The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Aru biomed transfer to med

hey guys, i got a biomed offer instead of medicine from ARU and was wondering if it was worth transferring after the 1st year and how competitive and hard it is to actually get the medicine offer. the website is very vague and my gsce were alright, a levels not that great. i dont know it i should go ahead with biomed or take a gap year.
Generally biomedical sciences to medicine internal transfer schemes are ferociously competitive - think 200 students on the BMS degree all aiming for 1-5 places on the medicine course. You would generally need to be in the top 10 (not %, the number) of your cohort to be competitive, and they require you meet all the normal requirements for the course anyway (so you would still need to meet the A-level, GCSE, UCAT etc requirements).

It's almost always better to take a gap year and if needed resit exams if you are focused on pursuing medicine still, as your odds are generally going to be better that way, as you have 4 choices instead of one and are in open competition for all spaces on the course (rather than just a couple).
(edited 8 months ago)
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ruerue5
hey guys, i got a biomed offer instead of medicine from ARU and was wondering if it was worth transferring after the 1st year and how competitive and hard it is to actually get the medicine offer. the website is very vague and my gsce were alright, a levels not that great. i dont know it i should go ahead with biomed or take a gap year.

Simple answer take a gap and year and reapply. No point doing something simply in the hope you get on medicine. I think you still need same requirements for A levels etc, dont believe they are any more lenient than the normal process of direct entry.

Good luck,

Greg
If you are intending to do medicine - fully intending - do not take the biomedicine course. It will close at least as many doors as it opens - it is not a 'backdoor route' into medicine. Universities do offer it, but typically the actual departments - both medicine and biomed - do not particularly like it. Feel free to take the course if you want to do biomedical sciences in its own right, but if your goal is medicine, please please don't.
Reply 4
yea i think i might just take a gap year and brush up my grades need to research because i heard they cap your grades and stuff. it’s just my parents are shoving me abroad to bulgaria and i don’t know if i’m passionate enough or even competent enough to do medicine anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by ruerue5

Me too :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending