The Student Room Group

Msc Economics VS Msc Applied Economics

I'm chosing between those two courses at Nottingham.

Which one is better?
What are the advantages of each course?
I can't really tell the difference.

Original post by eugeniosp

Which one is better?

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Reply 2

Which one is better?

The first question is- What do you intend to do after your MSc? Why are you doing one?
Reply 3
Original post by .ACS.
The first question is- What do you intend to do after your MSc? Why are you doing one?

Thank you so much for your answer!

I told you on the other post my plans. But I would like to know the differences on the courses themselves..
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your answer!

I told you on the other post my plans. But I would like to know the differences on the courses themselves..

Ah okay, I did not check to see it was you who started the other thread!

Here I'll respond to, if given Nottingham, whether to opt for MSc Economics or MSc Applied Economics.

Broadly speaking, the Applied Economics course is less mathematically rigorous and more policy orientated. You don't cover econometric theory in the traditional sense. All the econometrics content is more applied, and there is a bigger focus on analysis of data. Equally, the macro and micro modules are more applied and and include case studies, etc.

If you want to do a PhD, you have to do the MSc Economics course. You won't gain the necessary mathematical grounding in the MSc Applied Economics course.

The MSc Applied Economics course might be more applicable if you want to go into policy orientated work, work for the government, think tanks, etc.

Broadly speaking, however, I'd also opt for the MSc Economics based on the fact you aren't closing any doors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending