The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Just reading this thread is making me panicky. I don't mind if they're on the wall but if i see one on the floor in my room i scream and run out and i can't enter my room again unless someone goes in and kills it for me. I can't kill it myself because it might run or something and i hate them moving! I also have to sleep downstairs on the sofa because i just can't be in my room when i know there's a spider even though i know they can't hurt me what am i so scared of?????????:confused:
Reply 61
Shreerac1
Woah I just saw your room on myspace no wonder you have spiders living in all that mess.

Whose?
Reply 62
Get that *****ING THING OFF Caster Troy 2 :mad:

*REPORTED*
Reply 63
That absolute b*stard!!!!!!!!! :eek:I'm freaking out now i keep thinking i've got spiders on me!!!!
Reply 64
[QUOTE="Lucy_88"]That absolute b*stard!!!!!!!!! :eek:I'm freaking out now i keep thinking i've got spiders on me!!!![/QUOTE

YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE :mad: ALL UP MY BACK- I CAN'T EVEN LEAN BACK AGAINST THE SOFA....:mad: :frown:
Get a dog.
I'm a very minor arachnophobe; I don't like them, but normally unless I feel they've wronged me in some way I don't bother killing fairly small ones (I don't like flies either, and my Venus Flytrap died...), I just keep a wary eye on any I see lest they get close enough to warrant a stomping.

But the more massive ones that sometimes turn up around winter even I really don't like going near. However, I've discovered having a dog is highly useful in this case. All I have to do is point at the thing and say the highly amusing command "Kill!" and the spider had better hope it can move fast, or it'll meet it's end in a large pair of labrador jaws...
Not an especially nice sight, and if he tries to lick me soon afterwards it can be very gross, but at least he's efficient :confused: I presume cats would also be quite good at this, being hunters, but I can't say from experience.
Eep, I've had to have a room raid now! Luckily I've been scrolling slowly and not had to see the full pictures, you evil, evil person!
Reply 67
Duke Flipside
Get a dog.
I'm a very minor arachnophobe; I don't like them, but normally unless I feel they've wronged me in some way I don't bother killing fairly small ones (I don't like flies either, and my Venus Flytrap died...), I just keep a wary eye on any I see lest they get close enough to warrant a stomping.

But the more massive ones that sometimes turn up around winter even I really don't like going near. However, I've discovered having a dog is highly useful in this case. All I have to do is point at the thing and say the highly amusing command "Kill!" and the spider had better hope it can move fast, or it'll meet it's end in a large pair of labrador jaws...
Not an especially nice sight, and if he tries to lick me soon afterwards it can be very gross, but at least he's efficient :confused: I presume cats would also be quite good at this, being hunters, but I can't say from experience.

Not my cat I'm afraid...far too dignified for the eating of spiders!! :rolleyes: haughty but lovable thing..sitting next to me as innocent as the day! :biggrin:
Reply 68
Duke Flipside
Get a dog.

I've got 2 dogs and they're bloody useless they don't even see the thing most of the time and if they do they ignore it
My brothers rat eats spiders no problem, although it is pretty freaky to watch.
Eww! My dog wouldn't think of doing such a dirty deed, he'd expect me to get rid of it! And the boyfriend, well he wouldn't go near with a ten foot barge pole! The other day I had one just above my head next to my bed on the wall! I was like 'OMGDADTHERE'SAHUGESPIDERINMYROOM', he was like 'Yeah, I bet it's tin.. WHOA' :frown:
Reply 71
I'm very upset with whoever uploaded those pictures. I'm now in a cold sweat. I can't even give you any rep for it as I'm terrified to go near your posts. >=<
OH. MY. GOD.

I just had a terrifying spider experience! Just now! I am still shaking!

I went to turn on the lamp and SOMETHING MOVED. It was a spider and it was HUGE! Seriously enormous! It was in some cables so after a few minutes of me standing there frozen and it sitting there frozen, I ran to get Raid and a pointy stick (thank god my mum has so much clutter around - I was able to find a really long pointy metal parasol pole) and when I got back IT HAD GONE. :eek:

After a few minutes of frantically poking about and picking my stuff up off the floor using the stick to raise it to safer heights, I went to make myself a cup of tea in an effort to calm down, but when I came back in here I SAW IT RUN ACROSS THE ROOM. IT WAS HUGE. Appropriately, there was a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning to truly emphasize the horror. There is a big fat storm now.

I Grabbed the Raid and the pointy stick, one in each hand, white knuckles and shaking furiously, I approached it and whacked it with the stick which made it run faster. :eek2:

I whacked it again, sprayed it with Raid, squealed like a little girl, whacked it again and again and sprayed about a half a can of Raid on it. It is dead. I win.

Here is a picture for those of you brave enough to look, I have placed (used the stick to poke there) a 2p (yes, 2p. Not a 1p, a 2p) next to it's corpse. The corpse is whitish because it is drenched in Raid. Bear in mind that's it's all curled up now and was a LOT bigger alive.

I win! I ****ing win! I am shaking and clammy and it feels like I have things crawling all over me but I ****ING WIN, SPIDER BITCH.

Now, for that cup of tea. I think I might put some whiskey in it.
castor you an immature little prat, grow up no one save for other immature little prats thinks your funny
loser88

There are SO many big black ones (I call them big blacks, so just so you know I'm not being racist)

:lolz: That's hilarious!!

I put hairspray on them.. Their legs stick together and they freak out loads!! Hours of unadulterated fun..!! ;spider;
I dont understand a fear of spiders??? isn't it just slightly irrational? If I see a spider I'n my room I wouldn't kill it, I'd either leave it if it's not bothering me or put it outside. Also killing spiders is quite inhumane they do feel pain you know, so picking their legs off or choking them with poisonous hairspray is like doing the same thing to a defenceless (although rather ugly) child. Please don't do it, it's the equivalent of torturing a person, they dont always die quickly and lets face it you wouldn't do it to a dog so why any other animal? If your scared of someone it doesn't justify you killing them so that you no longer feel afraid, does it?
loser88
I have severe arachnophobia (there are other things I'm scared of: *needles*, deep water, heights, flying but these are not ruining my life). It dominates EVERYTHING. I can't walk into a room without checking around the doorway and the room I am walking into for spiders.

There are SO many big black ones (I call them big blacks, so just so you know I'm not being racist), that if I see one (generally at night) I am PETRIFIED- shaking, the works. I tend to sit immobilised for up to an hour just looking and checking that there aren't any in my room. Then I have to do a 'spider check'- going around my whole room and checking everywhere, behind and under things- *EVERYWHERE*.

This has now got so bad that I do this over 8 times a night, and check especially a lot around my head- under and behind pillows, behind and under my bed, around my bed and under the covers. It is exacerbated by the fact that I used to have a severe OCD which I'm mainly under controly of, but because I have insomnia- tiredness increases the vestiges of OCD and it's all a vicious circle that goes round and round. I'm often still up at 4, sometimes even 6 and it's taking over.

I'm moving into my flat on Sunday where I'll be alone for a week or so before my friend arrives and I don't know *WHAT* I'm going to do when a spider comes along- I can't even suck them up with a hoover.

If anyone has any advice- please shareit because it's ruling my life :frown:

Thank you in advance.

o00o sounds like me i got over it by gettin a spider tattoo wid fearless above it and havin a bet wid my mate that i wud get over my fear if he went to tech lol mite not work for you but it did for me coz i can now like touch spiders and stuff :biggrin:
Reply 77
loser88
I have severe arachnophobia (there are other things I'm scared of: *needles*, deep water, heights, flying but these are not ruining my life). It dominates EVERYTHING. I can't walk into a room without checking around the doorway and the room I am walking into for spiders.

There are SO many big black ones (I call them big blacks, so just so you know I'm not being racist), that if I see one (generally at night) I am PETRIFIED- shaking, the works. I tend to sit immobilised for up to an hour just looking and checking that there aren't any in my room. Then I have to do a 'spider check'- going around my whole room and checking everywhere, behind and under things- *EVERYWHERE*.

This has now got so bad that I do this over 8 times a night, and check especially a lot around my head- under and behind pillows, behind and under my bed, around my bed and under the covers. It is exacerbated by the fact that I used to have a severe OCD which I'm mainly under controly of, but because I have insomnia- tiredness increases the vestiges of OCD and it's all a vicious circle that goes round and round. I'm often still up at 4, sometimes even 6 and it's taking over.

I'm moving into my flat on Sunday where I'll be alone for a week or so before my friend arrives and I don't know *WHAT* I'm going to do when a spider comes along- I can't even suck them up with a hoover.

If anyone has any advice- please shareit because it's ruling my life :frown:

Thank you in advance.

I am exactly the same. My mum keeps saying 'what will you do when you go to uni?.' No-one seems to understand how scared i am of them. I start hyperventilating :frown: Why do they exist? :mad:
I dont understand a fear of spiders??? isn't it just slightly irrational?

Phobia = irrational fear. It's not suposed to make sense :wink:
Reply 79
OP: sorry to hear you're so affected by this. Phobias are horrible things and only people who suffer from them can fully understand how intrusive they can be in people's lives. Have you ever considered asking your GP to refer you to someone who you can talk to about this?

Got given a spider catcher from my sister as a jokey bday present and it turns out its the most useful thing ever! I live on my own and now have no fear whatsoever about getting rid of spiders. Its my little miracle :biggrin:

http://www.spidercatcher.net/product.htm

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spider-catcher/index.html

Latest

Trending

Trending