The Student Room Group

trigonometry is giving me grief!

"Find the general solution of the equation sin(x+30)=cosx"

Haven't done maths in about 2 months and I think it may need some new identities that I don't know :/ can anyone help please?

Scroll to see replies

sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)

cheers, I haven't met that before
Reply 3
sinx/cos x= tanx

tan x= sin(30)
Original post by godd
sinx/cos x= tanx

tan x= sin(30)

How did you get to tanx = sin(30) ?
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
How did you get to tanx = sin(30) ?

Badly.
Original post by ImABigOldTurd

Haven't done maths in about 2 months and I think it may need some new identities that I don't know :/ can anyone help please?

Do you know how to solve sinA=sinB\sin A = \sin B? If so, then cosx=sin(90x)\cos x = \sin(90-x) will help you.
I wrote lists of trigonometric formulae and how to internalize them efficiently a long while ago which you might wish to go through:

Trigo Formulae 1

Trigo Formulae 2

Hope they are useful for your revision. Peace.
Reply 8

Rewrite cosx = sin (pi/2-x)

sin(x+30)=sin(π2x)\displaystyle \sin\left (x+30\right ) =\sin \left (\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right )

THen use that when

sinA=sinB\sin A = \sin B

(A and B different angles) then from this follows

either

A=B+2kπ A=B+ 2k\cdot \pi

or

A=πB+2kπA=\pi - B + 2k\cdot \pi

and solve the equations to x

I would say that the simplest version, once you know the sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB
identity, is to use that identity to expand the left hand side then divide by cos x. This will give you an equation of the form tanx = number.
Reply 10
Original post by tiny hobbit
I would say that the simplest version, once you know the sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB identity,

I don't think so

is to use that identity to expand the left hand side then divide by cos x. This will give you an equation of the form tanx = number.

to divide by an unknown value (cos x, that maybe even zero) is critical, you have to
exclude this value. So at the end of solution you have to examine cosx =0

Another method

sin(x+30)=sin(90x)\displaystyle \sin\left (x+30\right )=\sin \left (90-x\right )

that is
x+30=90x+k360\displaystyle x+30=90-x +k\cdot 360

or

x+30=180(90x)+k360\displaystyle x+30=180-(90-x) +k\cdot 360

The solutions come from the first equation

2x=60+k360\displaystyle 2 x=60 +k\cdot 360
x=30+k180\displaystyle x=30 +k\cdot 180
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths
I wrote lists of trigonometric formulae and how to internalize them efficiently a long while ago which you might wish to go through:

Trigo Formulae 1

Trigo Formulae 2

Hope they are useful for your revision. Peace.

That is very very neat thank you. But you really must increase the font sizes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually if you clicked on the individual image, it should enlarge itself accordingly. Peace.
Actually if you clicked on the individual image, it should enlarge itself accordingly. Peace.

It is still v small though.
Perhaps you could try this. I wrote a small set of instructions for those using Firefox and IE browsers:

Viewing Images Correctly

Hopefully it is of some use. Peace.
Peace.

May I ask why you indulge in the affectation of writing 'Peace' at the end of each message?

It isn't a winning catchphrase and is beginning to peace me off.

Nice to see you to see you nice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ztibor

to divide by an unknown value (cos x, that maybe even zero) is critical, you have to

You don't need to check cos x = 0 for this equation since every term contains either sin x or cos x. These cannot both be 0 for the same value of x and so dividing by cos x does not lead to any problems with this pattern of equation.
Original post by tiny hobbit
You don't need to check cos x = 0 for this equation since every term contains either sin x or cos x. These cannot both be 0 for the same value of x and so dividing by cos x does not lead to any problems with this pattern of equation.

That is the check in this question
Original post by TenOfThem
That is the check in this question

True!
Original post by ztibor
I don't think so

Another method

sin(x+30)=sin(90x)\displaystyle \sin\left (x+30\right )=\sin \left (90-x\right )

that is
x+30=90x+k360\displaystyle x+30=90-x +k\cdot 360

or

x+30=180(90x)+k360\displaystyle x+30=180-(90-x) +k\cdot 360

The solutions come from the first equation

2x=60+k360\displaystyle 2 x=60 +k\cdot 360
x=30+k180\displaystyle x=30 +k\cdot 180

I'm pleased you remembered to include the +360k+360k. I stupidly forgot about that when I initially tackled a similar problem awhile back :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest