The Student Room Group

How do you decide who you give Christmas presents to?

Okay, so you obviously give your mum, dad, best friend and other friends presents.
Then you have your grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins etc.
My dad has told me not to spend a lot on my grandma and grandpa. I have found something that I want to get them which comes up to over £20 and he says it's too much but it's my money and that's what I want to get them.
Then my mum said I can spend £15 on my grandma (her mum) as I have found a present she will like for this amount. If she is okay with it then why isn't my dad?
I'm going to get my auntie and uncle these cute Christmas chocolates that they can share as I probably won't see them but want them to know that I thought of them :smile:
My mum has told me not to get my cousins anything but I have recently started talking to and spending time with the one that is just a few months older than me and want to at least get her something but then I'll feel bad if I don't get her brother anything even though we don't talk so I was thinking I'll just give him one if those Lynks sets or something they sell at Christmas. My mum doesn't want me to get them anything because she says they won't get me anything. I don't get people gifts just so I can get something in return though... I do it because it's a nice thing to do...
Then I have a couple of people that I was pretty close to in high school but now I don't see as much but I do still talk to them sometimes. They haven't given me presents for my birthday this year or Christmas last year so again, my mum doesn't think I should get them anything...
But what if they do get me something? I am thinking of just spending £5-£10 on these people so that I can still get them something but my mum won't be annoyed that I'm 'wasting my money' on them.
Reply 1
It's refreshing to see someone who is genuinely nice and not motivated by sycophantic motives. It's your money at the end of the day and you can do whatever you want with it regardless of what your mum says but I do think she has a point about your friends especially since they didn't bother last year. A christmas card will suffice for them imo. As for your grand parents and your cousins they're your family and I think it's nice that you don't want to leave anyone out.

Personally I get presents for my closest friends and they do the same we still make an effort even though we don't live in the same cities due to university. As for my family it's just me my dad, mum and brother. :biggrin:

Edit:

Isn't it a bit early to be Christmas shopping? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Armin.
It's refreshing to see someone who is genuinely nice and not motivated by sycophantic motives. It's your money at the end of the day and you can do whatever you want with it regardless of what your mum says but I do think she has a point about your friends especially since they didn't bother last year. A christmas card will suffice for them imo. As for your grand parents and your cousins they're your family and I think it's nice that you don't want to leave anyone out.

Personally I get presents for my closest friends and they do the same we still make an effort even though we don't live in the same cities due to university. As for my family it's just me my dad, mum and brother. :biggrin:

Edit:

Isn't it a bit early to be Christmas shopping? :lol:

I just dont think just don't think it's right if you buy someone a gift with the only reason being that you expect something in return. It's not really a gift then because you feel like it's something you have to do (although, if someone gets me something I will get them something if I still have time or I'll feel bad D:smile: and that kind if takes the meaning away a little bit.

I kind of know that she does but at the same time I still want to :biggrin:

I think half of the people I know think I'm crazy for starting this early but excited haha :biggrin: plus I'm going to have money in a few days so I think it's a lot better that I'm prepared :biggrin:
You buy presents for your close family and pints for your friends. Easy enough?
My nephew is literally the only person on my list. And me. Do I count? My nephew and I are the only people on my list! :biggrin:

Christmas is one of the best parts of being a British Asian. Your family and Asian friends don't celebrate so they don't think twice if you don't get them presents. :tongue: Well, some families celebrate (mine used to, and sometimes still do when we're bothered) but they're really rare. My nephew is my favourite person in the world so Christmas gives me the perfect excuse to go wild and spoil the kid like crazy. :teeth:
Christmas is so bloody expensive. Really though, I see what your mum means, but you can buy Christmas presents for whoever you like really.

I spend a lot on my husband and kids. Well, mostly the kids of course, but hubby doesn't go short. Having said that, we share a bank account, so my present comes out of the money we have as well.

Then we spend about £20 on each of our parents.

Then we spend about £2-£5 on every other family member, which includes :

hubby's 3 siblings and their spouses
hubby's 8 nieces and nephews
this year there's also a great nephew so I guess there'll be one for him
2 of my uncles
2 of my aunts
my step-mother
my 2 cousins in the UK
and we also send a box of chocolates and cereal to one of my cousins in France and his girlfriend.

That's it for the people we buy for. Oh and the dog, we buy a present for our dog lol
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
You buy presents for your close family and pints for your friends. Easy enough?

No :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Vixen47
My nephew is literally the only person on my list. And me. Do I count? My nephew and I are the only people on my list! :biggrin:

Christmas is one of the best parts of being a British Asian. Your family and Asian friends don't celebrate so they don't think twice if you don't get them presents. :tongue: Well, some families celebrate (mine used to, and sometimes still do when we're bothered) but they're really rare. My nephew is my favourite person in the world so Christmas gives me the perfect excuse to go wild and spoil the kid like crazy. :teeth:

Aww :smile: that's really cute!!
Close family only. Thankfully there aren't many of them either.
Reply 9
Original post by ryan9900
Close family only. Thankfully there aren't many of them either.

You don't get presents for your friends??
Original post by LillyLisaa
You don't get presents for your friends??

Nope.
I don't buy Christmas presents.
Original post by kittykatxoxo
I don't buy Christmas presents.

Why? :redface:
Original post by LillyLisaa
Why? :redface:

Because it is pointless and costly. Plus I am not materialistic.
Reply 14
I just buy them for my close family and maybe make some presents for family friends. When I had close friends I used to buy them a little present too :smile:
I generally don't buy presents.
I base it on how much money I have but I do my best to get everyone something, i.e family, friends, maybe colleagues, depends how I am feeling.

Buuttttt it's not even Halloween yet!

You can do what you want with your money :smile:
You seem really nice! Will you get me a Christmas present? :smile:
Reply 18
Family. That's it. I prefer giving friends birthday presents rather than Christmas. It's more heartfelt.

Quick Reply

Latest