The Student Room Group

1st week at a Russell Group University

I am hoping to go to a russell group uni in September. I know there is something called refreshers week which is intros etc but what actually happens on the first week of uni???

:smile:
Unconditional offer?
Original post by Anonymous
I am hoping to go to a russell group uni in September. I know there is something called refreshers week which is intros etc but what actually happens on the first week of uni???

:smile:

Your thinking of freshers week not refreshers it starts with move in weekend

Move in weekend this is when everybody moves in to accommodation un less you’re commuting. The Angles (as they were called at my uni really just second and third years) will be hanging around to welcome you show you to your room and let you know whats going on that night mostly on Sunday there is a big messy night so all the freshers can get to know each other and make friends with people some you’ll see again some you won’t if your lucky you’ll wake up net to one of them.

Monday you’ll get a talk about safety in the city from the police and the university mostly don’t spike your mates drinks don’t walk through parks at night on your own stuff like that. you’ll also get a welcome talk from the faculty and a tour noun the university you’ll be told about the grading structure what happens if you collude or plagiarise and student services will tell you all about what the offer job shops and stuff If tour doing STEM too might also get a maths test (it’s just to see where you are there is no pass mark it’s just to see what the class struggle with so they can plan math lecture around that.

Tuesday You’ll get still more orientation stuff like signing up with a doctor and the like. you’ll also get an library orientation and I enrolled and got my campus card on the Tuesday. You’ll probably also get some introductory labs nothing too taxing for me it was just some Soldering that I wiped through in about 5 mins (some people took much longer).

Wednesday You’ll get some more introductory lectures and labs and The Freshers fair starts ours was split in to two the freshers fair was all about life style stuff so the religious society and LGBTQ+ (nether of which are my cup of tea) were there along with stuff like the local police and a lot about volunteering there will all be things like the Student radio TV channel and the student rag (it’s a free magazine for the student body and does a lot of fund-raising) if you go early you’ll get free pizza an a lot of free stuff I haven’t explained it well but it’s worth visit even if tit’s just for the ridiculous amount of Maoam. also Wednesday is the big party night one call of uni not just freshers week.

Thursday This is day 2 of the freshers fair you mint get some more introductory lectures and labs depends on your time table but the main thing is sport and rec most of the society’s like amerind football climbing music film etc any society that interests you will be there (if nothing takes your fancy it’s easy to start your own.) You’ll get even more free **** and the pizza is still there.

Friday Depending on your time table you might or might not have Introductory labs or lectures but freshers week is winding down this it a normal day of corse with fun events at night like every night freshers week.

Of course one this week and next week there are loads of clubs night and party like Freshers Ball, The Big Night Out (don’t miss the las boat from the isle of Wight) society club nights and trial sessions team tryouts (if you want to join spots team.) so there is lots going on for the first two weeks of uni anyway that’s the first week.

I suspect you say some saying Refresher on a pin board on a halls tour I know Herts did an event called that sometimes but the Refresher isn’t really a thing Freshers week is.

Spoiler

(edited 11 months ago)
Freshers week is where you have your (usually mandatory) inductions, get your uni access card(s) and IT logins, and formally complete your registration with the uni.

There are also usually "fairs" for societies running so you can walk around and visit stands for each society and see if you wish to join any. There are also tend to be a lot of drinking and clubbing events on in the evenings.

Your lectures will then start in the following week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending