The Student Room Group

Baby scan at 9 weeks

My girlfriend is pregnant with our first baby, and we agreed not to tell anyone who knows us (friends or family) until we got to the 12 week scan and was told everything was fine. However, I am a worrier by nature so we decided to pay to have a reassurance scan carried out and when we had it done we were told my girlfriend was 9 weeks and 5 days pregnant at the time.

At the scan we were able to see details such as the babies head, arms and legs but most importantly we could see the babies heartbeat.

I know this is possibly a morbid thought but what are the chances of something going wrong from this point onwards? I have read that once you have seen the babies heartbeat the chances of anything bad happening drop dramatically.
Reply 1
You should speak to a medical professional about this, rather than ask questions on what is essentially a teen chat forum.

Wishing you all the best!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend is pregnant with our first baby, and we agreed not to tell anyone who knows us (friends or family) until we got to the 12 week scan and was told everything was fine. However, I am a worrier by nature so we decided to pay to have a reassurance scan carried out and when we had it done we were told my girlfriend was 9 weeks and 5 days pregnant at the time.

At the scan we were able to see details such as the babies head, arms and legs but most importantly we could see the babies heartbeat.

I know this is possibly a morbid thought but what are the chances of something going wrong from this point onwards? I have read that once you have seen the babies heartbeat the chances of anything bad happening drop dramatically.

Naturally of course it can be a bit scary in the beginning, but if your scan is coming up that everything is all good and baby is healthy, then thats a great sign. If you still want to wait until 12 weeks to tell everyone, thats fine. Congratulations to you both :smile:
@Tracey_W may have some advice for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there
Congrats on the news about your baby.

I wouldn't be keeping it a secret from anyone as soon as I knew I was pregnant as you want to share the good news to your family and friends but I wouldn't tell them what sex the baby is until it arrived in the world.

You won't know what sex it is until the scan at a later date when there's a more clearer picture.

Now you want to know about what the chance's of something going wrong - unfortunately this is really unpredictable as nobody can actually tell you this ( not even your GP or practice midwife) , the best thing to do is keep healthy and eat and drink fluids throughout and hopefully after nine months yous will be holding a baby in your hands.

Just make sure yous are attending your appointments with your practice midwife and she'll keep a close eye on things and if there's any medical issues with the mother then the practice midwife will/ should keep a even more closer eyes on throughout the pregnancy.

In the meantime don't worry about things going wrong as just stay positive and look forward to bringing your baby into the world around late May or early June next year.

A NHS midwife.
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi there
Congrats on the news about your baby.

I wouldn't be keeping it a secret from anyone as soon as I knew I was pregnant as you want to share the good news to your family and friends but I wouldn't tell them what sex the baby is until it arrived in the world.

You won't know what sex it is until the scan at a later date when there's a more clearer picture.

Now you want to know about what the chance's of something going wrong - unfortunately this is really unpredictable as nobody can actually tell you this ( not even your GP or practice midwife) , the best thing to do is keep healthy and eat and drink fluids throughout and hopefully after nine months yous will be holding a baby in your hands.

Just make sure yous are attending your appointments with your practice midwife and she'll keep a close eye on things and if there's any medical issues with the mother then the practice midwife will/ should keep a even more closer eyes on throughout the pregnancy.

In the meantime don't worry about things going wrong as just stay positive and look forward to bringing your baby into the world around late May or early June next year.

A NHS midwife.

I was about 4 weeks pregnant and i just 'knew'. I had this weird feeling and I took a test on Christmas eve. Great christmas telling everyone on christmas day lol . Second one, not a scooby do I was like hmm its been a while and turns out I was already 11 weeks gone. All we can do is keep as healthy as we can, although I did have a craving for tunnocks teacakes in the 3rd trimester and I could eat a whole pack of 6 in one sitting lol
Original post by Anonymous #1

Try to keep your mind on the present even though the welfare of your unborn child is of your utmost concern. I think if you can prepare to be a father that'll keep your mind busy from fretting about morbid outcomes. I sincerely hope your journey to fatherhood is fruitful and joyful.
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostlady
I was about 4 weeks pregnant and i just 'knew'. I had this weird feeling and I took a test on Christmas eve. Great christmas telling everyone on christmas day lol . Second one, not a scooby do I was like hmm its been a while and turns out I was already 11 weeks gone. All we can do is keep as healthy as we can, although I did have a craving for tunnocks teacakes in the 3rd trimester and I could eat a whole pack of 6 in one sitting lol

Yes some people do get the feeling about being pregnant after few weeks or so but after four weeks you'll notice that you might not had any periods, sign you may have been pregnant but no periods don't always mean you can be pregnant as you can get late period as well.....

You would have been happy seeing a positive test and what a great Xmas present to give your partner and then announce it to your family and friends on Christmas day.

Your second one you are correct about not a scooby but just remember that if you not had any periods for that amount of time then obviously there was something wrong 😞 but you turned out being pregnant again. Its not unusual not realising you are pregnant until you land up having severe pains in your stomach and going to A&E about it or your GP to be told you about to have a baby...... ( With that amount of time not having any periods I would have definitely be seeing a GP rather ignoring it).

Hopefully everything turned out fine for you.

Yes I agree with the cravings you had and you get worse with the cravings as time goes on. Nothing wrong with the tunnocks teacakes as I can easily eat packets of them.

So hopefully the baby is doing well and you didn't have any issues throughout your pregnancy and was looked after by the midwife team at home and when you went into hospital.
Reply 8
Original post by Tracey_W
Yes some people do get the feeling about being pregnant after few weeks or so but after four weeks you'll notice that you might not had any periods, sign you may have been pregnant but no periods don't always mean you can be pregnant as you can get late period as well.....

You would have been happy seeing a positive test and what a great Xmas present to give your partner and then announce it to your family and friends on Christmas day.

Your second one you are correct about not a scooby but just remember that if you not had any periods for that amount of time then obviously there was something wrong 😞 but you turned out being pregnant again. Its not unusual not realising you are pregnant until you land up having severe pains in your stomach and going to A&E about it or your GP to be told you about to have a baby...... ( With that amount of time not having any periods I would have definitely be seeing a GP rather ignoring it).

Hopefully everything turned out fine for you.

Yes I agree with the cravings you had and you get worse with the cravings as time goes on. Nothing wrong with the tunnocks teacakes as I can easily eat packets of them.

So hopefully the baby is doing well and you didn't have any issues throughout your pregnancy and was looked after by the midwife team at home and when you went into hospital.

First baby period was about to be due but it was weird, I knew I wasn't going to have one. And im not in any way psychic lol. Second baby was ICP which can occur in late pregnancy. Its not as drastic as it was 18 years ago when no treatments were available, but now you have things like Urso which helps loads and thats all thanks to consultants and medicine advances.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest