the only difference is that since the war these cultures are of those with different coloured skin. Where I come from in the West Midlands there has been substantial immigration from the sub continent since the 1960s and they are as integrated as anyone else. And the community has benefited enormously from them doing so.

Sparkhill? A categorical example of the failures of multiculturalism surely? It's like South East Asia in Britain.
Original post by Eboracum
Sparkhill? A categorical example of the failures of multiculturalism surely? It's like South East Asia in Britain.

What's your problem with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well this is a trendy sound-bite, but it does not survive more than a moments careful reflection. Firstly you are conflating multi-multiculturalism with immigration and the two are obvious not the same, in the past integration was essentially total. There are many descendants of huguenots in Norwich, Vikings in York, Irish in Liverpool and Jews in Essex but who are they? Where are the Irish 'community leaders' or any of the nonsense we have today? They blended in, this was natural without some artificial policy of multi-culturalism imposed from the state.

But those 3rd generation Bangladeshis in Tower Hamlets who vote solely along ethnic lines, those muslims with radically different social/political/cultural ideas etc etc are not going to blend into the fabric of the country like the Whitechapel Jews did a century ago. They are perfectly aware that they have much to gain from resisting that, and so here we are. A country in which neighbours in many major cities neither understand, trust or can even stand each other. Fractured down these lines as a consequence of this nonsense.

Of course many groups are well integrated, but this is in spite of the disastrous policy of mass immigration and state multiculti
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well this is a trendy sound-bite, but it does not survive more than a moments careful reflection. Firstly you are conflating multi-multiculturalism with immigration and the two are obvious not the same, in the past integration was essentially total. There are many descendants of huguenots in Norwich, Vikings in York, Irish in Liverpool and Jews in Essex but who are they? Where are the Irish 'community leaders' or any of the nonsense we have today? They blended in, this was natural without some artificial policy of multi-culturalism imposed from the state.

But those 3rd generation Bangladeshis in Tower Hamlets who vote solely along ethnic lines, those muslims with radically different social/political/cultural ideas etc etc are not going to blend into the fabric of the country like the Whitechapel Jews did a century ago. They are perfectly aware that they have much to gain from resisting that, and so here we are. A country in which neighbours in many major cities neither understand, trust or can even stand each other. Fractured down these lines as a consequence of this nonsense.

Of course many groups are well integrated, but this is in spite of the disastrous policy of mass immigration and state multiculti

To me an Asian speaking in a Brummy accent is no different to a white guy speaking in one. I went to school with many and not once did I feel it was forced upon me to be friends with someone of a different colour or creed. The 3rd generation Bangladeshis my family knows in Coventry, a city of 320,000, run a top notch curry house in the city and have always been welcoming people.

I cannot speak for those in other major cities in the country, but in mine they have been a real asset. Which is why I'm sure you will understand me finding what you say not just bemusing but insulting to these people.
What's your problem with it?

The question is not really about whether I have a problem with it or not, it is rather that you mentioned that ethnic minorities coming to the Midlands had integrated well since the 1960s, and I gave an example that would suggest otherwise. There are parts of Birmingham and the wider Midlands that are almost exclusively dominated by migrants. An example of the failure of multiculturalism. Another failure, is how much of their culture has come along with that migration. It wouldn't be unreasonable for certain aspects to be simply "given up" when coming to the United Kingdom, as on a number of issues we do things differently. Having local sharia courts mitigate family disputes however is for me a disaster of multiculturalism, it shouldn't be required.

The liberal elite in Westminster has for 50 years taken diversity as a good in itself regardless of the consequences, and that has been the key problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending