The Student Room Group

E4's Glue

Started this week, anybody catch it?

Starring one half of Rizzle Kicks, it's penned by Jack Thorne who also wrote This is England 86 and Skins. It focuses on a Berkshire town rocked by a murder of a teenage boy. It's meant to be Broadchurch-meets-Skins.

I was really impressed with the pilot. What did you think?

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was a decent first episode & I'll be interested to see where it goes next. Always good to see some drama being made for young adults. :smile: E4 will pretty much be the only UK channel doing this if BBC3 goes.
Original post by Mackay
Started this week, anybody catch it?

Starring one half of Rizzle Kicks, it's penned by Jack Thorne who also wrote This is England 86 and Skins. It focuses on a Berkshire town rocked by a murder of a teenage boy. It's meant to be Broadchurch-meets-Skins.

I was really impressed with the pilot. What did you think?

Original post by TroyAndAbed
I thought it was a decent first episode & I'll be interested to see where it goes next. Always good to see some drama being made for young adults. :smile: E4 will pretty much be the only UK channel doing this if BBC3 goes.

i love it i think its really good i like how they've put some elements of skins but aren't focusing on all the craziness but the murder in general. its fun tryna figure out which one them killed him, but i have no clue who did but i'd guess it's the one u'd least expect.
Reply 3
Really intriguing second episode. Not quite as good as the first, but the dialogue was sharper and we're getting a sense of the characters. It really does have a Broadchurch feel about it - there's no denying that.
Reply 4
The cast were on Alan Carr AND Soccer AM this weekend. Good to see it getting some exposure.
it is getting really compelling
Here's my theory:
Cal went into a care home. He and Chris then became male prostitutes pleasing men.
Three days before cal met up with the ginger policeman I believe he was one of his clients.
Five days before eli follows cal after cal came out the home he tried his best to keep an eye on him. I believe the person cal was meeting was chris the boy he met at the home.
Cal gives information to a mysterious guy he tells him that it's two guys not much older than him driving a red horse box I think this is about Rob and the stable owner.
'janine' was murdered by someone in a white car and the little ginger traveler probably saw everything. I think the killer set up ruth because of the ring she gave ruth. I also think her killer isnt cal's but are somehow related, I think it was that stable owner.

But who knows anyone else got theories?
Reply 7
Original post by cathzeta10
Here's my theory:
Cal went into a care home. He and Chris then became male prostitutes pleasing men.
Three days before cal met up with the ginger policeman I believe he was one of his clients.
Five days before eli follows cal after cal came out the home he tried his best to keep an eye on him. I believe the person cal was meeting was chris the boy he met at the home.
Cal gives information to a mysterious guy he tells him that it's two guys not much older than him driving a red horse box I think this is about Rob and the stable owner.
'janine' was murdered by someone in a white car and the little ginger traveler probably saw everything. I think the killer set up ruth because of the ring she gave ruth. I also think her killer isnt cal's but are somehow related, I think it was that stable owner.

But who knows anyone else got theories?

I think the first point you make is bang on the money - but the rest, I'll have to wait and see. I came up with so many ludicrous theories for Broadchurch and True Detective that I was ultimately disappointed by both respective endings. I'm trying to keep a level-head and not invest too much in who I think has done it as of yet.

That said, it's clear that the Janine murderer wasn't one of the main gang of four, which leaves Eli and the stable owner Dominic as the main suspects. That said, it could just as easily be a parent OR a member of the Romany community.

Like you said, I think we're looking at separate killers.
I'm not smart enough to come up with theories about what's going on but it's interesting to see what you all think. :smile:
Okay yesterdays episode confused me a lot, lots of unexpected twists and turns but i had a feeling about the other cop but i didn't think he would turn out like this, they're trying to make us think that he's suspicious but i don't think he killed cal instead i think he tried to kill janine, they should question that little traveller kid, he may know who tried to kill her.

its clear ruth's partner was involved with cal and that chris kid in some way maybe sexually or or was involved with the cigarette thing.

yesterdays ep meant we could rule out Dom as someone who killed Cal he's up there with Janine now. what i gathered from yesterdays ep was not a lot but...
- i'm changing my mind about the ginger police office cal met up with 3 days before his death, i think that was ruth's partner and five days before, the person cal was going to meet up with i still think it was going to be chris but again it could have been ruth's police partner - its possible but i doubt it as Cal seemed a little upset the person wasn't coming anymore.
- i actually think that maybe ruth's partner was trying to help cal in the days before he died maybe cal got in too deep with some trouble, this idea came to me when i saw the trailer of the next episode.
- that traveller guy didnt try to kill janine, because in the episode before he said how travellers burn a dead travellers things so that it can't give them bad luck but he let that ginger kid keep that necklace - that's why he got arrested (that and the fact that his DNA was on it.)

thats all i have for now :biggrin:
Reply 10
The race scenes were beautifully shot - as was the final two minutes of this week's ep.
Not going to watch it, but my friend is in it, so that's cool.
Reply 12
Original post by Arkasia
Not going to watch it, but my friend is in it, so that's cool.

Who?
Original post by Mackay
Who?

He is a background character, not a main part.
Reply 14
Gunna go out on a limb and say it... I reckon Caleb and James may have been gay lovers. Looking forward to episode 5 tonight. Over halfway through already!
Really enjoyed episode 5. Was really gripping. Probably the strongest yet. Looking forward to where it goes next.
i absolutely loved episode five especially the end with james. plus i knew there something about that romany girl, and who was she talking about? was that girl her? and now james joins the list with dominic and janine - they defintetly didn't kill cal. i think its possible that james mother killed cal, maybe she found out their plan, i mean the farm does mean everything to her and she wants james to stay with her and the farm, anyone feel the same?
for anybody interested in the msic used in glue here they are:

music from the episodes
'cry no more' vaults. used at the end of the credits for every episode
ep 1 - 'hate me soon' yellow ostrich.
ep 2 - 'oya' obeyi.
ep 3 - 'fever to the from' nick mulvey.
ep 4 - 'waiting (pal remix)' alice boman(only on soundcloud)
ep 5 - 'cannibals' kayla la grange.

music from the trailers
ep 2 trailer - 'Smug' Polica
ep 3 trailer - 'possibility' Lykke Li
ep 4 trailer - 'Before I Ever Met You' Banks.
ep 5 trailer - '
Firework' Stefany June (only on soundcloud)
trailer 2 - '
Hunger of the Pine' Alt-J
first trailer - 'Love is to die' Warpaint
(not sure if this actually one but it was use in the extended promo...) '
Everybody Wants To Rule The World' From The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” Soundtrack by Lorde
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Great episode again - but I can't help but feel it was a little too Skins-y. There was absolutely fantastic acting in it from all quarters, though, not least Billy Howle who plays James. What a performance from a newcomer. I'm becoming more intrigued - but I could see the Cal/James relationship a mile off, and the Romany girl was bound to become a central part of the plot after the emphasis placed on her in camera shots during Ruth's visits to the travelling site.

There needs to be a bigger focus on Eli - I think this week looked over him somewhat. Still plenty of questions and answers to come, though. Three weeks left! Next week's looks pretty relentless with Tina and Rob's relationship at the forefront.

Jessie Cave's character hasn't had too much to do at this point, so I'm expecting some twists to do with her character over the coming weeks. She's too good a talent to waste on being the ditzy friend imho.
Reply 19
Original post by cathzeta10

trailer 2 - '
Hunger of the Pine' [COLOR="#404040"]Alt-J

Great tune and great trailer. Cheers for this.

Quick Reply

Latest