The Student Room Group

What is the aim of the Freshers Day?

Original post by nicolegeogery

Hey!

So unis do freshers day/week/welcome week etc, to help you settle in, get to know the uni and make friends! There may be different events to introduce you to your department, help you get to know your flat and overall just have fun! I'd always say get involved with as much as you are comfortable to.

Hope that helps a bit
Kat
You do not have to participate if you do not want to.
Hi @nicolegeogery,

The aim of Freshers Day/Week is to help you to settle in, get to know your department and the resources available across campus, make friends, and enjoy any other events your university has scheduled!

It varies depending on the university, but there are typically events scheduled all week within your department and then within the university as a whole. For example, this may include department welcome talks, introductions to the students' union, advice on registering with a local GP, freshers' fair, and a sports and societies fair.

It can be overwhelming, as it is quite a busy time, but there is no obligation to get involved with any activities you don't want to. I personally enjoyed getting the freebies, but didn't take part in any of the nights out.

Hope this helps,
Isabella
Reply 4
To add to this because I've also been confused about the whole Freshers stuff, is Welcome week the same as the Freshers week I see so many students talk about? I don't know which one my parents can attend.
Reply 5
Original post by DarylO
To add to this because I've also been confused about the whole Freshers stuff, is Welcome week the same as the Freshers week I see so many students talk about? I don't know which one my parents can attend.

Generally they're just different names for the same thing, with different unis calling them different things. Usually neither of them are for parents: they're full of events like compulsory course inductions, campus and library tours, society events, sports clubs tasters, information fairs etc.

What sort of thing were you looking for for your parents to attend? Some unis do run stuff for parents, but this is a separate thing to Welcome/Freshers week, which are more focused on students settling in and getting to know the uni and other students.
Reply 6
Original post by Interea
Generally they're just different names for the same thing, with different unis calling them different things. Usually neither of them are for parents: they're full of events like compulsory course inductions, campus and library tours, society events, sports clubs tasters, information fairs etc.

What sort of thing were you looking for for your parents to attend? Some unis do run stuff for parents, but this is a separate thing to Welcome/Freshers week, which are more focused on students settling in and getting to know the uni and other students.

Ohhh, I see. There were so many different things that I got confused. Thanks for the response.

I thought they could attend one or two talks, and some of the campus tours then I'll stay for the rest. They're more interested in exploring the city alone but they want to have a proper introduction to the school and my course.
Freshers is typically one or two weeks. It is the same thing as welcome week (this term is typically preferred as they want all students to feel at home and “freshers” often has connotations to binge drinking).

It has a few aims:
- mainly administrative: get you registered, setup IT stuff, learn course structure, meet & learn key people (such as your course director, tutor).
- personal admin/housekeeping: ensure housing & financial stuff is organized (often more of an issue for international students, who need to setup UK banking etc.)
- familiarization: learn the university, the local area, shops, routine...
- have fun & make friends
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Freshers is typically one or two weeks. It is the same thing as welcome week (this term is typically preferred as they want all students to feel at home and “freshers” often has connotations to binge drinking).

It has a few aims:
- mainly administrative: get you registered, setup IT stuff, learn course structure, meet & learn key people (such as your course director, tutor).
- personal admin/housekeeping: ensure housing & financial stuff is organized (often more of an issue for international students, who need to setup UK banking etc.)
- familiarization: learn the university, the local area, shops, routine...
- have fun & make friends

Thank you. Tbh, I assumed it was like a concert with a lot of drinking, and was wondering when we'll have time for all the administrative stuff before classes. Now, I know I don't have to stress about two different timetables :h:
Reply 9
Original post by DarylO
I thought they could attend one or two talks, and some of the campus tours then I'll stay for the rest. They're more interested in exploring the city alone but they want to have a proper introduction to the school and my course.

What you describe above is what might happen at an open day for prospective students.

Normally "freshers events" take place during "Freshers Week" -- which is the week before teaching starts. Some universities have started calling this "Introductory Week" or "Welcome Week", possibly to get away from the drinking-and-partying connotations that the term "Freshers Week" has accrued.

Whatever it's called, that week typically contains a mixture of administrative and introductory events run by the university (including things like completing in-person registration and collecting your ID/Library card, and some introductory sessions run by your school/department/faculty); plus social events organised by the student union, plus other evening events run by nightclubs etc.

Hi @nicolegeogery :smile:

Freshers Day is there to help new students ease into their new environments, get to know other people, make new friends and meet your lecturers and peers. There’s also often events to help you choose a society, or flat events if you choose to live in accommodation! All of it is really just to help with the transition, as it can be very difficult for some people to process change and having fun events like these can make it easier!

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Hey there @nicolegeogery !
Freshers Week means different things for everyone. For those who want to engage in what's considered 'uni culture', some people end up going out clubbing every night or going to events with their flat or coursemates etc. Not everyone participates in this and it's absolutely up to you whether you want to or not. For others Freshers is a chance to check out the campus and meet new people. My university offered freshers week welcome events which included a timetabled session to meet my coursemates and be introduced to the software and learning platforms I'd be using. There was also the sports and societies fair which you could book onto and go and meet all the teams to sign up for them if you wanted to. Again, this is optional not everyone does it. Having said this, joining a society is a great way to meet new friends and get yourself out the house a couple of times a week.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 12
Original post by martin7
What you describe above is what might happen at an open day for prospective students.

Normally "freshers events" take place during "Freshers Week" -- which is the week before teaching starts. Some universities have started calling this "Introductory Week" or "Welcome Week", possibly to get away from the drinking-and-partying connotations that the term "Freshers Week" has accrued.

Whatever it's called, that week typically contains a mixture of administrative and introductory events run by the university (including things like completing in-person registration and collecting your ID/Library card, and some introductory sessions run by your school/department/faculty); plus social events organised by the student union, plus other evening events run by nightclubs etc.

Thanks a lot for the response! :h:. Helps clear up any misunderstandings.

Hi there @nicolegeogery, :smile:

Freshers day/week is basically there to help new students settle into university life and to meet new friends/ get to know campus better. The university will put on some workshops and taster sessions for you to meet new people. There will likely be a freshers fair where you will have the opportunity to sign up for any clubs or societies you may be interested in. I really enjoyed my freshers week so if you are comfortable I would get involved.

All the best,
Sarah
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending