The Student Room Group

Are my A levels good enough for medicine

Hey, so at uni I'm hoping to study medicine, but are my a levels suitable enough.

Biology
Chemistry
English literature
Geography

I was doing maths but I'm not particularly enjoying it. However, I will go through with it if it's most recommended.

Thanks
Reply 1
They're fine. Maths or physics is not needed for any medical school except Cambridge. You have the required chemistry and biology, along with two respected, traditional arts subjects. You have nothing to worry about.
Reply 2
Original post by jake4198
Hey, so at uni I'm hoping to study medicine, but are my a levels suitable enough.

Biology
Chemistry
English literature
Geography

I was doing maths but I'm not particularly enjoying it. However, I will go through with it if it's most recommended.

Thanks

Most universities will want you to have at least one other science/mathematics subject. The biology and especially the chemistry is vital, yes. But having maths (or physics) would be a better choice for you.I would surely keep the maths. At least for AS. :smile: It can only be beneficial... for UKCAT/BMAT for example. :smile:

Biology
Chemistry
English literature
Geography

Thanks

That should be fine with those! Don't quote me on this, but don't think you need Maths and there's not point doing it if you don't like it :smile:
Think Biology and Chemistry are the important ones as they are the ones Medical schools usually ask for!
You can always check on UCAS though, or the uni's websites and see which subjects they ask for too :biggrin:

Biology
Chemistry
English literature
Geography

Thanks

They're completely fine :yy:

No need at all to do Maths if you don't want to.
Reply 5
Original post by Ucki
Most universities will want you to have at least one other science/mathematics subject. The biology and especially the chemistry is vital, yes. But having maths (or physics) would be a better choice for you.I would surely keep the maths. At least for AS. :smile: It can only be beneficial... for UKCAT/BMAT for example. :smile:

No they really don't; where have you got this from? There is no university in the whole country which asks for A-level maths or physics except Cambridge, and no other univesity lists another science/maths subject as preferred. UCL actually gives people with a contrasting arts subject a slight preference opposed to people with all science/maths subjects. The UKCAT/BMAT maths and physics questions are all at GCSE level.

This is the list of requirementrs for all medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Bluecord
No they really don't; where have you got this from? There is no university in the whole country which asks for A-level maths or physics except Cambridge, and no other univesity lists another science/maths subject as preferred. UCL actually gives people with a contrasting arts subject a slight preference opposed to people with all science/maths subjects. The UKCAT/BMAT maths and physics questions are all at GCSE level.

This is the list of requirementrs for all medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I'm pretty sure I have seen some universities requiring "Chemistry at A2 and biology at AS level plus one other science subject". But never mind. This is rare.
As for the UKCAT/BMAT... yes, GCSE is sufficient but who knows you won't forget how to do such or such type of exercise if you don't do maths for such a long time. I don't want to get him a bad advice... if he's unsure of maths, he better think of it again. Wouldn't say a word if he hated it. :biggrin: You get me? :P
Reply 7
Original post by Ucki
I'm pretty sure I have seen some universities requiring "Chemistry at A2 and biology at AS level plus one other science subject". But never mind. This is rare.
As for the UKCAT/BMAT... yes, GCSE is sufficient but who knows you won't forget how to do such or such type of exercise if you don't do maths for such a long time. I don't want to get him a bad advice... if he's unsure of maths, he better think of it again. Wouldn't say a word if he hated it. :biggrin: You get me? :P

Well as the link I provided covers all entry requirements for all universities and is extremely current, you are mistaken. Anybody going for medicine should have a good grasp of GCSE maths and physics anyway, and aren't likely to forget everything they've learned previously. They can just revise the GCSE maths and physics content for the UKCAT/BMAT, no need to take the A-level at all.
Reply 8
Do maths. It's the best subject for all scientific courses and, of course, medicine. Also, it is easier to get full or very high UMS because it's unlikely that you'll stumble into something very unusual on your exam, whereas this happens all the time with chemistry and bio.

Quick Reply

Latest