The Student Room Group

Liverpool vet med interview

I got a zoom interview for vet med at Liverpool, I’ve never done an interview before. Does anyone have any tips/ways to present yourself/talk/what they like students to be like?
Any help would be amazing !

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry too much about how to present yourself as they will almost do that for you as you're going to have to provide proof of I.d etc.
Just make sure you know your p.s inside out and can talk extensively on things you have mentioned. Go through the websites of the schools you have applied to and make sure you know what makes Liverpool different to say Bristol, Nottingham or Surrey. Is it case based learning, modular or spiral in its teaching methods. Why do you feel Liverpool would be a good fit for you?
Then go through basic questions that may come up. It's a bit boring but bovine tb and badger culling are common questions. Where do you stand on that?? There are no right or wrong answers but you should know the basics and be able to express an opinion. Same thing for dog breeding standards with its associated problems, and why not Brexit and the associated problems with animal health legislation. Look at other topics that are specific to your interests. If they give you time to ask a question yourself, make sure the answer isn't on their website.
For the rest, just be yourself. They are not there to eat you alive, just to find out what makes you tick and how you approach a problem that you might not have come across in the past. So don't be afraid to say that you are not sure about something, but say that on the basis of what you have already seen or studied you would hazard a guess at.......
Good luck! You'll do fine!
Original post by Nobody2u
Don't worry too much about how to present yourself as they will almost do that for you as you're going to have to provide proof of I.d etc.
Just make sure you know your p.s inside out and can talk extensively on things you have mentioned. Go through the websites of the schools you have applied to and make sure you know what makes Liverpool different to say Bristol, Nottingham or Surrey. Is it case based learning, modular or spiral in its teaching methods. Why do you feel Liverpool would be a good fit for you?
Then go through basic questions that may come up. It's a bit boring but bovine tb and badger culling are common questions. Where do you stand on that?? There are no right or wrong answers but you should know the basics and be able to express an opinion. Same thing for dog breeding standards with its associated problems, and why not Brexit and the associated problems with animal health legislation. Look at other topics that are specific to your interests. If they give you time to ask a question yourself, make sure the answer isn't on their website.
For the rest, just be yourself. They are not there to eat you alive, just to find out what makes you tick and how you approach a problem that you might not have come across in the past. So don't be afraid to say that you are not sure about something, but say that on the basis of what you have already seen or studied you would hazard a guess at.......
Good luck! You'll do fine!

Oh okay thank you so much ! What do you mean by proof of ID?
Anything that proves who you are, a passport or driving license.
Original post by Nobody2u
Anything that proves who you are, a passport or driving license.

Okay I didn’t know that! Thanks a lot
I applied pre-covid so was an inperson interview but the principles are the same. They aren't expecting you to have the knowledge of a vet! That would be a waste of time you applying if you already knew. They want someone with the qualities of a good vet - so brainstorm what those are and think of examples of how you demonstrate them. And if asked an opinion don't be afraid to give it! So long as you can consider alternate points of view there is NO harm in knowing what you think.
I have been given an interview too! I have mine on the 18th, feeling pretty unprepared for it, but have a mock interview on the next few days. When is yours?
Original post by titch_mcr
I have been given an interview too! I have mine on the 18th, feeling pretty unprepared for it, but have a mock interview on the next few days. When is yours?

I have an interview on the 23rd. Who are you doing your mock interview with?
oh wow you've already received interviews?
Original post by Lauryn2309
I have an interview on the 23rd. Who are you doing your mock interview with?

I’ve just ask my biology teacher if he could do it with me, and we arranged to do a mock this Friday. How are you preparing?
Original post by titch_mcr
I’ve just ask my biology teacher if he could do it with me, and we arranged to do a mock this Friday. How are you preparing?

Oh I’m not actually sure. He has just asked for my personal statement and I also sent him my work experience form. I’m sure he’s just going to be asking me about why I want to be a vet, and other questions similar to that, questioning my personal statement and asking me to expand on my experiences I have put in there, personal attributes, common controversial topic. Not sure what else.
Original post by lunariumxo
oh wow you've already received interviews?

I received it last week I think and it gave me a few options for booking dates. Think they are taking place from November - December
I've heard from Edinburgh but nothing from Liverpool yet, but I suppose no news is good news?
Original post by scarlettmxmx
I got a zoom interview for vet med at Liverpool, I’ve never done an interview before. Does anyone have any tips/ways to present yourself/talk/what they like students to be like?

I’ve just received my invite to interview at Liverpool too!! Good luck, you’ll do great!!
Original post by isabelle_law
I’ve just received my invite to interview at Liverpool too!! Good luck, you’ll do great!!

Thank you!! Good luck to you too xx

GUYSSS!!! The interview is tomorrow morning and I can’t do drug dose calculations, in case they ask us does anyone know a simple way to do them?
GUYSSS!!! The interview is tomorrow morning and I can’t do drug dose calculations, in case they ask us does anyone know a simple way to do them?

Drugs will have a dose rate (often a range e.g. 0.2-0.4mg/kg) and a concentration (e.g. 1mg/ml)
So if you had a 20kg dog and decided to go down the lower end of the dose range - it os 0.2mg/kg and the dog weighs 20kg so 0.2x20
That gives you how many mg the dog needs
But your drug contains 1mg per ml, so how many ml do you need? - the dose required is 4mg and each ml contains 1mg so 4ml

The same applies for tablets except swap the ml out for more appropriate units.
Original post by catrinelh
I've heard from Edinburgh but nothing from Liverpool yet, but I suppose no news is good news?

what have you heard from edinburgh? :smile:
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Drugs will have a dose rate (often a range e.g. 0.2-0.4mg/kg) and a concentration (e.g. 1mg/ml)

So if you had a 20kg dog and decided to go down the lower end of the dose range - it os 0.2mg/kg and the dog weighs 20kg so 0.2x20
That gives you how many mg the dog needs
But your drug contains 1mg per ml, so how many ml do you need? - the dose required is 4mg and each ml contains 1mg so 4ml

The same applies for tablets except swap the ml out for more appropriate units.

Thank you so much , life saver
Original post by ohbezzer
what have you heard from edinburgh? :smile:

I’ve got an interview at the beginning of December, Liverpool replied to me on Monday for an interview on the 29th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending