The Student Room Group

A level subject choices

Hello,
Could someone give me an insight to what A level physics and a level maths is like xx
- a Yr10
For the maths, quite a bit harder than GCSE, and you would just need to work steadily on it from year 12 onwards, ideally you will have good grades at GCSE (e.g. 7-9) but well worth it in terms of university and career options that are possible. The Pearson edexcel textbooks do a step by step approach, with easier worked examples first, so worth taking a peek even on the online version. I have a website - fluentinmaths.com - and in the study area I put some quizzes in algebra, calculus, trigonometry etc which are for people who have studied year 12 but they are 'foundation'/basics for a-level standard. If you take a look you will see what is a good foundation at year 12 but of course, you will not have studied much of it yet, maybe look at the algebra. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Just another question for you. How deep does a level goes in statistics and mechanics? My maths is quite good but these two areas I'm not too confident with.
Original post by Trickia
Thank you :smile:
Just another question for you. How deep does a level goes in statistics and mechanics? My maths is quite good but these two areas I'm not too confident with.

It goes relatively deep, as in you wouldn't have come across that kind of stats and mechs before. I will say that the questions are so so repetitive in applied. In single maths, you don't really go deep enough to make harder questions using stats and mechs. The hardest stats and mechs are hard because they require harder pure maths. E.g say there was a question with projectiles, the mechanics can only be so hard so they might require you to differentiate/integrate etc
I would say that little and often is the way to go with maths! you cant cram it so just do 1/2 a week every week and you'll be fine!
Reply 4
okay thank you!
I'm just looking for a levels to do a science related degree.

Quick Reply

Latest