The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Gold or Platinum card for freshers?????

:confused: hi guys, im gonna be starting hull in bout a week doing education and psychology...

With regards to Freshers week, obviously the gold card thing is worth getting, but for the rest of the year, is the platinum card good value???

how much is entry to an average night out on campus etc...i.e. if i go out usually 2 times a week, or occasionally 3, is it cheaper to get the platinum card for the year for £195

on another note, as i was fairly late in sorting accomodation, im having to share a semi catered room in the Lawns, as i want a single room and self catered (nickname is chef, so is fairly self explanatory) this isnt really ideal...

does anyone know how easy it is to move into other accomodation once im there???

Cheers for any help u can give me,
EZ, Benjamin
Apparently, you put your name on a piece of paper in your Hall and then the people at accommodation work through the list. Sounds easy but it may take a couple of weeks.

As for info on the cards, sorry, I can't help you there. No idea!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
info on the card is at...

http://www.hullstudent.com/DisplayPage.asp?pageid=19162

What do you all think?
Reply 3
Numsey
info on the card is at...

http://www.hullstudent.com/DisplayPage.asp?pageid=19162

What do you all think?

Yeh im convinced now, Ima get it.
Reply 4
me n hurricane_herd came to the conclusion that the gold card is good, after ALOT of deliberation, and i mean alot... we have both purchased a gold card - just for the reason that if it is rainin, we wont have to get our hair ruined....

myself and the almighty hurricane advise against a platinum card... because you are really commiting yourself to go to asylum everytime you go out, howevre with places like bev' road 2 mins away, and places liek pozition offerin free busses from the uni to the club.. the chances are you wont want to go to asylum everyweek, more like just for an occasional drink, or once a fortnight etc...
if the platinum card offered say a free live gig every so often then i wud have snapped up the deal. but sadly they dont....
What is the deal with buying a gold card as well...its got better protection then the 254 bit encription used by most sites to protect credit card details... firstly they give you an e-ticket number, which you have to take to the event with the card. And you have to take i.d to prove its you, on top of this, you might also be asked for address and post code. Bizzare !
Reply 6
Robcampo
me n hurricane_herd came to the conclusion that the gold card is good, after ALOT of deliberation, and i mean alot... we have both purchased a gold card - just for the reason that if it is rainin, we wont have to get our hair ruined....

myself and the almighty hurricane advise against a platinum card... because you are really commiting yourself to go to asylum everytime you go out, howevre with places like bev' road 2 mins away, and places liek pozition offerin free busses from the uni to the club.. the chances are you wont want to go to asylum everyweek, more like just for an occasional drink, or once a fortnight etc...
if the platinum card offered say a free live gig every so often then i wud have snapped up the deal. but sadly they dont....

i dont wanna ruin my hair either, so i mite join ur lil gang and get a gold card too!
I just got a gold card.. Are these needed because I haven't heard anything about them other than in forums!
the 2nd year students told me it was a waste of money cos if you go late and the event is full you end up queueing anyway. and also unlesss you like to party alone q jumping isnt going to help if all your mates are still outside lol cos not many people are going to have them.

apparently almost all the people who got them regretted it.
Reply 9
For £35, im sure that even if i didnt use it to Q jump, or still had to Q then, the amount of money saved with the free bus travel it gives you probs almost makes up for it
plus the fact it gives u discounts on your drink, i think me and hurricane are plannign to save atleast £40 in total in our drink spending, plus the free bbq for cold card holders...
And our hair wont be ruined.....

Plus we can always pretent to be like cool gangsters or another comedy icon who may happen to have a gold card... ahem :wink:

At the end of the day im sure it will be worthwhile, id rather think darn it, iv wasted £XX than think damm, i wish i had a gold card, but its too late - if i have it and dont want it, then i dont need to use it, if i dont have it but decide i wish i had one, then iv **** out....

Robcampo

PS. dont forget the security on these gold cards is stricter than at the gates of heathrow....

Latest