The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think america is there for the so-called "war on terror". whereas in the eyes of the british public we are there because tony made a mistake. its pretty much a concensus now that going into Iraq was a bad idea. Whereas in America people still tend to support it?
Yeah get them out of there, we had no business being there in the first place.
Reply 22
Zebedee
I think america is there for the so-called "war on terror". whereas in the eyes of the british public we are there because tony made a mistake. its pretty much a concensus now that going into Iraq was a bad idea. Whereas in America people still tend to support it?

You mean terrorists only target the US? :confused: If not, why should the US help Britain if Britain does nothing in return?
Carl1982
Yeah get them out of there, we had no business being there in the first place.

If they did have weapons of mass destruction then you would not be saying we had no business going there, you would be sucking blairs balls.

We cant pull out, we have to see it through, i dont think its even going badly, Taleban are dying everyday in far greater numbers than us, and with the 2500 troops from the UN about to be put in i dont think this can be seen as illegal anymore either as the UN is donating troops. Well not directly but it is forcing other countries to donate, Poland are sending 1000 troops over.

No business being there? America are our allies and like it or not you have to accept that, they entered wars that were nothing to do with them, World War II in Europe for example, and to be honest without their added numbers we possibly would have lost the war, so they ask for our help i dont think you can just say no, bit selfish.
Reply 24
Bismarck
You mean terrorists only target the US? :confused: If not, why should the US help Britain if Britain does nothing in return?

Before the invasion iraq had nothing to do with terrorism. The war has made Iraq a terrorist stronghold, exactly the oposiite of our aims.

The US fighting in iraq does not help britain (or anybody ) imo.
Reply 25
Zebedee
Yeh, i just think if we pull out now we will look weak. In the eyes of the arab AND the western world.

I still disagree with it though. We are stuck in the quicksand, hopefully things might improve. Or we can slowly reduce our numbers so that it looks less like a pull out.... dunno.

Sounds so much like Vietnam...history is repeating itself!
wipeandclean
you would be sucking blairs balls.

Er no thanks, Blair is an idiot, no wonder this country is messed up, we didn't need to go to war, there was no proof, even after the inspectors turned the place over.
Reply 27
Carl1982
Er no thanks, Blair is an idiot, no wonder this country is messed up, we didn't need to go to war, there was no proof, even after the inspectors turned the place over.

So now a person is an idiot if he guesses wrong about something? :confused: And you make the false assumption that the main motivation for war was the presence of WMD, and not an attempt to spread democracy and overthrow a totalitarian regime.
Reply 28
sak-y
Sounds so much like Vietnam...history is repeating itself!

In Vietnam, the US was actually defending an ally (South Vietnam) that was attacked by another country (North Vietnam). A loss in Vietnam meant South Vietnam being wiped off the map. A loss in Iraq is not going to lead to someone annexing Iraq or the terrorists coming to power. The US relied on proxies for over two decades before it got involved in Vietnam; it got involved in Iraq right away. Vietnam was helped by other countries, including the Soviet Union. No country is helping the insurgents in Iraq (not to the same extent anyway). The objective of Vietnam was to keep the communists from spreading to South Vietnam (even if this required supporting the authoritarian rulers of South Vietnam). The objective of Iraq was democracy promotion and regime change (and indirectly, energy security).

But the US was involved in both wars. And it didn't do too well in either. Therefore, the wars are identical. :rolleyes:
Reply 29
Zebedee
Before the invasion iraq had nothing to do with terrorism. The war has made Iraq a terrorist stronghold, exactly the oposiite of our aims.

The US fighting in iraq does not help britain (or anybody ) imo.

It was invaded by both the US and the UK, however. Why should only the US pay the price?
Bismarck
And you make the false assumption that the main motivation for war was the presence of WMD, and not an attempt to spread democracy and overthrow a totalitarian regime.

Well why didn't they tell us that at the outset instead of lying through their teeth about WMD(?), which many members of this forum seem to think is fine.
Reply 31
Zebedee
Ok, my feelings:

1) We should never have gone there in the first place,
2) But seeing as we are there we have a duty to uphold our word. So we should stay and try and see through what we started (even though it was a bad decision).
3) We should try and withdraw as much as possible without losing face to the world or the americans. I have no wish to be involved in this "war" but i also think we can't abandom our "allies" either.

This is, and is likely to be, the only time in my life I'm inclined to agree with Zebedee.

Edit:

Zebedee
Yeh, i just think if we pull out now we will look weak. In the eyes of the arab AND the western world.

However I missed this the first time; it would appear we believe in the same course but for differing reasons. In my opinion the coalition, being the cause of the current state Iraq is in, are morally obliged to finish the job- to achieve what was promised at whatever cost to the occupying nations.

However even those who have no interest in the Iraqi people's wellbeing and safety, but who are concerned with the issue of saving face in the world's opinion would, I imagine, agree that to show strength as opposed to revealing any weakness, the venture must be concluded fully with every promise upheld. Anything less would prove incapability and open the administrations concerned to even greater criticism and abasement- a contemporary example could be to refer to Israel's recent humiliation after intervention in Lebanon.

(Second edit: spelling)
Reply 32
naivesincerity
Well why didn't they tell us that at the outset instead of lying through their teeth about WMD(?), which many members of this forum seem to think is fine.

Because a vast majority of people wouldn't support a war for that reason. That much was made blatantly clear by the lack of public support for the interventions in Somalia and Yugoslavia.
Bismarck
Because a vast majority of people wouldn't support a war for that reason. That much was made blatantly clear by the lack of public support for the interventions in Somalia and Yugoslavia.

That justifies the lying?
Reply 34
naivesincerity
That justifies the lying?

That's a personal judgment. I'm just showing that WMD was never the main rationale for war. Heck, the reason Iraq was attacked and not someone else (say Iran) was precisely because it didn't have WMD (lower cost of war).
Reply 35
creak
However I missed this the first time; it would appear we believe in the same course but for differing reasons. In my opinion the coalition, being the cause of the current state Iraq is in, are morally obliged to finish the job- to achieve what was promised at whatever cost to the occoupying nations.

Yes, but i actually have doubts whether we can "win" this war in iraq. If we have reached the stage where the insurgency is unbeatable i think we owe it to the soldiers fighting there to cut our losses and come back. No point fighting if you can't win. If it is possible to win then i agree we have an obligation to see it through.

I think its fundamentally important to establish a stable democracy in Iraq. Now that we have embarked on this path. because we cannot let the insurgents and terrorists win. if they do they will have proved themselves powerfull enough to take us on and this will serve as an example to the arab world. It would promote extremeism

I would reply to bismarcks posts but he seems to believe in this whole "pre emptive" war doctrine which imo is against everyone the west should stand for. To win this we need to have the moral high ground, we cannot let our principles such as innocent untill proven guilty suffer. Guantanamo bay has done far more damage than any suicide bomber.
Reply 36
Bismarck
In Vietnam, the US was actually defending an ally (South Vietnam) that was attacked by another country (North Vietnam). A loss in Vietnam meant South Vietnam being wiped off the map. A loss in Iraq is not going to lead to someone annexing Iraq or the terrorists coming to power. The US relied on proxies for over two decades before it got involved in Vietnam; it got involved in Iraq right away. Vietnam was helped by other countries, including the Soviet Union. No country is helping the insurgents in Iraq (not to the same extent anyway). The objective of Vietnam was to keep the communists from spreading to South Vietnam (even if this required supporting the authoritarian rulers of South Vietnam). The objective of Iraq was democracy promotion and regime change (and indirectly, energy security).

But the US was involved in both wars. And it didn't do too well in either. Therefore, the wars are identical. :rolleyes:

It's the same as Vietnam in the way that if the troops left Vietnam, they looked weak and if they didn't it would go on forever. So the only option would be to withdraw troops slowly so it does not make a huge impact immediately!

I don't know whether you're just TRYING to be difficult or whether you're just not capable of reading.
Bismarck
It isn't a battle for American satefy either, so I fail to see your point.

Yes it is, Bush said so. He gave a speech this week saying that American security depended on Iraq.
wipeandclean
If they did have weapons of mass destruction then you would not be saying we had no business going there, you would be sucking blairs balls.

We cant pull out, we have to see it through, i dont think its even going badly, Taleban are dying everyday in far greater numbers than us, and with the 2500 troops from the UN about to be put in i dont think this can be seen as illegal anymore either as the UN is donating troops. Well not directly but it is forcing other countries to donate, Poland are sending 1000 troops over.

No business being there? America are our allies and like it or not you have to accept that, they entered wars that were nothing to do with them, World War II in Europe for example, and to be honest without their added numbers we possibly would have lost the war, so they ask for our help i dont think you can just say no, bit selfish.

Condy rice said in a speech this week that if operations aren't stepped up, the Taleban would have gained a substantial amount of territory within 6 months, a huge setback for the war.
Reply 39
wipeandclean

It was fairly obvious that there were no weapons of mass destruction in the first place and if there was it would have been highly unlikely that Sadam would've used them on America or Britian.

Going to Afghanistan may have been justified to try and find Bin Laden but then how did Iraq come into the picture? It's George Bush trying to make himself a memorable President and finish the job his dad so majorly messed up.

Britian should never have gone and the troops should be removed. People are so scared of terrorist attacks but the only reason Britain is in danger is because Tony Blair has surgercially attached himself to Bush and virtually made himself redundant on the world stage. People go to Bush, bypassing Blair.

The troops should be removed so Britian can get out of the shadow of America and not go down in history as war criminals. The invasion has made America and Britain the same as the man they went in to remove

Latest

Trending

Trending