The Student Room Group

Id at uni

My dad wants me to order my provisional licence before I leave, but it will take 3 weeks to arrive and I’ll already be at uni by then. I’m really nervous about having id because I don’t like parties/clubs/pubs/etc and I was hoping to use having no id as an excuse to not go but I don’t want to tell my dad that because he gets super worried about me being a “hermit” so I don’t know what to do.
Use your passport
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My dad wants me to order my provisional licence before I leave, but it will take 3 weeks to arrive and I’ll already be at uni by then. I’m really nervous about having id because I don’t like parties/clubs/pubs/etc and I was hoping to use having no id as an excuse to not go but I don’t want to tell my dad that because he gets super worried about me being a “hermit” so I don’t know what to do.

If you don't want to go out, then don't go out. You don't need an excuse.

Clubs/pubs might need an ID; if a party is at someone's house/flat, then there won't be a need for an ID.

Having "official" photo ID will be useful for other things in future, for example you might need to buy an age-restricted product in a supermarket (there are products other than alcohol and smoking items that are age-restricted).

Once fresher's week is over, things will quieten down a lot. You might find you enjoy going out for a quiet mid-week drink in the pub with a couple of friends -- a Monday evening in a pub is likely to be very different to a Friday night, for example.

Hi there

If you do not feel comfortable going to parties/clubs etc. you do not need to go. :smile: Please do not feel pressured to go to something you are not happy with, it certainly does not mean you are a "hermit". I personally do not go to these events either. If you tell others that you do not drink or club, most people will understand. :smile:

There are many students at University that do not go clubbing or drinking. Having an ID or not does not really matter too much.. A provisional licence can come in quite handy, so I would recommend ordering one just in case. :biggrin:

The good thing about University is that there are a lot of people, you can most likely meet a group of friends who are not into drinking or clubbing too. I would recommend going onto your University's student union website and checking out other non-drinking events. You should also try to go to the Fresher's fair, where societies display their events. Joining societies is a really good way to meet like minded people.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
ID is useful for other things :yep: E.g. when I had freshers flu I needed paracetamol, and they do often check, that time I didn't have ID on me and it was soooo annoying.

Another thing is you'll almost definitely need either your passport or provisional if you want a job at uni :smile:

I think its worth having anyway. Its cheaper than carrying round a passport.
(edited 7 months ago)

Hey there!

As others have suggested, order the provisional, take the passport with you to uni. You don't necessarily have to use it if you do get your provisional, it's there just incase. For example, sometimes some bars check your ID on entry anyway even if you're not drinking. Even places like spoons check your ID if you're in there after 9PM, regardless of if you're drinking or not. Just say you're taking your passport to use but just keep it for emergencies and just incase you want to use it. No pressure to at all.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I was ID'd a few weeks ago when I went to see Oppenheimer at the cinema :eek3: The uses of having an ID are far and wide and it's in your best interest to have one.

Hey there,

Id might be needed for a lot of things you do as a young adult, such as going to cinema for some movies for example :smile:

Please, remember that university is a home for all kinds of people, and you will for sure find a lot of people and activities you are comfortable with.
There are plenty of student societies and other activities, who do not adore clubbing same way as you.

So my advice is to get an id as it is an essential thing to have, but also try to find a society, club or a group of people you might be comfortable communicating with. I don't like partying in the same way as you, and I see it as my advantage in long term as I am spending more time for my own development.

Good luck to you and let me know if you need some additional advice,

- Ilya :u:
Original post by Scotland Yard
I was ID'd a few weeks ago when I went to see Oppenheimer at the cinema :eek3: The uses of having an ID are far and wide and it's in your best interest to have one.

My daughter needed ID recently to buy a standing ticket for the theatre. Curious about what the rules were it turned out that under 16s aren't allowed to stand - she was very miffed as she is 21. Luckily she always carries ID as she has a young face it seems.
Agreed with everyone saying that you don't need to have an excuse to not go to clubs and stuff, and not doing that doesn't make you a hermit.

I will say that 1) not everywhere accepts a provisional driving licence as ID as opposed to a full driving licence, just so you're aware, and 2) I would use your passport to get other forms of ID like the TOTUM digital card with ID option and/or a Citizen Card, and keep your passport in a safe place unless you specifically need a passport. Don't risk losing your passport on a night out! ID like the Citizen Card works fine for nights out and buying age restricted products. Those cards usually just need your passport number for their online applications.
Also - if your dad asks, you don't have to tell him everything about what you're doing. It's fine to tell him you met up with friends or went to a house party even if you had a night in. You're an adult now.
Reply 11
You'll need some form of ID to vote :smile:
Original post by bl0bf1sh
You'll need some form of ID to vote :smile:

Oh also a good point!

Hey,

Just wanted to check if you have found any of our advice useful ? :smile:

Ilya :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending