The Student Room Group

Question for everyone !

Do any of you care about dating outside of your ethnic group ? if you don't do your parents care? If they do why do you think they have an issue with it?

Scroll to see replies

No and no.
I don't care. I have dated several ethnicities in the past and never been disappointed, though based on my dating past it would seem that my 'type' is a white, petite brunette. I think my dad would be irritated if I bought a black, Asian, or Eastern European girl home from uni to meet him, but I don't really care because he's a colossal tool.
Reply 3
Original post by marky--mark
I don't care. I have dated several ethnicities in the past and never been disappointed, though based on my dating past it would seem that my 'type' is a white, petite brunette. I think my dad would be irritated if I bought a black, Asian, or Eastern European girl home from uni to meet him, but I don't really care because he's a colossal tool.

Why do you think your dad will have an issue with it? Does he think it's better to stick to your own ethnic group ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wardaa_
Why do you think your dad will have an issue with it? Does he think it's better to stick to your own ethnic group ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

He wouldn't like it because he's a racist idiot. Yes, he does think it's better to stick to one's own race, but it's possible to think that without being an idiot about it. Some people simply prefer their own race, which is fine, but he doesn't think that people should mix at all. He's also against equal marriage, without even pretending to have a religious reason for it. He's that kind of guy.
Reply 5
He wouldn't like it because he's a racist idiot. Yes, he does think it's better to stick to one's own race, but it's possible to think that without being an idiot about it. Some people simply prefer their own race, which is fine, but he doesn't think that people should mix at all. He's also against equal marriage, without even pretending to have a religious reason for it. He's that kind of guy.

Ohhh really? That's sad then. Have you tried educating him or is he just ignorant ? Have you ever bought anyone of a different ethnic background home? If so then did he act weird?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wardaa_
Ohhh really? That's sad then. Have you tried educating him or is he just ignorant ? Have you ever bought anyone of a different ethnic background home? If so then did he act weird?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never did take anyone apart from my girlfriend from Sixth Form home when I was still living there. Now I've moved out properly to work in Oxford while I study at Brookes, but he is aware of the fact that I have dated other people. We don't talk much so beyond knowing that he disapproves, I don't really know what his reaction would be if he ever did meet anyone.

I did try telling him a few times that he might end up with interracial grandkids one day, but such a conversation is usually short-lived. He isn't ignorant, because ignorant implies a lack of knowledge. He's mildly intolerant; he's not about to start hurling abuse around, but he's not comfortable with the idea either.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Do any of you care about dating outside of your ethnic group ? if you don't do your parents care? If they do why do you think they have an issue with it?

yes i do care. my parents also does. because it's a mix of different races.
I'll take what I can get:lol:

My dad doesn't care as long as I'm happy but my mum on the other hand ... :whip2:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't care. My parents hella do.
Reply 10
Original post by Sena5
yes i do care. my parents also does. because it's a mix of different races.

But what's wrong with it? At the end of the day we're all humans ? Or do you just prefer sticking to your own ethnic group ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by EverybodyHertz
I'll take what I can get:lol:

My dad doesn't care as long as I'm happy but my mum on the other hand ... :whip2:

Haha, what would your mum do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by TheCynicalChild
I don't care. My parents hella do.

It's always the older generation that care really. By 2050 everyone will be half cast

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I never did take anyone apart from my girlfriend from Sixth Form home when I was still living there. Now I've moved out properly to work in Oxford while I study at Brookes, but he is aware of the fact that I have dated other people. We don't talk much so beyond knowing that he disapproves, I don't really know what his reaction would be if he ever did meet anyone.

I did try telling him a few times that he might end up with interracial grandkids one day, but such a conversation is usually short-lived. He isn't ignorant, because ignorant implies a lack of knowledge. He's mildly intolerant; he's not about to start hurling abuse around, but he's not comfortable with the idea either.

If he ended up with interracial grandkids , trust me that will be enough to change his mind on dating other backgrounds over all. I think the only people that mainly have a problem with it is the older generation in terms of they were you no present back in the day and already have been brainwashed that everybody shouldn't be mixing I guess. I'm glad your open minded because most parents seem to carry that mindset on to their children in which goes on and on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Wardaa_
But what's wrong with it? At the end of the day we're all humans ? Or do you just prefer sticking to your own ethnic group ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

prefer to sticking to my own ethnic group..even all are humans and that statement is 100% right..when two different ethnic group marry their children would be called what?
Reply 15
Original post by Sena5
prefer to sticking to my own ethnic group..even all are humans and that statement is 100% right..when two different ethnic group marry their children would be called what?

Well obviously mixed race which is beautiful but what has that got to do with anything ? Love is blind if you fall in love with someone of a different color would you not go for them? or would you force yourself to not fall for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wardaa_
It's always the older generation that care really. By 2050 everyone will be half cast

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really annoying when they sniff around about what you prefer.

I'm like

Reply 17
Original post by Wardaa_
Well obviously mixed race which is beautiful but what has that got to do with anything ? Love is blind if you fall in love with someone of a different color would you not go for them? or would you force yourself to not fall for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

many types of marriages have taken place as you've said in my ethnic group as well but, I won't force or won't be attracted as I just keep control of myself as I fear for other ethnic groups for in case of marriage..different people and different environment..it's really hard for me to get used to..so i won't go in that way:yep:
Reply 18
Original post by TheCynicalChild
It's really annoying when they sniff around about what you prefer.

I'm like

Hahahaha I know right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wardaa_
If he ended up with interracial grandkids , trust me that will be enough to change his mind on dating other backgrounds over all. I think the only people that mainly have a problem with it is the older generation in terms of they were you no present back in the day and already have been brainwashed that everybody shouldn't be mixing I guess. I'm glad your open minded because most parents seem to carry that mindset on to their children in which goes on and on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean. The number of people my age and younger (I'm 21) that seem to just echo their upbringing is scary. It's our parents' generation that have influenced it, and theirs before them, but we need people these days to challenge this. If you are only attracted to your own race, that's fine; just don't expect to be able to challenge others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending