The Student Room Group

False eyelashes

Never in my life have I attempted to wear false eyelashes. I just put mascara on my own eyelashes. I'm a little curious though.

So... do you wear them? Should I try it? Are they hard to put on? Are there different types? Do you put mascara on them?

Advise a total eyelash newbie on all things false eyelash related please.
Reply 1
I wear them sometimes, I prefer falsies to extensions as they do less damage to my natural lashes. They can be a bit fiddly to put on so that takes some getting used to but it’s not overly difficult!

Lots of different types in terms of style, shape, length, thickness etc so you can get a more ‘false’ or natural look if you wanted to.
You don’t put mascara on the false lashes although most will put mascara on their bottom lashes to they don’t look so out of proportion compared to the fake ones on top x
Reply 2
I only ever wear magnetic eyelashes.
They are quite easy to apply and look great in photos.
Use magnetic eyeliner instead of glue.

If you are willing to consider wearing false eyelashes that require glue to apply, it is best to run a patch test on your skin at least 24hrs before you intend to try out the eyelashes.
There have been quite a few very serious allergic reaction incidents where women have been hospitalised for several days after their mua's used eyelash application glues in a beauty salon or they used it at home themselves with false eyelash packs where the ingredients were missing/written in an unfamiliar language .
Often the glues are imported from overseas nations where it is not legally required or the custom to list all the ingredients in cosmetics.
Reply 3
I normally just style my real lashes with mascara now. I used to wear false lashes a lot in my teens though- I stopped when I started wearing glasses- I found the false lashes kept brushing against my lenses. I don't have this problem when I style my real ones even though I've got fairly long lashes anyway.
If you want to try out false lashes there's a number of different styles you can go for- you just need to be careful with the glue if you're using any.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Never in my life have I attempted to wear false eyelashes. I just put mascara on my own eyelashes. I'm a little curious though.

So... do you wear them? Should I try it? Are they hard to put on? Are there different types? Do you put mascara on them?

Advise a total eyelash newbie on all things false eyelash related please.

ooooh this is my jam so the easiest way i've mastered them is:

1. curl and masacara/ or just your regular mascara routine
2. thin layer of lash glue on the eyelid as if you were doing eyeliner
3. hold a mirror down so youre looking down at ur nose then the mirror
4. put the lash on top of the glue and kinda pinch the lashes and ur real lashes together so its down firmly

i find putting lash glue on the eyelid first makes it easier to place it exactly where u want it like as close to the lashes as possible and not wonky or anything. make sure you arent allergic to the glue so do a patch test - i use the duo sensitive glue and its got a brush applicator so much easier to do my method than a tube one. id defo recommend trying half lashes first; those are more natural so you wont feel like youve got spiders on ur eyes. you can get some cheap sets from amazon or shein to practice - as unethical as shein is, the half lashes are really nice quality and cheap so great for practice without hurting ur bank account. eyelure and ardell have very nice quality lashes that can start to get a bit pricier. the style and shape depends on ur preference so i personally go for cat eye shapes and a medium length but you can get really curly ones, very thick voluminous ones, super long ones, rounded ones etc
Original post by ALEreapp
I wear them sometimes, I prefer falsies to extensions as they do less damage to my natural lashes. They can be a bit fiddly to put on so that takes some getting used to but it’s not overly difficult!

Lots of different types in terms of style, shape, length, thickness etc so you can get a more ‘false’ or natural look if you wanted to.
You don’t put mascara on the false lashes although most will put mascara on their bottom lashes to they don’t look so out of proportion compared to the fake ones on top x

Original post by londonmyst
I only ever wear magnetic eyelashes.
They are quite easy to apply and look great in photos.
Use magnetic eyeliner instead of glue.

If you are willing to consider wearing false eyelashes that require glue to apply, it is best to run a patch test on your skin at least 24hrs before you intend to try out the eyelashes.
There have been quite a few very serious allergic reaction incidents where women have been hospitalised for several days after their mua's used eyelash application glues in a beauty salon or they used it at home themselves with false eyelash packs where the ingredients were missing/written in an unfamiliar language .
Often the glues are imported from overseas nations where it is not legally required or the custom to list all the ingredients in cosmetics.

Original post by Alesha1991
I normally just style my real lashes with mascara now. I used to wear false lashes a lot in my teens though- I stopped when I started wearing glasses- I found the false lashes kept brushing against my lenses. I don't have this problem when I style my real ones even though I've got fairly long lashes anyway.
If you want to try out false lashes there's a number of different styles you can go for- you just need to be careful with the glue if you're using any.

Original post by arch17
ooooh this is my jam so the easiest way i've mastered them is:

1. curl and masacara/ or just your regular mascara routine
2. thin layer of lash glue on the eyelid as if you were doing eyeliner
3. hold a mirror down so youre looking down at ur nose then the mirror
4. put the lash on top of the glue and kinda pinch the lashes and ur real lashes together so its down firmly

i find putting lash glue on the eyelid first makes it easier to place it exactly where u want it like as close to the lashes as possible and not wonky or anything. make sure you arent allergic to the glue so do a patch test - i use the duo sensitive glue and its got a brush applicator so much easier to do my method than a tube one. id defo recommend trying half lashes first; those are more natural so you wont feel like youve got spiders on ur eyes. you can get some cheap sets from amazon or shein to practice - as unethical as shein is, the half lashes are really nice quality and cheap so great for practice without hurting ur bank account. eyelure and ardell have very nice quality lashes that can start to get a bit pricier. the style and shape depends on ur preference so i personally go for cat eye shapes and a medium length but you can get really curly ones, very thick voluminous ones, super long ones, rounded ones etc

Thank you all of you :smile: I appreciate the info.

I'm feeling quite nervous of the glue now after all that. Do y'all think I should try the magnetic ones first?

What's a half lash? Does it only go across half the width of your eye?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Thank you all of you :smile: I appreciate the info.

I'm feeling quite nervous of the glue now after all that. Do y'all think I should try the magnetic ones first?

What's a half lash? Does it only go across half the width of your eye?

yes half lashes are designed to go on the outer corners of ur eyes so the lash hairs are short and get longer that way it blends in with your middle lashes which is why i would use mascara first with half lashes so it blends more seamlessly

glue isnt that much of an issue if your skin is usually okay with new skincare or makeup products etc. when i first tried them i chose the sensitive ones just in case so idk how different the regular ones are. full sized lashes that go across the whole eye can be more fiddly as sticking the inner corner down is probably one of the most irritating parts but once you get the hang of it, its so quick and easy. tiktok has a million tutorials and then some so definitely have a look if you want visual demonstrations

magnetic could also react to your skin but they are super easy too, they usually come as black eyeliner style glue so if you dont want the hassle of doing eyeliner then using glue on top (my glue brush has gone grey from eyeliner mixing into it haha) then try magnetic but they can be more expensive, especially if its the other type where you sandwich 2 pairs between your natural lashes haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glowingwin-Eyelashes-Reusable-Transparent-Handmade/dp/B0BWBTHCPR?th=1 half lashes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eyelashes-Handmade-Transparent-applicators-EMEDA/dp/B07ZH997G1/ref=sr_1_8?c=ts&keywords=False%2BEye%2BLashes&qid=1685902891&s=beauty&sr=1-8&ts_id=118429031&th=1 full lashes
https://www.lookfantastic.com/ardell-magnetic-lash-demi-wispies-false-eyelashes/11589063.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&shoppingpid=15MAKEUP&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000088329912&adtype=&product_id=11589063&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7PCjBhDwARIsANo7Cgl3lMOUk-L1rFdwsS54B9g2z_YJbJJ6_Hqq5JqRrXv9JVHAFVVpDF8aAjAbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds magnetic sandwich lashes
heres some examples but shein do have cheaper and equally good quality that i use
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by arch17
yes half lashes are designed to go on the outer corners of ur eyes so the lash hairs are short and get longer that way it blends in with your middle lashes which is why i would use mascara first with half lashes so it blends more seamlessly

glue isnt that much of an issue if your skin is usually okay with new skincare or makeup products etc. when i first tried them i chose the sensitive ones just in case so idk how different the regular ones are. full sized lashes that go across the whole eye can be more fiddly as sticking the inner corner down is probably one of the most irritating parts but once you get the hang of it, its so quick and easy. tiktok has a million tutorials and then some so definitely have a look if you want visual demonstrations

magnetic could also react to your skin but they are super easy too, they usually come as black eyeliner style glue so if you dont want the hassle of doing eyeliner then using glue on top (my glue brush has gone grey from eyeliner mixing into it haha) then try magnetic but they can be more expensive, especially if its the other type where you sandwich 2 pairs between your natural lashes haha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glowingwin-Eyelashes-Reusable-Transparent-Handmade/dp/B0BWBTHCPR?th=1 half lashes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eyelashes-Handmade-Transparent-applicators-EMEDA/dp/B07ZH997G1/ref=sr_1_8?c=ts&keywords=False%2BEye%2BLashes&qid=1685902891&s=beauty&sr=1-8&ts_id=118429031&th=1 full lashes
https://www.lookfantastic.com/ardell-magnetic-lash-demi-wispies-false-eyelashes/11589063.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&shoppingpid=15MAKEUP&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000088329912&adtype=&product_id=11589063&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7PCjBhDwARIsANo7Cgl3lMOUk-L1rFdwsS54B9g2z_YJbJJ6_Hqq5JqRrXv9JVHAFVVpDF8aAjAbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds magnetic sandwich lashes
heres some examples but shein do have cheaper and equally good quality that i use

PRSOM

Thank you this has been really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest