The Student Room Group

Is it OK to revise using ONLY questions/past papers?

I find any other revision (mind maps, revision cards, notes) doesn't work for me. My idea is to simply do questions and past papers, mark it, and if there's a question I didn't do well in, look in the revision guide (maybe make a few notes) then try again. I would also refer to the syllabus and make sure that I don't get caught out by a topic that wasn't covered in any of the questions.

Would this be a good method of revising?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jor64
I find any other revision (mind maps, revision cards, notes) doesn't work for me. My idea is to simply do questions and past papers, mark it, and if there's a question I didn't do well in, look in the revision guide (maybe make a few notes) then try again. I would also refer to the syllabus and make sure that I don't get caught out by a topic that wasn't covered in any of the questions.

Well yes, if it works for you then of course it is.
Original post by Jor64

It's one of the best ways of revising. Not sure I would say it should be the only way to revise... but from experience if I could only do one thing it would actually be this.
Reply 3
No
My teacher said you're a FOOL if you do your revision with past papers
Past papers should be used for practice and consolidation, you don't learn from the questions do you, you learn the content from the textbooks etc then apply that knowledge in the questions

you've got to get the content down first
Original post by Jor64

If that method is getting you good marks in past papers, sure. That's pretty much what I did in my A Levels (and GCSEs to some extent).

This works better for sciences I think.
Original post by z33
NoMy teacher said you're a FOOL if you do your revision with past papersPast papers should be used for practice and consolidation, you don't learn from the questions do you, you learn the content from the textbooks etc then apply that knowledge in the questionsyou've got to get the content down first

Well... It got me some pretty good results. If you've got a good memory and you understand most of the syllabus then I think only using past papers is a strategy that can work very well, at least for sciences.
In all the papers I only revised with past papers I got an A* with at GCSE, in the ones which I used notes for the most part I got an A.. But a) obviously might not be cause + effect b) Z33 is right c) it depends on how you learn things. I'm different to you
Its OK but I wouldn't recommend it.

What you do depends on the subject a lot.

For maths, I did every single exercise in the books and made an Excel document with a log of all the ones I had completed with some notes that I can look at and refer to in months time. I also plan on doing all of the available past papers.

For sciences such as physics, I made revision notes and used examiner reports and three different physics textbooks to make these notes. I will then do all past papers and some online question banks.
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
Well... It got me some pretty good results. If you've got a good memory and you understand most of the syllabus then I think only using past papers is a strategy that can work very well, at least for sciences.

Really? I do all sciences and it's never worked for me X'D
i just cant answer anything if i dont know the content properly unless it's a question that's been asked a million times before so I know exactly what the marks are given for but I'd still not understand it properly enough to answer other questions on it

and my memory is ****e
I would recommend this:

First, start off by looking at the specification/syllabus. This tells you everything that may be included in the exam - anything here can be in your exam. Once you have an idea of what topics are in your exam, next:

Look for revision guides that are perhaps specific to your specification/syllabus. This is the lengthy part. After you have found the revision guide, then you start making notes. Not mindmaps or flash cards... Notes. So if you are doing maths for example and in the spec it says revise trigonometry, you look in your revision guide for the trigonometry section and you make notes on all the aspects of trigonometry: sin(angle in degrees or radians), how to do a sine graph, how to work out side of a right-angled triangle etc. Make sure you understand why we do this. Don't hesitate to include some sample questions in there if you have a lengthy topic and you want to demonstrate what you are doing.

Once you have done that, congratz. You have now created your very own revision guide. Now, everything should be stuck in your mind. Since you wrote everything down and you understand it, you should have it stuck to your head.

NOW, do past papers to understand how to answer the questions according to how the examiner wants them to look like. Oh and by the way, the first time you do past papers, make sure you have the mark scheme at hand. Sure, attempt the question but as soon as you feel stuck look at the mark scheme. Then after 1 or 2 past papers, start doing past papers without mark schemes and just practice until exams.

Also, dont forget a week or day before the exam, look back on your revision guide and go over some topics again because maybe some topics didnt come up in the practice past papers you was doing (if you did them all, they should).

Reply 9
to some extent, yes, but you'll find you get through the papers faster and then run out. I guess you could just use papers for GCSEs but for any higher study, you're going to need more than questions.
know your content before you attempt questions, because then you can find gaps in your knowledge when you answer a question wrong. Otherwise you'll just be doing the same question over and over again and getting it right bc you've done the question before..
No. There is a shortage of exam papers so it should be only used to practise your skills. Master the content first then do practice papers, get a teacher to mark it and give you feedback. I jumped from a predicted exam result of a C to an A in Computing with this method.
Original post by Jor64

For GCSE's thats how I got my A*'s
but unfortunately at Alevel I realised that isn't enough and you really need to know your subject inside out as no amount of past paper questions will ever fully prepare you.
Reply 12
Original post by as421
to some extent, yes, but you'll find you get through the papers faster and then run out. I guess you could just use papers for GCSEs but for any higher study, you're going to need more than questions.
know your content before you attempt questions, because then you can find gaps in your knowledge when you answer a question wrong. Otherwise you'll just be doing the same question over and over again and getting it right bc you've done the question before..

That's true. I could get someone else to mark the paper for me, though there are advantages to marking your own paper.
Reply 13
Original post by Jor64
That's true. I could get someone else to mark the paper for me, though there are advantages to marking your own paper.

Im sure you have enough time to get to grips with the content though?
Reply 14
Original post by as421
Im sure you have enough time to get to grips with the content though?

Fair point.
Yes keep on doing what you're doing if it helps! Don't listen to other people who are telling you to do mind maps etc if they don't work, because if they don't work now - well they never will (they don't work for me either!)
I'm doing exactly the same atm and I'm on track to getting A's and A*'s so it's working!
Just do whatever you find works.
If it works for you then do it. But make sure you know everything you need to know by looking at the specification first. This method probably works the best for maths and English as these subjects don't require you to memorise much information.
Original post by qtsilver9
For GCSE's thats how I got my A*'s
but unfortunately at Alevel I realised that isn't enough and you really need to know your subject inside out as no amount of past paper questions will ever fully prepare you.

Do you feel as if you don't the subjects that you only did exam questions for in your exam well?
Original post by Student403
In all the papers I only revised with past papers I got an A* with at GCSE, in the ones which I used notes for the most part I got an A.. But a) obviously might not be cause + effect b) Z33 is right c) it depends on how you learn things. I'm different to you

Did you do only past papers for science?
Original post by BrianMcEgg
No. There is a shortage of exam papers so it should be only used to practise your skills. Master the content first then do practice papers, get a teacher to mark it and give you feedback. I jumped from a predicted exam result of a C to an A in Computing with this method.

How did you master the content?

Quick Reply

Latest